IMG_0201.jpg
Thank you Provape for my new baby!

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
No Deli - I had asked if my 18650 extension for my standard Provari would work on the Mini. That would allow me to use 18490's in it. So your extension is the same as mine.
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but there is no extension for the Mini that would allow you to use 18650's. At least not offered by Provape.

Besides, if you wanted something that big you could just cut to the chase and buy the full sized Provari. ;)

Hope that cleared it up for ya.

Delilah718

Vape Enthusiast
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2011
In the clouds
No Deli - I had asked if my 18650 extension for my standard Provari would work on the Mini. That would allow me to use 18490's in it. So your extension is the same as mine.
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but there is no extension for the Mini that would allow you to use 18650's. At least not offered by Provape.

Besides, if you wanted something that big you could just cut to the chase and buy the full sized Provari. ;)

Hope that cleared it up for ya.

Oh! Heeeheeeee :facepalm: Here I thought I had another option! :laugh: Thanks vaps! :D

Delilah718

Vape Enthusiast
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2011
In the clouds
I kind of regret not getting the mini for the 350 mode.

Guess I'll have to get another :p

Faxed in on the Mojo Wire

Ya, now that I have a mini I realize what I was missing with a standard Provari! I love the mini -- the 18350 battery lasts me nearly all day - I'm talking 10 to 12 hours! Here I thought it would only provide about 4 to 5 hours of battery life, which was okay with me - so to have them last so much longer was a great surprise to me :) :thumbs:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Damn! I must vape too much. I'm using new Panasonic's 18650's in my standard vari pushing 8 watts and I'm only getting 5-6 hours. :confused:

What atom resistance are you using?

I used to get shortish battery duration when using low resistance atoms (<2 ohm), since I've switched to making my resistances >= 3ohm batteries last definitely longer.

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
What atom resistance are you using?

I used to get shortish battery duration when using low resistance atoms (<2 ohm), since I've switched to making my resistances >= 3ohm batteries last definitely longer.

The question is, at what voltage are you pushing the 3 ohms. I like a nice warm vape so that's why I said I keep it at about 8 watts. My juice's sweet spot is right around that range. Any hotter and it burns and any cooler I don't get the warmth I like. I use a DiD (D20) with a 2ohm coil set-up and run it a about 4 volts.
Yes, you can get the same warm vape out of a 3ohm coil but you have to crank up your volts to about 5 volts which is still going to drain your bats at the same rate. Kinda like 6 of one vs. half a dozen of the other.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
The question is, at what voltage are you pushing the 3 ohms. I like a nice warm vape so that's why I said I keep it at about 8 watts. My juice's sweet spot is right around that range. Any hotter and it burns and any cooler I don't get the warmth I like. I use a DiD (D20) with a 2ohm coil set-up and run it a about 4 volts.
Yes, you can get the same warm vape out of a 3ohm coil but you have to crank up your volts to about 5 volts which is still going to drain your bats at the same rate. Kinda like 6 of one vs. half a dozen of the other.
Nope, definitely not draining at the same rate... It took me a while to understand why, as my thinking was the same as yours: "hell, 7W are 7W anyway"... Guess what, I was wrong.

Let's take your example, 8W; you can achieve 8W for instance by either using (just to take two extremes):

1.5ohm at almost 3.5V, drawing 2.3A in the process, or 3ohm at 4.9V, drawing 1.6A.

if we suppose the battery capacity to be 2000 mAh, the above A rates would deplete it in 2000/2300=0.87h (52m) with 1.5ohm resistance, but in 1600/2000=1.25h (1h15m) @3ohm. That means you get 30% more vape time!

Of course that's theoretical, in reality the PWM (step-up) circuit will suck some more battery on its own at 4.9V than at 3.5V, but you get the idea... My observation is that now my batteries last 20-25% longer than before, perhaps even more, and I've only changed the atom resistance.

Give it a try (and buy me a virtual beer if it works for you as well). Heck, what have you got to lose? ;)

PS: still empirical, based on my testing, but I suspect the PWM of the provari to become more power hungry beyond 5V, give or take.

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Ok.... That made my head hurt a little but I'll buy you that beer now. LOL

That makes sense and I think I already knew that somehow in the past but blocked it out of my mind. :D
You are correct about the amp draw difference. I think I'll shoot for 2.5 on my next coil and see how it works.
:laugh: :toast:
Moving from 2 to 2.5 ohm will only make a theoretical 10% difference in A draw, barely noticeable in practice... I'd rather shoot directly for 3 ohm, some 20% diff should be much more evident ;)

For the record I needed to switch from .20mm wire to .15mm (dunno what's in AWG units) in the process, or else my 3ohm coils ended up way too long.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Damn! I must vape too much. I'm using new Panasonic's 18650's in my standard vari pushing 8 watts and I'm only getting 5-6 hours. :confused:

I vape alot using HH 3.0 ohm attys @ 5.5 volts=10.08 watts.. with an AW 2000 mah 18650, Ive never Killed a battery in a day.... even ones that are 6 months old.. I use use a Pila charger.....

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I vape alot using HH 3.0 ohm attys @ 5.5 volts=10.08 watts.. with an AW 2000 mah 18650, Ive never Killed a battery in a day.... even ones that are 6 months old.. I use use a Pila charger.....

It mainly depends on one's vaping pattern...

For instance I take long pulls, very often bordering on 10 secs each, every 30/40 secs; that makes an average of maybe 15 seconds of continuous vaping per minute.

I use an AW IMR 2000 mAh as well, which at my usual 7W on 3ohm would last for about 1h20m of continuous vaping, or close to 500 (of my) puffs. Multiply that time by 4, add some breaks here and there, and it makes for some 7+ hours of actual vaping.

But I'm a chain vaper :)... If you consider more 'normal' (?) vaping patterns, you can easily double that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread