Status
Not open for further replies.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Good point. I don't know if it is possible for the chip to figure out what size battery is being used. The only real difference is the mAh.
I suspect the answer is that it can't. I'm actually quite sure :) It cannot read the mAh capacity of the cell without a several hour full discharge-charge-cycle.

Reactions: ENAUD

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
I am not a programmer or an electrical engineer, but I would guess this would add a fairly dense level of complexity to the programming. Besides recognizing which battery is in the device, you also have a separate code for each battery. Not having a clue as to the deep tech stuff I would have no idea how easy or difficult this would be. A one battery size approach would certainly be a lot more straight forward.

But who knows, perhaps the minions ProVape have locked in the basement are working on it as we speak.

Would it be possible for the battery manufacturers to put an ID chip on the battery that mods could then read?

That might be useful going forward.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Would it be possible for the battery manufacturers to put an ID chip on the battery that mods could then read?

That might be useful going forward.
You need a 3rd electrical contact, and that turns the battery into something like a DSLR camera battery. It's not going to happen.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
when provari makes a box mod, what do you guys think it will look like? What features, etc?

Box mods like everything else in the vape world is a current fad....and with the fast pace that this tech is taking, I doubt very much Provari is going to be jumping on any bandwagons.

They have a product that is somewhat conservative, safe and dependable, that will serve a certain % of the vaping community, and I suspect they will stick to it.

they already haven't gotten into sub ohm and some of the other things going on, so I doubt they will change a whole lot

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Provape is a dinosaur. The way they've fallen behind is kinda sad for a company that was once a big name in vaping. If they want to stay relevant, they have to get with the game.

That kind of thinking is exactly what precipitated the sub prime mortgage and real estate/banking industry meltdowns. When people start to think there is no "ceiling" that is when things start to go downhill.

There are millions of people who are happily vaping away on a conservative, ultimately safe, and dependable product. Just like there are investors who still invest in the old, stuffy dependable kind of investments. The sky isn't the limit for some people....and that is a good thing IMHO.

I might be intereted in a tiny, fit in palm of hand solar powered electronic device made in Japan or something. Fit on a keychain and a delivery device built in.

Some of you don't seem to understand business models. Provari fills a niche in the market. And does it better than anyone else. Just like REO does with mechanicals. There is no need for them to "be like the other guys".

Let the other guys do their thing, and let provari and reo do theirs...and that way, there will be something for everybody!

Oh, and keep the ego type EVOD, Twist, etc. batts and single coil newbie stuff.......they are the bread and butter of the industry, even though YOU don't vape on them.....

Last edited:

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
You need a 3rd electrical contact, and that turns the battery into something like a DSLR camera battery. It's not going to happen.

But would you?

The chip would only be an ID chip, more like a bar code that the mod would scan.

Taking it a bit further, how about a bar code that could be affixed by, say, a company like AW, after testing, that would have the actual specs of that particular battery, that would then be read by the device?

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Box mods like everything else in the vape world is a current fad....and with the fast pace that this tech is taking, I doubt very much Provari is going to be jumping on any bandwagons.

They have a product that is somewhat conservative, safe and dependable, that will serve a certain % of the vaping community, and I suspect they will stick to it.

they already haven't gotten into sub ohm and some of the other things going on, so I doubt they will change a whole lot

Box modes have gone well beyond the fad phase. There are very good reasons for putting the chips on the side, with the big one being ergonomics. Making a tube that fits a 18650 with the electronics on top as ProVape does creates a very long device that isn't at all comfortable to use or carry around, besides looking rather silly.

I have real doubts as to whether it is being conservative or safe that has limited that P3 to what it is. It is far more likely the current design, with the ability to use 3 different types of batteries in one device that makes it what it is. The device has to be limited to what the 18350 can do.

I'm a P3 user, and it is all I use as I have no need for higher watts. But I would much rather use an 18650 battery. At the moment I use mostly 18350, not because I like it, but because it is the most comfortable to use and carry around with the P3.

The current limits on the P3 are not because of safety issues, or business model, or some ideological mumbo jumbo. The limits are built into the variable battery size design.

Last edited:

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Box modes have gone well beyond the fad phase. There are very good reasons for putting the chips on the side, with the big one being ergonomics. Making a tube that fits a 18650 with the electronics on top as ProVape does creates a very long device that isn't at all comfortable to use or carry around, besides looking rather silly.

I have real doubts as to whether it is being conservative and safe that has limited that P3 to what it is. It is far more likely the current design, with the ability to use 3 different types of batteries in one device that makes it what it is. The device has to be limited to what the 18350 can do.

I'm a P3 user, and it is all I use as I have no need for higher watts. But I would much rather use an 18650 battery. At the moment I use mostly 18350, not because I like it, but because it is the most comfortable to use and carry around with the P3.

The current limits on the P3 are not because of safety issues, or some ideological mumbo jumbo. The limits are built into the variable battery size design.
First off comfort is relative. I have tried many box mods and so far only two have been comfortable to hold for me. The dovpo emech and the sx. The sub box looks good but I haven't held one yet. The ZNA is good but I don't consider that a box mod. Tube mods have a natural ergonomic feel without having to do a lot of design work.

Now there is a way to make a more compact design by pancaking the electronics into a couple of 20mm round wafers stacked if need be but how that affects the efficiency and design cost comes into play. I can see at least 7/16-1/2" that can be removed from the tube length if it was done this way and that would be a huge difference for a lot of people. 18490 mode would be the size of the mini and 18650 would be slightly longer than 18490 mode

You are right though in that the limits are set because of the 18350 batt capabilities.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
But would you?

The chip would only be an ID chip, more like a bar code that the mod would scan.

Taking it a bit further, how about a bar code that could be affixed by, say, a company like AW, after testing, that would have the actual specs of that particular battery, that would then be read by the device?
And... you are going to have a company like AW develop this special (proprietary) flavor of battery with a chip or bar code, just so Provari can use it. No other battery user would very likely have this need. And then Provari has to add a laser reader into the tube, adding cost, complexity, and another point of failure. And you are talking about a company that believes the 3 buttons every other regulated mod on the market uses has too many points of failure. That is why Provari only has one button and you have to do so much button pushing (on the older interface). For the ultimate in reliability and KISS. They aren't adding a laser reader :)
A year ago, Provari virtually required a proprietary battery because there were so many cautions and warnings about using anything other than AW. And absolutely no flat tops. I only use AW myself on my P2.5s but I don't like it because I'm paying $13 for basically a $5 (Samsung 25R) battery. And I just spent $75 or so on a second round of batteries so this is all fresh in my mind :(

The newer Provari use flat top batteries and if I had one I could use the same $5 Samsung batteries I use on my Subox. I don't think the user base would want to go backwards there, and then a good jump again to a fully proprietary battery that surely would cost even more considering the low volumes (the only likely use being a Provari).

Just some reasons why it is very doubtful this would ever fly. Neat idea but not very practical. And remember, one of the big selling points of a box mod style is that an 18650 (and only an 18650) can be used, while maintaining a height less than the Provari Mini and P3. If Provari really wanted to take advantage of the 18650's 20A CDR the best solution would be a box mod, not another tube with a laser reader that uses a proprietary new battery design and would never reach the economies of scale that the battery industry probably needs to make it cost effective. I could be wrong though :)

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
And... you are going to have a company like AW develop this special (proprietary) flavor of battery with a chip or bar code, just so Provari can use it. No other battery user would very likely have this need. And then Provari has to add a laser reader into the tube, adding cost, complexity, and another point of failure. And you are talking about a company that believes the 3 buttons every other regulated mod on the market uses has too many points of failure. That is why Provari only has one button and you have to do so much button pushing (on the older interface). For the ultimate in reliability and KISS. They aren't adding a laser reader :)
A year ago, Provari virtually required a proprietary battery because there were so many cautions and warnings about using anything other than AW. And absolutely no flat tops. I only use AW myself on my P2.5s but I don't like it because I'm paying $13 for basically a $5 (Samsung 25R) battery. And I just spent $75 or so on a second round of batteries so this is all fresh in my mind :(

The newer Provari use flat top batteries and if I had one I could use the same $5 Samsung batteries I use on my Subox. I don't think the user base would want to go backwards there, and then a good jump again to a fully proprietary battery that surely would cost even more considering the low volumes (the only likely use being a Provari).

Just some reasons why it is very doubtful this would ever fly. Neat idea but not very practical. And remember, one of the big selling points of a box mod style is that an 18650 (and only an 18650) can be used, while maintaining a height less than the Provari Mini and P3. If Provari really wanted to take advantage of the 18650's 20A CDR the best solution would be a box mod, not another tube with a laser reader that uses a proprietary new battery design and would never reach the economies of scale that the battery industry probably needs to make it cost effective. I could be wrong though :)
I like the one button design of the P3 and would have no issues with a one button box mode. Enough said about that.

As a side not, one of the issues that has come up with the P3 using 18350 batteries is that it is not easy to screw the cap back on. It is a bit of a struggle every time, but it is only an issues with the 18350. Larger batteries don't have this issue. I am guessing the problem is that the spacing is slightly different because it can now use flat tops. The different spacing likely becomes exaggerated when using the smallest battery.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I like the one button design of the P3 and would have no issues with a one button box mode. Enough said about that.

One of the issues that has come up with the P3 using 18350 batteries is that it is not easy to screw the cap back on. It is a bit of a struggle every time, but it is only an issues with the 18350. Larger batteries don't have this issue. I am guessing the problem is that the spacing is slightly different because it can now use flat tops. The different spacing likely becomes exaggerated when using the smallest batteries.
I was not dissing the one button design. It is a trade-off between efficiency and reliability. I was just pointing out that Provari puts reliability at the top of the pile, which is just one major reason why I don't think they would add something like a bar code reader inside the tube. An unnecessary point of failure.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

As a side not, one of the issues that has come up with the P3 using 18350 batteries is that it is not easy to screw the cap back on. It is a bit of a struggle every time, but it is only an issues with the 18350. Larger batteries don't have this issue. I am guessing the problem is that the spacing is slightly different because it can now use flat tops. The different spacing likely becomes exaggerated when using the smallest battery.
I've read about the P3/18350 battery issue. Seems odd that they got that "wrong". I understand some people use the older end cap for the 350 cells and it works as well as the older models.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The old cap reads a bit lower in IQ but not much.
I am going to have to try that.

I've read about the P3/18350 battery issue. Seems odd that they got that "wrong". I understand some people use the older end cap for the 350 cells and it works as well as the older models.

I highly doubt they got it wrong. More likely they had to have a compromise someplace for the flat tops to work. The 18350's got the short end of it.

Reactions: jwbnyc

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
First off comfort is relative. I have tried many box mods and so far only two have been comfortable to hold for me. The dovpo emech and the sx. The sub box looks good but I haven't held one yet. The ZNA is good but I don't consider that a box mod. Tube mods have a natural ergonomic feel without having to do a lot of design work.

Now there is a way to make a more compact design by pancaking the electronics into a couple of 20mm round wafers stacked if need be but how that affects the efficiency and design cost comes into play. I can see at least 7/16-1/2" that can be removed from the tube length if it was done this way and that would be a huge difference for a lot of people. 18490 mode would be the size of the mini and 18650 would be slightly longer than 18490 mode

You are right though in that the limits are set because of the 18350 batt capabilities.
I measured the extension on the P3 and it is 5/8", sooo, if ProVape could take 1/2" off the top the 18490 mod would be 1/8" longer then the current 18350. Yes, a big improvement, but of course it is highly unlikely it is going to happen.

I certainly would not be happy with a shoe box type design, though I have to say the dovpo emech is pretty hideous looking, and takes two 18650's which makes huge. I had never actually heard of it before you mentioned it.

The newer designs as in the SX and Subox have taken it to a new level. If ProVape did do a box I would hope they would bring in someone up on ergonomic design. A lot could be done to make it a good deal more comfortable then holding a miniature shoe box.

There is really no reason to have any squared off sides to it. If you look at the Subox mini, except for the top and bottom, the sides are all completely rounded off. I haven't tried it, but it has to be pretty comfortable to use. It certainly is popular, and I would guess the design has a lot to do with it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Why would ProVape make a far better and more expensive version of what the Chinese are selling for less than the price of a ProVape board and chip? There's nothing special or ergonomic about a box mod; they are just cheap and easy to make. ProVape does need to go smaller and bring back the PV-1 and develop tiny cigalikes , tanks and PCC. The box market is saturated and cloud chasers seem to want to do it on the cheap...

Reactions: MsLoud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread