Poll on vaping in the workplace

Vaping in the workplace - what are you allowed to do?

• I can vape at work. Any time, any place.

• I can only vape during breaks

• I'm not allowed to vape at work at all

• I'm self-employed, so I vape when I please

• I only vape at home

• Other, tell us below

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I can vape at my desk (in a non-public area) at San Diego State University. I've educated my coworkers about vaping and they are fine with it. Unfortunately, the entire California State University system has declared the updated non-smoking policy (effective January 1, 2014) will include a ban on electronic devices. The University of California campuses made the same call last year and the County of San Diego is considering a similar policy. I guess I can always stealth vaping eGos at work!

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
My employer does not currently have an official vaping policy. We have a manager that openly vapes in his office and our department VP is aware of it and has not opposed it. I stealth vape at my cubical, but those around me are aware of it and don't mind since I don't smell like the stinkies anymore. Basically it's a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, just keep your head down! :D

While I am no longer working as a temporary fill-in (consultant), I can report that I wouldn't be able to vape at my desk, but would have to join the smokers outside (and come in smelling like an ash try) while with this past organization.

If I were still self-employed, I wouldn't have an issue with staff vaping in their offices, but those dealing with the public would have to stealth, or wait for their breaks.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I'm a school teacher, so I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate to consume addictive substances at work. There are laws regarding tobacco produces on campus and even if e-cigs aren't tobacco I still wouldn't feel good about it. That being said I do hear stories of teachers stealth vaping in their classrooms during their prep hour, but not me.

I'm self employed, my shop is a shoe and leather repair shop with a retail store in front and the shop in back so I vape in the back, I wouldn't do it in front of any customers, I'm sure someone would complain and think it would make their items smell that's in for repair. I'd have no issues with employees doing it in the back as well, it would be better than them going outside and losing 10 minutes of work every hour or two. I've been happy with my added productivity now too that I don't have to go outside every hour or so.

ThisguyPa

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I am a machine tech at a large food plant, as for vaping anywhere in production areas its prohibited. But in my shop my boss is fine with vaping on our little bits of "down time". All upper management is happy for me not to b smoking anymore. There are two other vapers that are not in the shop, but iv invited them in for vape breaks. It has now become our vape lounge and we try to vape it out as much as possible. Lol. There is a very large air exchange system that clears the air at a flip of a switch. Plus my non smoking 62 y/o boss grabs it from me sometimes just to taste a new smell hes smelling. and try my builds. He thinks my gennies are so cool how they work. Sorry, that was way too long.

Macerate

Jul 1, 2013
Texas
I could vape inside when I first started at my job. Then one guy didn't like it and complained constantly that it messed up his allergies. So they made me get unflavored/unscented and he complained that still messed up his allergies. So then they told me to vape in my bosses office with the door shut. So he complained about that and how he could smell it and it messed with his allergies even though his desk was 40 ft away and the door was closed. So they made me go outside. And he complained about that because sometimes he has to walk outside and go through the door that I was vaping outside of. He'd also complain if i was using it while walking across the parking lot using it. Until I flipped the heck out and threatened to beat the everliving crap out of him and to mind his own business.

Now I vape outside the door and in the bathroom and he leaves me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread