Office ban on vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

myers1006

Aug 21, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I know there are hundreds of post on here about this topic and this is more of me venting than anything but,...

I work in a small office and everything normally goes pretty smoothly, there are 7 of us that vape at our desk everyday but we have one lady that decided to complain after 2 years that she doesn't like the smell and it is causing her emotional distress to put up with everyone vaping in the office. This lady is the one in the office that has 12 pots of flowers, 20 candles, inscents, her dog and the radio playing on a station that no one likes except her.

So today I am making a formal complaint about her scented items accompanied by a doctors note (I am honestly sensitive to some smells and they give me a slight headache) describing my headaches from smells and light I have had since I was little, I hate the smell of coffee and don't drink it but it's getting lumped into my complaint to be a ******* and how her having the blinds open lets natural light in and could set off my headaches. This isn't the first thing she has complained about, she complained about the dog I brought because it looked mean so I can't bring my dog even though he is 100% trained and literally sat next to my desk for 6 hours after I picked him up from the vet, she complained about the smell of food when I was busy and eat at my desk, she complained about my music (FFDP station) on pandora so now 50's-80's country is the only acceptable music, she complained about I had a bigger monitor than her (17inch vs 18inch) so she got a 26 inch because she said she couldn't see the small ones. She is just the office complainer and really just wish she would quit or retire because my boss just goes with whatever rules she comes up with so he doesn't have to listen to her complain. Okay I am done venting for now and if you actually took the time to read it, Thanks

myers1006

Aug 21, 2012
Tulsa, OK
She just complained about the smell not health affects because she is an analog smoker and thinks vaping is ridiculous and couldn't be any safer than her camel turkish royals.
I know there are hundreds of post on here about this topic and this is more of me venting than anything but,...

I work in a small office and everything normally goes pretty smoothly, there are 7 of us that vape at our desk everyday but we have one lady that decided to complain after 2 years that she doesn't like the smell and it is causing her emotional distress to put up with everyone vaping in the office. This lady is the one in the office that has 12 pots of flowers, 20 candles, inscents, her dog and the radio playing on a station that no one likes except her.

So today I am making a formal complaint about her scented items accompanied by a doctors note (I am honestly sensitive to some smells and they give me a slight headache) describing my headaches from smells and light I have had since I was little, I hate the smell of coffee and don't drink it but it's getting lumped into my complaint to be a ******* and how her having the blinds open lets natural light in and could set off my headaches. This isn't the first thing she has complained about, she complained about the dog I brought because it looked mean so I can't bring my dog even though he is 100% trained and literally sat next to my desk for 6 hours after I picked him up from the vet, she complained about the smell of food when I was busy and eat at my desk, she complained about my music (FFDP station) on pandora so now 50's-80's country is the only acceptable music, she complained about I had a bigger monitor than her (17inch vs 18inch) so she got a 26 inch because she said she couldn't see the small ones. She is just the office complainer and really just wish she would quit or retire because my boss just goes with whatever rules she comes up with so he doesn't have to listen to her complain. Okay I am done venting for now and if you actually took the time to read it, Thanks

steveo9043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Chicago IL
We are afraid of adding fuel to the fire, she only has these complaining sessions once every 4 or 5 weeks but I am about ready to just dump 5 gallons of gas on her fire and kick her off her soapbox:evil:

the worse part is going to be when the boss doesn't do anything about your complaint. It's just going to make you more upset.

myers1006

Aug 21, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Oh well we all have been "Ninja vaping" for the last two days just to test. She made the comment in the break room at lunch today that it smells much better now that no one is smoking inside. I'm pretty sure the owner will be okay with getting rid of the candles, he always says he hates coming to this part of the office because of the mulberry and linen scent. He knows that she is the complainer but she is 60 or 70 and due to retire soon so maybe this will help make it sooner than later.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
she is the complainer but she is 60 or 70 and due to retire soon so maybe this will help make it sooner than later.

Will you trade her for our 20-something first-time manager (not my boss) with the metal cleats on her boots and the parade ground voice. We can honestly hear this woman from the break area outside of the building, 20 feet away and through a concrete wall and a steel door. She shrieks at the top of her lungs, clearly for attention, and repeats every phrase and sentence 2 or 3 times ...

This same person has, on several occasions, complained about the smell from smokers in an area 50 yards from her office window. This is in a sealed building. Apparently smoke can penetrate triple pane glass ...:rolleyes:

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
I'd complain about her smoking, smelling like smoke and excessive smoke breaks. I'd also get her an ego twist and evod as a gift. Get her a retirement card and have everyone sign it. Say something like. Sorry to see you go. Hope this gift lets you live a few more years into your retirement. If she says she's not retiring yet tell her its an early retiring gift. I'd also say something like "if you keep smoking those analogs Jesus will give you a mandatory early out. Lol.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
The accepted definition of freedom is "You can do anything you wish as long as it does not offend anyone else". If you toss in the ringer pursuit of happiness the definition changes to " You can do anything you want particularly if it offends someone else". Everyone has their own special rights until there are no rights left to go around. Every time I come across someone that offends me the words of my father ring loud and true in my ear. "Well son it's a free country".

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well, I can consider myself blessed then :

Now vapers, former heavy smokers, we're pretty laid back about the whole thing. Folks from the other offices ( it's a huge building with lots of companies ) drop by every now and then to have a quick .... And we're not below bumming the odd analog off them. Building is of course officially non-smoking :) . But as I said, we're not 'religious' about the whole matter.

But there are limits.

Had someone like that too at another workplace. Watering plants, feeding the dog, walking the dog, having a smoke break, lighting the candles, giving the plants some pep talk for better growth, etc,etc. Got to a point where I pointedly and loudly wondered if there was any time left for getting the workload done....

It's ok to personalize a workplace, after all, you might be spending more waking hours there than at home, but physical presence alone at what some might view as an extended living room isn't enough to justify a paycheck...

Lana79

Dec 4, 2012
Serbia
I've been translating/interpreting a month-long training, and trainers and several trainees had been vapers, me and the other interpreter included. Well, she was actually a smoker, but used e-cig when she couldn't get out for a break.

A week into it, two ladies, one ex smoker with layered perfumes I might have worn individually for special occasions, started preaching that e-cigs are worse than "the real thing", and another heavy smoker joined in. The other non-vapers were like "c'mon, shut up, you always complain!" Finally, she went to their superior (although head of department, also attending, was against it) head of division and asked for a ban. Little did she know that during managers' training few weeks before, we (trainers and yours truly) converted the boss. ;)

So, she was given two options: to establish more frequent breaks, so we can get our "nicotine supplementation therapy" and extend total duration of training without overtime payment, or if she finds evidence that second-hand vape is dangerous and evidence of at least 10 batteries exploding and harming someone sitting 6 feet away, the ban will be introduced.

My close friend, never smoker, married to the nazzi-anti-smoker, is glad when I vape at her home, because I don't have to go outside and get my nic fix. Her hubby has a software development company and after seeing me and several other friends using e-cigs, had bought e-cigs for all of his in-office smokers, together with fine assortment of liquids. Being sweets addict, he took up 0 nic chocolate and lost 10 pounds. There is even his photo vaping cig-a-like in their family album, with note "That's what marriage does to you!"

Trying to make a point: jerks will always find something to complain about. Getting wider acceptance may help, especially by those who are heavy opposition to "regular smoking".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread