Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Posted this in the "musicians check in here" thread, but you guys thoughts are always appreciated...

Allright, so how crazy is this? Been going mad playing acoustic lately, and rediscovering open D (and open E, obviously) and having a blast. SO many inspiring things open tunings bring about. So I had this real crazy thought. Now, I'm gonna be 65 (mentally/musically 22) in a few months. Haven't played out since the 70's.But...but...I'm thinking I'd like to get a band together again! Not covers, but originals. Kind of acoustic/R&R stuff, kinda like Stone's Beggar's Banquet period, Black Crowes, etc. IDK, that's probably pretty dumb, right? At this age? Hmmm...what to choose, sanity or craziness?.............

I'm actually pretty much where Moonie is... but I'll play the DA on this since I'm familiar with the requirements etc some...

Remember... the equipment must still be hauled in and out before/after each gig... no matter when or where you and the group finds a place that you want to play at. In the bands I ran sound in... the sound equipment was a all members responsibility and the individual's instruments and equipment were each their own. In otherwords, the heavy stuff ( speakers, amps and to some extent drums because they are large/bulky ) was done by everyone and the lighter stuff by the individuals. Today's equipment, if what you use is newer stuff, is lighter than what we had back in the day... so that helps.

Check out the types of places you are thinking of playing in/at. Are they having the same or similar style/genre of music you and the group would be likely to want to play. Where are you planning to practice at... is it "band" friendly because you don't want a bunch of ...... off neighbors that may call the cops either. Practicing up to three times and playing two times a week can be hectic not to mention trying to keep 3-4 weeks a month booked up.

It seems the older we are... the more we tend to think we know it all, are set in our ways and less likely to compromise because.. well, we've already paid our dues ( so to speak )... I recall how the lead singers and guitar players tended to act as if it was because of them that the band was able to exist even it they didn't do all of the logistics that actually made it happen. Being more mature, doesn't always bring more mature thought it seems.

Ok... enough of that... I can't think of anything more enjoyable than getting together with a group of like minded musicians. It does take a bit of work to get things together and to make things sound tight... But once your there and in the groove... it's way too much fun. While the inner politics of a group can be annoying at times and hauling equipment around a pain in the .... ( ok, at our age... it's the joints more :D ) ... it's still very much worth it.

My uncle is in a bluegrass band... he's well into his 80's and still enjoys it a lot. Due to his ( and probably the others ) physical condition... they don't play often but they do still get out and play. There is a lot of work involved.. but nothing worthwhile comes without some price.

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
th
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
Posted this in the "musicians check in here" thread, but you guys thoughts are always appreciated...

Allright, so how crazy is this? Been going mad playing acoustic lately, and rediscovering open D (and open E, obviously) and having a blast. SO many inspiring things open tunings bring about. So I had this real crazy thought. Now, I'm gonna be 65 (mentally/musically 22) in a few months. Haven't played out since the 70's.But...but...I'm thinking I'd like to get a band together again! Not covers, but originals. Kind of acoustic/R&R stuff, kinda like Stone's Beggar's Banquet period, Black Crowes, etc. IDK, that's probably pretty dumb, right? At this age? Hmmm...what to choose, sanity or craziness?.............
DO IT J !!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
Amarillo, TX
here is the latest MoonLit Productions release

That's a great video Moonwater. Did Warren Zevon write that song? I'm used to hearing Steve Winwood's version. Warren had a wicked sense of humor from the stuff I've heard of his!

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
That's a great video Moonwater. Did Warren Zevon write that song? I'm used to hearing Steve Winwood's version. Warren had a wicked sense of humor from the stuff I've heard of his!

Thanks Doozie, Nope Warren didn't write that. Just did a cover version of it. Steve Winwood and Will Jennings wrote it.

And yes Warren has an awesome sense of humor evident in many of his songs/lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread