No Smoking (even e-cigarettes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sea

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
2013-10-08 08.38.01.jpg

I was greeted by the poster on the train today. While I understand there are a myriad of reasons Metro Transit may not want me or anyone to vape on the train, I am most appalled by my state's lawmakers' abilities knowledge of basic chemical properties. Smoking, really?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
e-cigs are not banned by minnesota state law other than require a tobacco license to sell
which means no sales to minors.
the state of minnesota i think bans them on there property.
not by law but by policy.
the rail routes the metro transit uses are by law owned by the state hence there policy.
its miss stated though,there is no law against it.
its the same on the buses,because of the metro transit and metro area commissions policies.

that being said after having talked about this with a friend who is an employee of the
metro transit authority the un-official policy is to ignore it if its discrete and no one complains.
the timely,orderly and safe operations of the bus and or train have priority.
just be careful around stops downtown or where the metro police like to hang out as they
will cheerfully ticket you.

regards
mike

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
I believe because it's on government property it is unlawful to disregard posted rules. One of toughs red tape things.

I live in Seattle, it's not a state law, but a county law. He also quoted it wrong, not eating on bus is nowhere a law, just a VERY unenforced policy (tons of people eat on the bus, including myself, since downtown Seattle doesn't really lend itself to optimal gas/electric auto commute :confused:). They probably don't enforce on bus, but if it's crowded (some people standing), I'd seriously wait, you can't even stealth vape in this situation, and someone is definitely going to complain (cranky and all).

What will happen? They won't call the police, because it's not against the law as a criminal act, they would put you off the bus (probably first ask you to stop, and THEN put you off if you continued). If you start calling the driver foul names and won't get off the bus, they will call the police, the bus will stand at the stop, passengers will yell at you, someone will go postal, and the cops will probably arrest you and the postal person for something other than smoking an ecig.

Just be prepared. (lives close to downtown Seattle).

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
They have a new sign now that e-cigarettes are prohibited. I'm not interested in vaping on the train or on busses, but vaping outside on the platform seems harmless and that's prohibited too.

Well, SMOKING outside would be harmless too (from an health perspective), since there is no proper study to show us the 'dangers' of SHS out in the open. That did not keep the nannying tyrants from accomplishing outdoor smoking bans.

So, there you have it: smoking bans stopped being about 'health' a long time ago. Including a smokeLESS alternative in a no-SMOKING law is the next step towards insanity. AFAIK, some places are also banning CHEWING tobacco (no smoke, not even vapour) in said no-SMOKING bans... :confused: "Will someone think of the chiiiiiiildren, please??"

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Yesterday, I was sitting in a waiting room, calmly reading my Kindle. Someone came up to me, and said "no electronics." My feathers started getting ruffled, until she pointed to the "No smoking sign," and I realized that she was referring to my pacifier. I said "Even if there is no nicotine?", as I was putting it away. She (knowing me) laughed and said "That's the rule." I calmly continued with my book, considering that banning electronic books was in the same class as banning electronic vaping devices (especially when not a cigalike).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread