Really want to vape but losing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekeyisme

Dec 22, 2012
Denver
I've come for help. I have recently started vaping in order to quit smoking (1pad for 15+ years). Started by doing some research as to what a good starter kit was. While I completed my research, got some Blu disposables, regular at first. Liked the amount of vape but the taste put me off, so I moved to the menthol (even though I never smoked menthol analogs). Those were a little better. I didn't go "vape-crazy" as some have mentioned nubes tend to do. I wanted to quit, so it was just to take the edge off. It was working, got down to 6 or 7 stinkies in a day.

Finally placed an order with GS and got them pretty quick. I ordered ever flavor they had, all in the 'light' nicotine, except for the vanilla which I got in zero nic just to see how that would go.

Excitedly, I ripped into all the flavors, taking a handful of hits off each to see what they tasted like. Most of them tasted like nothing. Well, maybe they tasted a little, but really, nothing to write home about. I thought this was odd. Even accounting for faked out testimonials, I couldn't image that all of them tasted like nothing and people continued to give them praise. Maybe I was expecting too much (like OMG! This chocolate cart tastes so much like chocolate, I am having a hard time not just stuffing it into my mouth and eating it). So I dutifully kept vaping when I had a nic fit even though vaping was far less satisfying than the real thing.

But then I started to notice that I really couldn't even taste analogs either. And my throat was so dry. Not just my throat, my mouth, my tongue. Hearing that vaping can dehydrate you, I drank a bunch more water than usual. This seemed to only help wet my mouth for a few seconds and then right back to absolutely parched.
Re
Did a little test with salt and sugar on the tongue to see if I can taste anything, and really, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Am I loosing my mind? Have I been this taste blind for so long I didn't notice until I cut back? Am I allergic to something in the juice (PG or VG) that has had a negative effect on me?

I really want to quit smoking, happy with my progress so far but not sure if i should continue. Thoughts?

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hiya - sounds to me like you have the classic taste buds issue that happens when quitting cigarettes. Things can start tasting all the same, or its difficult to taste a flavor.
This does get better. Your taste buds will be re-adjusting.
You will need to continue drinking more water or fluids.
You haven't said what the PG/VG ratio is.
I'd say its partly taste buds going through some recovery. But knowing more info would help us to maybe pinpoint some things.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Welcome to ECF and no your not losing your mind. Your perfectly normal IMHO. The years of smoking have distroyed your taste buds for a while. Never fear it will get better. Sometimes when I get to the point of not being able to tell the difference in flavor I'll give my taste buds a "jump start" with some lime juice. Rinse it out and then try again. As for the water and parched mouth. DRINK WATER!!!!!!!! If you go to the bathroom more often it's ok. Water won't kill you, but for a fact it can flush all the sodium from your system.(I know cause I had to go to the doctor and the blood test proved it). Listen to what your body is telling you. If it doesn't feel right then change things till it does. Your gonna be fine. You have the best support, information, and help group in the entire world. Good luck and happy trails my friend.

thekeyisme

Dec 22, 2012
Denver
Thanks Kiwi - not sure what the PG/VG of a Blu disposable and a GS cart is. I have placed an order at HHV in varying ratios (including 100% VG) to see if that helps. At this rate, I will be totally nic free and taste bud? free by the time it gets here. :unsure:

So this is normal? Was I really tasting nothing for the last 15+ years and didn't notice it (or thought it was normal)?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
mine went from tasting the juice but food was ok for a day or two to totally dead for a week then everything tasted different for like two more, then everything tasted awesome. juice i thought sucked in the beginning was like wow all of a sudden and the same for juice i liked it was suddenly ewwwww. you could also be getting a small amount of the juice in your mouth which will cause everything to dehydrate even more. try some sour candy or gatorade as well as water.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks Kiwi - not sure what the PG/VG of a Blu disposable and a GS cart is. I have placed an order at HHV in varying ratios (including 100% VG) to see if that helps. At this rate, I will be totally nic free and taste bud? free by the time it gets here. :unsure:

So this is normal? Was I really tasting nothing for the last 15+ years and didn't notice it (or thought it was normal)?

Lots of people experience this after quitting the smokes. I've had some no taste days myself. It's like the taste buds are re-adjusting or something.
You will have had some taste for the last 15 years, but cigarettes really mute the taste. When your taste buds revive, now that you've cut right on down smoking and are quitting - you will really notice the difference. So hang in there - it will pass and get better. You may find some days where it happens again, but you should get many more days where your taste has greatly improved. When you aren't smoking at all they come alive after a while. Took a few weeks for mine to really wake up. I had smoked 4-50 a day for a long time.
Getting some new flavors will be fun too.

reldra

Oct 2, 2012
Buffalo NY
I started with Blu...many of us have made that mistake. I now have my Tornado-T and order extra batteries, juice and empty cartos from totallywicked-eliquid.com Got another atomizer today and more vanilla juice in 18 mg vanilla. They have some great discounts happening now and 20% off everything in January using code NY2013. You can order from wherever you want, but I am happy this way. I have 2 8 hr batteries and one 20 hr battery. I make sure I order ejuice in a timely manner and empty carts/caps. I did pay for expedited shipping once, was worth the $9 compounded with the 'YoYo christmas discounts' as I would have run out of e liquid and possibly bought a real cig......perish the thought. Actually, doing some organizing the other day, I found a pack of cigarettes with 5 in it. I had had a VERY stressful, day and thought ...just one...I was alone, but still found the need to act secretive... I found a lighter and lit it and inhaled and nearly vomited. It was the worst awful thing I had ever tasted in my life LOL. That will teach me. That lot went to the outside garbage. My sig should show how long it's been, it has been several months.. October 23rd was my first web order from TotallyWicked. But I had been messing about with Blu and store brands and a local 'vapor lounge' with jacked up pricing.. for about a month prior with no real smoking. So I am thinking the beginning of October at least. It was a journey... And true, food for the first few days tasted great. Then there was a lull of missing flavors. Now, I am overwhelmed by all the flavors and spices and bought a new cookbook. I can even taste the beer I drink better...so am buying more expensive brands. ;) I want to try new flavors. I wasn't impressed with cola flavor from Totally Wicked, tasted like light tobacco...odd. I really like the vanilla. Maybe apple next time?

Last edited:

DrApex

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Raleigh NC
I know exactly what you mean. When I first started vaping, I was so excited to see all these interesting flavors. I went to a local BM store and literally vaped myself dizzy. All of the flavors tasted flat and Crappy.

After a few weeks though, I can taste more and more more satisfied with different flavors. I have a mango from Mt Baker that's pretty good... And 3 weeks before I tried 3 different mangos and couldn't taste much mango at all.

There's a phenomenon called vapers tongue that may be interesting to read: http://www.ecblendflavors.com/taste-buds-and-vapers-tongue/

So it's not a conspiracy. After all, if it's on the Internet, it MUST be true ;)

Typed on my mobile. Please excuse typos.

OBE1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2012
Marengo, Ohio
I had the dreaded taste bud issue as well. I have been vaping for about a month now and I am just now started tasting my juices again. I couldbtaste them just fine the first 2 weeks but I couldnt taste anything for about a week and a half. Trust me it gets better just hang in there. I also have been told that quitting analogs all together will help you get over this better. Kind of let your body adjust to your new lifestyle. Good luck and keep vaping!

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I've been through that too. Everything tasted bland. The good news is that it seems to clear up after awhile. One of the guys at my vape shop switches to a straight tobacco flavor for a few days (nothing fancy, nothing sweet, just a plain tobacco). He does this because for him it "cleanses the palatte". Then he starts a new rotation of flavors.

My husband adds menthol to every flavor, even though he wasn't a menthol smoker. He says it brings out the flavor of the juices.

Remember when we smoked? It was the same flavor day in and day out. Everything tasted like a Marlboro to me... This is better. Hang in there. You're still getting your nicotine and getting away from cigarettes and combustion. Your taste buds and your sense of smell will go haywire. I can now smell a smoker clear across a parking lot. I also can't stand being in long lines (lots of overly aromotic folk out there... not all good.)

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
I had issues but slightly different. I was hell-bent on not ever smokiing again, so I shifted my addiction to nicorette. That lasted two years. I constantly wanted an analog. My parents started vaping over 2 years ago, and when I read about e-cigs online is was all about how "dangerous and unhealthy" they were.
I finally caved since the nicorette was way too expensive for me. I asked my parents and they recommended the eGO 900 mah passthrough(you can vape while it charges on a usb), and the Vision Vivi Nova mini as a starter kit. I bought two of each. My cravings for cigarettes stopped the day I got them. My tastebuds did have that odd "no taste,bad taste problem", but I didn't start vaping for the enjoyment. Now I do! :)

Now I can sit in a room full of "Analogers" with no issues other than stinking like smoke afterwards. Hang in there! It's worth it!

Last edited:

nobutts1

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2012
swampscott ma
Hiya, well I am now 4 months of vaping and I go through the "I can't taste anything, so aggravating , " and then all of a sudden, I love my vape!!! say what! what the heck just happened , all day long , no taste, just so annoying! I say it's the filter needing change, or the battery going down, or way over vaping.. trial and error my friend.. Keep on vaping, we will all work it out together! Happy Vaping and welcome to the best site ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread