Nivel chip project

Status
Not open for further replies.

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC
Max-Nivel with dual 1800mAh, 20C lipo batts for loooong vape times between charges! :toast:

redmax1.jpg

Nivel v1.81 updates and changes...

Sweeeeeeet. Nice video mamu, and Max is gorgeous!!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Thanks, breaktru and Russ!

RED Max is indeed sweet!

What I found is Max with the dual 1800mAh, 20C lipo batts and the low internal resistance is exactly what I need to vape the Nivel at 15 watts and not get a sag in load. woohoo!! I am totally happy about that. :laugh:

I did the no load/load for the 18650 AW IMR batt (didn’t show it in the video though) and at higher watts it was getting a sag in load of 0.4v - 0.5v. gawd – that’s horrible and surprising that the AW batt would sag that much under load. But it is only 5C, whereas the batts I have in Max is 20C and with higher mAh.

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC
Thanks, breaktru and Russ!

RED Max is indeed sweet!

What I found is Max with the dual 1800mAh, 20C lipo batts and the low internal resistance is exactly what I need to vape the Nivel at 15 watts and not get a sag in load. woohoo!! I am totally happy about that. :laugh:

I did the no load/load for the 18650 AW IMR batt (didn’t show it in the video though) and at higher watts it was getting a sag in load of 0.4v - 0.5v. gawd – that’s horrible and surprising that the AW batt would sag that much under load. But it is only 5C, whereas the batts I have in Max is 20C and with higher mAh.

Nice! How do lower mAh lipo batts do under load?

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Nice! How do lower mAh lipo batts do under load?

That's hard to answer just going by the mAh of the batt as the mAh just tells you how long the batt will last while running a load at a specific current draw.

For example, you could have two lipo batts each with 1000mAh - one has a 2C discharge rating (able to handle up to 2A drain under load) and the other has a 10C discharge rating (able to handle up to 10A drain under load). In our vv/vw mods that need high drain batts where we're drawing 3 or more amps, the lipo with the 10C rating is going to handle the load and with less strain vs the lipo with the 2C rating, but both have the same mAh. The 2C lipo will be stressed to handle current drain at 2A and above and will not be safe.

You could also have a 1000mAh lipo batt that has a high internal resistance vs a 1000mAh lipo batt with a low internal resistance. No matter the discharge rating or even if both have the same discharge rating, the lipo with the lowest internal resistance will produce less voltage drop under load than the higher internal resistance batt. And as batts age and with repeated charges, the internal resistance rises.

Under load voltage drop also depends on the power setting (vaping at higher watts will have a higher voltage drop under load vs vaping at lower watts). When vaping at higher watts you really need a batt that has a high discharge rating and also low internal resistance to minimally affect the current drain and voltage drop under load.

Things like that - discharge rating of the batt, internal resistance of the batt, and power setting - can cause loaded voltage differences.

ETA: need to add sub ohm coils to that list too. :laugh:

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Tera-Nivel

Smaller than Stealthy and with more mAh than Lexi. How cool is that? :toast:

Tera-Nivel has a royal blue anodized aluminum case (66mm x 30mm x 27mm) and 1600mAh, 24A lipo pack (two 800mAh, 15C lipos in parallel).

I hadn't made a Nivel mod in a while and it was just really nice to re-visit the Nivel and work with it. It's totally the easiest modder's board to work with - prewired and no external parts other than an optional LED. With less parts and less cutouts in the case, shorter build time.

This Tera is already dibbed by one of my sons, but he won't get it til I vape with it a few charges. I've got it on the charger now giving the batts the first charge. Will be interesting to see how many minutes I get with vape time - I get 22 minutes with Lexi's 1500mAh batt, so should get a bit more with Tera's 1600mAh.

With these tiny mods, I use SMD fuses (2 in parallel for ~ 6A hold, 10A trip)... don't drop one else you'll never find it... ask me how I know. :laugh:
tera-n1a.jpg

Ready for the build...
tera-n1.jpg

It all fits... just barely (it's called creative packing)... :laugh:
tera-n2.jpg

pretty...
tera-n3.jpg

Size comparison with Stealthy and Lexi... dang - look how big Lexi looks and it's not a big mod at all... :laugh:
tera-n4.jpg

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Tera-Nivel

Smaller than Stealthy and with more mAh than Lexi. How cool is that? :toast:

Tera-Nivel has a royal blue anodized aluminum case (66mm x 30mm x 27mm) and 1600mAh, 24A lipo pack (two 800mAh, 15C lipos in parallel).

I hadn't made a Nivel mod in a while and it was just really nice to re-visit the Nivel and work with it. It's totally the easiest modder's board to work with - prewired and no external parts other than an optional LED. With less parts and less cutouts in the case, shorter build time.

This Tera is already dibbed by one of my sons, but he won't get it til I vape with it a few charges. I've got it on the charger now giving the batts the first charge. Will be interesting to see how many minutes I get with vape time - I get 22 minutes with Lexi's 1500mAh batt, so should get a bit more with Tera's 1600mAh.

With these tiny mods, I use SMD fuses (2 in parallel for ~ 6A hold, 10A trip)... don't drop one else you'll never find it... ask me how I know. :laugh:
tera-n1a.jpg

Ready for the build...
tera-n1.jpg

It all fits... just barely (it's called creative packing)... :laugh:
tera-n2.jpg

pretty...
tera-n3.jpg

Size comparison with Stealthy and Lexi... dang - look how big Lexi looks and it's not a big mod at all... :laugh:
tera-n4.jpg
Have two Nivel mods from Fazed and love them!! All of your work is beautiful. I hope to have one of your creations one day!!!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
How you stick in place C&K buttons?
Just stick it or glued it or on PCB ?

Both press fit in place and then epoxy.

Mamu
Would you mind sharing the source for those SMD fuses?

It's a fuse that another modder shared with us in either the Milo thread or the Stealthy thread. I think DrMa?

The part number is MINISMDC260F/16-2. You can find the best price by going to octopart.com and typing in the part number to find distributors. I bought the ones I have at digikey.com.

I solder 2 together in parallel. I have to use tweezers to do that. ugh. :laugh:

Littlefeather

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
Northern California
Both press fit in place and then epoxy.

It's a fuse that another modder shared with us in either the Milo thread or the Stealthy thread. I think DrMa?

The part number is MINISMDC260F/16-2. You can find the best price by going to octopart.com and typing in the part number to find distributors. I bought the ones I have at digikey.com.

I solder 2 together in parallel. I have to use tweezers to do that. ugh. :laugh:

Mamu
You mentioned holding down the tiny SMD components with tweezers. Here’s something I’ve used for years when working with very small items that I wanted to stay in place in tight spaces. CA glue works very well, but applying the glue in a very small area was always a challenge without having it flood everywhere! My solution may be right up your alley (quilters). Clip off the end of a sewing needle eyelet dip in thin CA glue and use a steady hand. The sewing machine needles shown that have a slot and are the largest I use and hold more fluid but I also go down as small as a glover’s needle. The capillary action of the eyelet acts like the old quill ink pens. One can get in very tight spaces without a big mess.
Needle CA Applicators-1.jpg Needle CA Applicators-2.jpg Needle CA Applicators-3.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
To be in compliance with ECF's policy on modding and the practice of modding, I will no longer share my modding knowledge, or share modding tutorials here at ECF.

You all know where you can find me.
Mamu

FOLLOWING ANY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY BE DANGEROUS AND IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK

Modders Advice and Tutorials: Hazards, Warnings, and Rules for Posting
Some members post advice and tutorials on making custom variations of ecigarettes, otherwise known as 'modding', to create 'mods'. Please be advised that these Members do so at their own risk, and following their instructions is also at your own risk.

If not done properly, modding can be dangerous and cause injury should these devices short circuit and explode. For example, only double-protected rechargeable batteries must be used.

ECF does not approve or condone the use of mods or the practice of modding or the following of instructions here by any person. ECF is not advocating the use of instructions posted by any Member. Anyone that chooses to follow any information or instructions contained in Member posts does so at their own risk. ECF reserves the right to remove any posts that it deems to be dangerous but cannot guarantee or confirm in any way that we have removed all (or any) such posts.

Guidelines for Tutorials
Tutorials must advocate safety and should employ the use of protected batteries, switches correctly rated for the expected DC current, lead free solider, properly-gauged wiring, and non-excessive amperages.ECF reserves the right to remove any posts that do not adhere to these rules.

Caution
If you decide to try any Modding, either seen here or devised by yourself, consider carefully if you have the technical skill, and the risks involved. You are strongly advised to take all precautionary measures and be prepared for possible battery shorts or any other issues. You should consider wearing protective equipment such as eyeshields.

Disclaimer
Any information contained in this Forum is acted on at the user's own risk.ECF cannot be held responsible for individuals causing injury or even death to themselves or others by following information in this Forum.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Thread closed as per OP request

The disclaimer has been in place for several years - no "new" policies

Every member or guest accessing this forum for the first time see the disclaimer and have the choice to close the notice.
Once they close the notice - it is no longer accessible for view.

FOLLOWING ANY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY BE DANGEROUS AND IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK
Modders Advice and Tutorials: Hazards, Warnings, and Rules for Posting
Some members post advice and tutorials on making custom variations of ecigarettes, otherwise known as 'modding', to create 'mods'. Please be advised that these Members do so at their own risk, and following their instructions is also at your own risk.

If not done properly, modding can be dangerous and cause injury should these devices short circuit and explode. For example, only double-protected rechargeable batteries must be used.

ECF does not approve or condone the use of mods or the practice of modding or the following of instructions here by any person. ECF is not advocating the use of instructions posted by any Member. Anyone that chooses to follow any information or instructions contained in Member posts does so at their own risk. ECF reserves the right to remove any posts that it deems to be dangerous but cannot guarantee or confirm in any way that we have removed all (or any) such posts.

Guidelines for Tutorials
Tutorials must advocate safety and should employ the use of protected batteries, switches correctly rated for the expected DC current, lead free solider, properly-gauged wiring, and non-excessive amperages.ECF reserves the right to remove any posts that do not adhere to these rules.

Caution
If you decide to try any Modding, either seen here or devised by yourself, consider carefully if you have the technical skill, and the risks involved. You are strongly advised to take all precautionary measures and be prepared for possible battery shorts or any other issues. You should consider wearing protective equipment such as eyeshields.

Disclaimer
Any information contained in this Forum is acted on at the user's own risk.ECF cannot be held responsible for individuals causing injury or even death to themselves or others by following information in this Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread