ProTank II flooding since removing flavor wick

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by eFFeRR, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. eFFeRR

eFFeRR Senior Member ECF Veteran

Hey guys,

I removed the Flavor Wick today from my ProTank 2. This seems to have been a mistake on my part because ever since the e-liq I am using keeps flooding the tank. I know it's because of the wick since the second atomizer head that came with the ProTank works perfectly fine.

I only have 2 liquids at the moment. One definately looks "thicker" then the other but I have no idea what the PG/VG ratio is of them. The "thinner" liquid is what is flooding the tank. I will try the "thicker" liquid with the flavor wick removed to see if that helps.

Currently I am using the second base with the flavor wick in tact. I am looking to buy some Silica Wick to put in the first atomizer head I messed up. Which mm size should I get for the ProTank 2?

https://www.canvape.com/product-p/silica.htm

That's what I will be buying.

Thanks!

2. Blkwdw86

Blkwdw86 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Use cotton from a cotton ball. For thin juices, make the wick thicker (don't twist); for thick juices make it thinner.

3. SonHouse

SonHouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The stock flavor wicks are 2X1mm strands of silica wick. I personally have flooding issues using those so I replace them with 1X2mm wick.

4. Train2

Train2 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I usually, with a PTank1, remove HALF the flavor wick right away, and I'm happy with the performance.
    Haven't unwrapped my PTank2's yet - I have too many clearo's in rotation!
    Curiously, I find that removing wick is NOT necessary in a MINIProTank. Or an EVOD. Even using identical coils...

5. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Did you remove the entire wick? That's a bad thing.

If your eliquid is very thick, you may try to dilute it with a drop or two of distilled water (per ml) or some PG. Or you can gently remove one strand of the flavor wick.

Watch how Phil does it--at 25 min.

And yes, you can use cotton to replace your flavor wick for now.

BTW, I have never removed any wicks from my Kangers--I vape 70/30 PG/VG.

6. eFFeRR

So instead of buying wick I can use a piece of cotton ball? Does this give good results or should I just order some 2mm wick next time I place an order?

7. eFFeRR

I didnt touch the coiled wick.. only the wick that was on top of it. I removed and discarded unfortunately.

Second atomizer head is working great with that same "thinner" liquid. The thinner liq is giving me the problem.. not the thicker one.

8. badowden

badowden Full Member

Screwing Protank onto battery too tight will restrict airflow which will make you want to drag harder which will over saturate you wick with liquid. Excess liquid will either go up mouth-pipe into your mouth or down into your battery port. Try just tightening battery until its just snug and taking slow, steady and smooth drags. People come into my shop just about everyday, having leaking issues with evod/protanks

9. Katya

Supporting member
  10. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I used cotton ball twisted like the pic above to replace the flavor wicks in over 20 heads I dry burned last week...they all work fine :)

11. eFFeRR

Awesome I will try it..

Any recommendations on what PG/VG ratio I should be buying? Anything a little "less maintaince" then another?. Flavor is not a huge thing to me. I prefer e-liqs that are less "harsh". I have a 12mg nic one that I enjoy a lot more then my 18mg one.

12. KjAthena

I use 50/50 but the saying goes more PG more flavor and throat hit more VG more vapor...I have found personally I do NOT like high VG juices...something about the film they leave on my mouth...but higher PG juices do not bother me

13. eFFeRR

Just tried out the cotton swab idea.. although I didn't have any cotton swabs on hand so I tore apart the end of a qtip.

It no longer leaks.. which is great.. but now a foul smell is coming from the tank.. doesn't taste the same either..

14. KjAthena

dag nabit.....stop vaping on it take the cotton you just put on off and replace again with the rolled cotton...then re assemble and let tank sit for 10 minutes and only after that time do a few dry pulls without hitting fire button before you try it...forgot to warn you to let it saturate well before using sorry

15. eFFeRR

Oh crap..

Its okay to use the end of a qtip though right?.. I'll let it saturate my bad

16. Katya

Supporting member
    It's OK. It's the same cotton--just fluff it up a bit, don't twist too tightly and let it saturate fully.

17. KjAthena

yes I have used qtips cotton too...just let it sit for 10 mins after you replace that flavorwick again....it has to saturate that cotton well before you fire it :)

18. danca90

danca90 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Yep, don't remove flavor wicks until you are brave enough to start recoiling. Most of us have done it.

19. panfried

panfried Full Member

Just replaced the original wick with a piece of cotton from a Q-Tip.. 5 times better on protank II mini.

20. Sean Kurz

Sean Kurz Full Member

I purchased 28g kanthal from temco and organic cotton balls from whole foods, I do microcoils on all my protanks now. Riptrippers has some great tutorials on how to do this. Never going back to silica protank coils!!

: canvape, evod, protank
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.