Ohm Readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
My target build is a dual coil .5 ohms for my RDAs. When I use my ohm checker I do get it at .5 ohms. However, when I put it in my VS rDNA 40, it reads the build as .4 ohms. When I put it in my SX Mini it reads it as .6 ohms. It still vapes good no matter what which mod I use. I was just wondering which one is the most accurate reading. I prefer not to go below .5 ohms. Thanks.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I usually trust my ohm reader. I figure since it's a dedicated device with basically one purpose, it's reliable. If you're getting within .1 of a build, you're golden. I have stock coils that have .5 written right on the side and they read .4 on my istick, MVP, and IPV4. After 2 years of building, I don't always get what I want but if I'm close I feel good about it. Don't worry and vape it. :)

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I usually trust my ohm reader. I figure since it's a dedicated device with basically one purpose, it's reliable. If you're getting within .1 of a build, you're golden. I have stock coils that have .5 written right on the side and they read .4 on my istick, MVP, and IPV4. After 2 years of building, I don't always get what I want but if I'm close I feel good about it. Don't worry and vape it. :)

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Though I will say a dedicated ohm reader 'can' be off slightly if the batteries or 510 spring are weak. I prefer an ohm reader with a fixed 510 my atty can bottom out on securely.

Personally I don't get too hung up on a tenth of an ohm for a kanthal build, hell not even a nickel build on a regulated device. I just make my build, make sure things heat up evenly and adjust settings to get my vape.

My two main mods are an SX Mini and rDNA40, and .4 is well within what either is capable of handling.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Extech UM200 Micro Ohm-Meter - Multitools - Amazon.com

Get the one with the NIST certification.

But seriously, I have been tempted many times to buy one of the lower priced Extech milliohm meters. But I haven't done so since coil resistance is the only thing I would use it for and I can't quite justify it for myself.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
You have to remember, the readings you see are from chips that may or may not be calibrated accurately. If you're doing kanthal builds, .1 ohm is generally considered accurate enough. Depending on how it is measured, .5 could mean anything between .46 and .54 if it is rounded up/down. IMHO, you only need more accuracy when you start getting down around .2 and below. And if you really need to see what it actually is down there, you'll need something like a Fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread