Njoy sold at CVS pharmacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassavetes

Moved On
Aug 6, 2009
Michigan
Trust me - it isn't a principaled or moral decision. One VP told me that they hold weekly discussions on how to increase and restore the lost tobacco sales from the April legal and tax slams

Wow, I'm blown away to learn that tobacco sales were effected at all.

I always thought the two products that could withstand a tax hike or economic depression would be tobacco and alcohol.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Yep.

Stores were hit in early April when all Marlboro products jumped about 85 cents a pack. It was a preemptive strike by PM and smokers thought that was the actual tax. Then when the tax really did go into effect, smokers and retail stores were hit again. To add insult to injury, there was another floor tax on any products that were still in the stores in May.

This was all followed by states enforcing their own individual state cigarette taxes yet again! Down here on the Gulf Coast, I-10 drug smugglers were replaced by folks racing between FL, AL, MS, and LA to buy carloads of cartons from the states that hadn't enacted their own additional taxes.

All in all, cigarettes almost doubled in less than six weeks.

louann5840

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
Tampa, Fl
www.myspace.com
That's when I quit. I knew the prices were gonna go WAY up, and now it's only 7 months later and it's 6-7 bucks a pack. A lot of people just can't stumache that. If you smoked 2 packs a day like I did, I'd be paying 12-14 dollars a day. I could buy a car for that. Thats $360 a month/4320 a year. OR more. Now if I wanted alcohol on top of that.......

cassavetes

Moved On
Aug 6, 2009
Michigan
smugglers were replaced by folks racing between FL, AL, MS, and LA

Ah, I remember the days of visiting family in both OH and NC, coming home with cartons of cheap Marlboros.

Back in the day you could order your cartons online, avoiding state tax...that was until the government cracked down and began prosecuting online merchants/buyers.

Tristar4

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
New Jersey
Ah, I remember the days of visiting family in both OH and NC, coming home with cartons of cheap Marlboros.

Oh do I know what you mean! My mission in life used to be to check out local cigarette prices whenever I traveled out of state for work. Compared to what I paid in NJ it was usually a sweet deal and I'd come home with a stock pile. :D

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Why on earth would you want to pay that kind of cash for those kits or carts. I also don't believe that flavors will be limited to regular or menthol. Waaay too much hand wringing over something that is still up in the air. Let's see if cooler heads prevail before we proclaim that the sky is falling.

That is already a mandate. If Judge Leon rules that the e-cig is a tobacco product, the new tobacco legislation specifically mandates that the only flavoring that can be used is menthol. Little late to be in denial---regulation is coming no matter how Judge Leon rules.

Sun

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
That is already a mandate. If Judge Leon rules that the e-cig is a tobacco product, the new tobacco legislation specifically mandates that the only flavoring that can be used is menthol. Little late to be in denial---regulation is coming no matter how Judge Leon rules.

Sun

What is the date of this hearing??? I just recently found out about Judge Leon.

Somebody quick, toss him a decent kit! :D

JacobT26

May 12, 2009
Yep.

Stores were hit in early April when all Marlboro products jumped about 85 cents a pack. It was a preemptive strike by PM and smokers thought that was the actual tax. Then when the tax really did go into effect, smokers and retail stores were hit again. To add insult to injury, there was another floor tax on any products that were still in the stores in May.

This was all followed by states enforcing their own individual state cigarette taxes yet again! Down here on the Gulf Coast, I-10 drug smugglers were replaced by folks racing between FL, AL, MS, and LA to buy carloads of cartons from the states that hadn't enacted their own additional taxes.

All in all, cigarettes almost doubled in less than six weeks.

I remember that all coming down... Prices go up to make up for lost sales because prices rising, so states upped their taxes to make up for lost taxes because of less people buying as the price rises... But hey, it was for the children! Or, rather, it went to an increase in welfare. That might help out children.

County and city taxes also jumped, iirc, a pack where I live can cost anywhere from $10-14, not to mention a tin of Top went up to $35 from about $12...

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Most Pilot truck stops have been selling them also.... About 2 months ago the kits were 49.99-59.99 for the two bat NPro Kits. 19.99 for the carts.

Ironicly, that was where I tried one of my first kits. It lasted all of about two days. We originally carried 11 models before the cost of replacing warranty batts and attys made it clear the cheaper models just weren't worth selling.

I'd be curious if "flavors" include things like MLB (Marlboro) or Hilton or if the ban would consider those as "tobacco/regular" and make them ok. I would assume any ban would be on things like grape, chocolate and butter-pecan-mango-cotton-candy-with-a-hint-of-lime flavors.

Christina

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
US/Pennsylvania
twoaz1.com
I think that is certainly true fish provided we can still get liquids at all. The flavorings are used to make candy and other such things so they wouldn't fall into this kind of regulation. However, I see this potentially going to non-refillable carts or cartomizers at low levels of nicotine, as a means of regulation and taxation.

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
When the anti-fruit-flavor tobacco legislation passed, I was very worried, because I work at a hukka bar part-time in the summers. So far, no change there. People are still sitting down to apple, guava, clove, etc.

As I recall the legislation gave the FDA the authority to regulate fruit flavors. It did not mandate it to do so.

IANAN

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Ironicly, that was where I tried one of my first kits. It lasted all of about two days. We originally carried 11 models before the cost of replacing warranty batts and attys made it clear the cheaper models just weren't worth selling.

The RN4081 is a fickle beast for sure... but the attys tend to hold up less you run em dry.... how were you destroying the attys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread