OBS Engine Mini Sub Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I like the engine and actually dusted it off this past weekend and through a build in it. A couple of things I noticed right off the bat. The flavor is good but it's not great and it is way to airy for me. For some reason I though I remembered the flavor being better but on second thought it's no surprise the deck and bell are fairly large which really cuts down on flavor. Positive things I remembered it is very easy to wick and the wicking keeps up wonderfully.

If the mini has a smaller deck/bell then the ref it shouls be a great vape. Also there is an engine nano being released that is single coil. However it is still 25mm so I hope they shrunk the deck or I probably won't pick it up

Please update when it arrives !

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I just received 2 OBS Sub tanks. 1 standard 24.5mm sub tank and 1 mini 23mm sub tank. They are identical except for the larger diameter and juice capacity; 5.3ml capacity vs. 3.5ml.
Machining, fit and finish is average compared to other sub tanks I've had.
Airflow is ample and relatively quite at all settings. No detectable whistling.
Both tanks came with 2ea. 17mm .2 ohm OCC wicked SS Notch coils. Not sure of the SS wire type. Works nicely in 304SS TC mode set to 450°f.
Washed the tank parts thoroughly and flavor seems good but I'm detecting a faint machine oil taste. Hopefully that will go away after a tank or two.

Perhaps @Roadtrip635 can chime in with his take on this new offering from OBS.

More later.

ETA/Updated: The notch coils are SS. Possibly 304ss.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
OBS Engine Sub Tank Distinctly Different:

Further study of the physics of these OBS Sub Tanks shows that they do not work in the same way as any other RTA or Factory Coil sub tank that I have ever reviewed.

Typically all tanks, whether top airflow adjustable or side airflow adjustable, have a seal between the central air tube and the atomizer chamber in order to create a low chamber pressure which aids in drawing juice from the tank during each pull. The Engine sub tanks do not have this seal and therefore rely more on the capillary action of the wicking in the enormous coil to pull juice from the tank.
Apparently this works quite well as I'm comfortably chain vaping at 75w with no dry hits.
ETA: Unless the AFC is closed down primer puffing doesn't appear to do much if anything.
As the day progresses I'll continue raising the power to see if this atty will perform at its rated 100w.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Spent all day with the Sub Mini. It does very well in the 50-90w range. No leaking, flooding or spit back and super easy to fill.
Flavor is better than most other sub tanks I've tried. Flavor is on par with the Tornado Nano Chip Coils but way better than an Atlantis or Crown. Also a little better than the TFV8 T6 coils I've tried.
As with all factory coil tanks and RTAs vacuum is the enemy. As expected the flavor and vapor density vary a little as juice level drops in the tank.
Overall, I would recommend this as a "flavor" sub tank in the 75-85w range but it will chunk some pretty healthy clouds at 100w, albeit not in chain vaping fashion.

This tank actually fits my vaping style quite nicely ie 6-8 3sec pulls in quick secession at 80w. Very nice indeed.
Time will tell how the coils hold up but it hasn't slowed down yet after 25ml.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Ok, as expected I'm beginning to experience some lessening of juice flow. After 35ml of "Lemon Cheese Crank", not a super clean ejuice, I've had to turn down the power down some. Now vaping at 75w. We'll see if the coils will reach the 60ml mark where I normally rewick my RDTAs .
Side note: Now that the OCC coils have broken in entirely the flavor is very good. I'm noticing a slight lack in the Lemon flavor as compared to my RDTAs but the pastry and cheese flavor notes are very distinct.
Also, no leaking or flooding present at all. Apparently the special outer layer of wicking is doing it's job.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
SS Notch Coil after 50ml. Still pretty clean looking....
IMG_20170123_154012_122-1.jpg

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I just received 2 OBS Sub tanks. 1 standard 24.5mm sub tank and 1 mini 23mm sub tank. They are identical except for the larger diameter and juice capacity; 5.3ml capacity vs. 3.5ml.
Machining, fit and finish is average compared to other sub tanks I've had.
Airflow is ample and relatively quite at all settings. No detectable whistling.
Both tanks came with 2ea. 17mm .2 ohm OCC wicked SS Notch coils. Not sure of the SS wire type. Works nicely in 304SS TC mode set to 450°f.
Washed the tank parts thoroughly and flavor seems good but I'm detecting a faint machine oil taste. Hopefully that will go away after a tank or two.

Perhaps @Roadtrip635 can chime in with his take on this new offering from OBS.

More later.

ETA/Updated: The notch coils are SS. Possibly 304ss.
I was hoping to get the full size OBS Sub Tank today, but didn't show. It should be here tomorrow, as soon as it arrives and have a little time with it, I will definitely leave my impression. I got my HCigar VT Inbox squonker yesterday and have been enjoying the heck out of it so far.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
@cigatron, out of curiosity, do you have a Pico? I'm curious if the 23 mm mini will fit. Could be a nice little travel setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, no Pico in my line up. My idea of a travel rig is carrying a dna75 instead of a dna200. :lol:

Seriously though, both the Pico mod and the Sub Mini are 23mm. I would think it would be a great match up.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I got my OBS Engine Sub Tank 25mm from Heaven Gifts, last week. I'm a fan of the Engine tanks and the Engine Sub Tank has not disappointed. On the outside, it looks just like the Engine RTAs, but the top down airflow works a little differently. The airflow is great, smooth and quiet, I run it about 2/3 open. I'm getting a nice, warm, dense and flavorful vape. The coil wicks well, no problems with dry hits at all. The coils are rated for 40-100w and I've been liking it at about 70w. The tank doesn't get hot, easy to fill, and of course no leaking or seeping. I like that there is no condensation at all seeping from the tank.

I've gone through about 60ml and the coils are still doing great. I'm curious to find out how long these coils will last. The tank sits flush on the mods I've tried it on, no connection problems. The only thing I've been a bit disappointed about is choice of coils. I was hoping there would also be a 0.4 or 0.5 coil as well, but hopefully they will be coming out soon. It's been a very nice tank so far and have been very happy with it!

obs%20sub2_zpskuhozclk.jpg

Here's an OBS family photo (Mini RTA, 25mm RTA and 25mm Sub)

obs%20family1_zpsqxp30jrd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread