PG sensitivity - Kidney/flank ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinetekerz

Sep 7, 2016
Hey,

Just seeing if anyone else has issues in regards to kidney / flank ache when vaping PG?

I've only been vaping now for around 2 months, started with 50/50 cheap juice and had originally noticed a "tightening" of the throat after vaping but this subsided pretty quick and after also moving onto 70/30 VG/PG premium juice, i had no issues.

Few weeks ago started noticing an ache particular when moving side to side or sat in an odd posture, that feels like bruising on my right had side, towards the side/back which im pretty sure is the kidney region lol. This started to progress to the point where i noticed after a 5 minute vaping sesh, i could feel the ache without bringing it on via moving and it slowly started to move to me left kidney region also.

Anyway, done a lot of reading online and read that PG can cause kidney problems, of course this wasn't stating that vaping PG can do that as there is not enough studies yet, but handling it in factories, intravenous medical use, ETC can.

Started experimenting with my own DIY after reading about it and used 90 VG 10 PG (10 being flavouring) and although the symptoms got much better, they where still there after a good sesh, just not as bad. Finally moved on to 100% VG unflavoured as unfortunately all my flavours are PG :( the symptoms subsided within maybe 2 days, no more issues with the ache/pain when vaping, very odd!

Bit of a bummer really as i now have some half used premium juice from the shops and also some i had been experimenting with DIY and loved my churros and custard juice! Ahh well hopefully after getting some VG flavours i may be able to make something as nice :)

Just thought id share my experiences!

Happy vaping :)

• Agree
Reactions: Hesham911

Tilted34

Sep 13, 2016
I'm having a similar problem, just mine started very recently. I have just started vaping and it's been about close to a month now, I had bought some juice called smurf cake. Well I started to feel gasy and please excuse me but fart a lot, well today I tried a different juice by TWITCHED and it took it to another level. It gave me ........ real bad. I've been reading upon multiple other cases that people are having the same problem. Some say it's the VG other the PG that you can be allergic to, so I don't know where to go with this? Maybe expirement and see if it's one or the other by getting 100% pure of each? If I do this can you buy it at a vape shop or do you have to mix your own and flavor it as well?

• Agree

BonesK98K

Jan 26, 2012
Alberta, Canada
funny you should mention it. i have had this for quite some time and really didnt think much of it. it used to concern me a bit and then it would go away and I would forget about it. Probably surpasing the 2 year mark on the flank discomfort. weird as my flank discomfort is only on the right side as well...

I have always been a high pg vaper. vg doesnt agree with me gives me the heavy lung and actual pain when too high of vg content. was at 80pg/20 at first then dropped to 70/30 now at. 60/40 any lower pg gives me the heavy lung

i always attributed the flank pain to just muscle pain but maybe there is more to it. may get the ole kidneys checked

Kinetekerz

Sep 7, 2016
funny you should mention it. i have had this for quite some time and really didnt think much of it. it used to concern me a bit and then it would go away and I would forget about it. Probably surpasing the 2 year mark on the flank discomfort. weird as my flank discomfort is only on the right side as well...

I have always been a high pg vaper. vg doesnt agree with me gives me the heavy lung and actual pain when too high of vg content. was at 80pg/20 at first then dropped to 70/30 now at. 60/40 any lower pg gives me the heavy lung

i always attributed the flank pain to just muscle pain but maybe there is more to it. may get the ole kidneys checked

Hi Bones!

Wow you've hung on in there for a while then! It's weird because the only thing i can think it is doing is causing inflammation (In my particular case) as it comes on very quick if i start vaping a 30/70 PG/VG mix so i cant assume it being a Kidney stone or disease as i don't have any other symptoms such as bloody urine ETC. It also starts to feel "bruised" on the area of my skin above the area after a few days of vaping a higher PG mix. For some reason with all the years of smoking, having saw lungs and never really thinking about it, as soon as it was my kidneys it freaked me out haha.

I would defiantly recommend trying to mix your own. You can get 100ml of each PG & VG for £5. You would probably want to get a sweetener concentrate also, it is a PG concentrate but due to how sweet it is you only need a few drops per 10ml, it wont affect you and it'll just make the unflavoured juice a bit nicer. If you are having issues with VG then i would recommend mixing it with pure water (Pharma grade) down to the viscosity that your used to with PG, generally ill mix it at 94-95% VG and 5-6% Pure water and that helps a lot and seems the same viscosity as 30/70 Pg/VG. If i vape straight 100% VG its very harsh on my throat & will occasionally ache my lungs but with water added its all good. Then once you know what it is causing the issue buy some flavour concentrates that are either PG/VG/Alcohol Whatever wasn't causing the issue) and start mixing your own! :)

Hope all go's well, happy vaping!

Kinetekerz

Sep 7, 2016
I'm having a similar problem, just mine started very recently. I have just started vaping and it's been about close to a month now, I had bought some juice called smurf cake. Well I started to feel gasy and please excuse me but fart a lot, well today I tried a different juice by TWITCHED and it took it to another level. It gave me ........ real bad. I've been reading upon multiple other cases that people are having the same problem. Some say it's the VG other the PG that you can be allergic to, so I don't know where to go with this? Maybe expirement and see if it's one or the other by getting 100% pure of each? If I do this can you buy it at a vape shop or do you have to mix your own and flavor it as well?

Hi Tilted!

Although VG can cause issues i believe there is a far higher chance of it being a PG sensitivity. Although im no doctor this is just going by the many posts found here and on other forums in regards to health and vaping.

It's much easier to establish what it is causing issues when you DIY. With that in mind i would definitely recommenced mixing your own.

Unfortunately most vape shops are not going to have the base materials, due to the money they make from pre-mixed juices. You will find many vaping websites that sell it just make sure you look for USP grade. Start with a small bottle of both VG & PG, get some nicotine if you vape it, and also some sweetener. Then mix a batch thats very high in VG (95/5) and if after 3 days the issues haven't subsidised then go for a higher PG mix and you will soon establish what it was causing the problems.

If you need any help with the DIY and flavours ETC just give me a message.

Hope all go's well, happy vaping!

Reactions: Tilted34

Doublestemcell

Moved On
Oct 10, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys. Mine will ache under certain conditions: too much caffeine or a shocking event ( slamming on the brakes to avoid a car accident, having a bee get in the car window and fly in my face, getting a phone call that someone has died, etc).

The only reason I mention this is that nicotine, like caffeine, is a stimulant. Too much nic may make your adrenal glands ache.

Kinetekerz

Sep 7, 2016
Your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys. Mine will ache under certain conditions: too much caffeine or a shocking event ( slamming on the brakes to avoid a car accident, having a bee get in the car window and fly in my face, getting a phone call that someone has died, etc).

The only reason I mention this is that nicotine, like caffeine, is a stimulant. Too much nic may make your adrenal glands ache.

Thanks for the insight silkakc!

I haven't used PG in my own DIY since the last postings, so around 1 month now. Luckily the ache has now subsided completely!

I should mention i have since stopping using it in my own DIY tried some of my mates shop brought flavours (70/30) and within 30 minutes the feeling prior to the ache comes along!

In my personal case im quite sure its the PG! Weird.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
PG is a known humectant which means that it pulls moisture out of your body. It also breaks down into lactic acid making your muscles feel sore, similar to runner's cramps.

I am a high pg vaper. The only time my kidneys start hurting is when I've not been drinking enough water. Once I top up on the old H2O the ache is gone.

I would suggest you up your water intake and see if it helps.

I also wonder if you had these problems when you smoked as cigarettes are full of pg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread