Status
Not open for further replies.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I haven't used cotton other than the Japanese stuff, so I'm no expert, but if all i had was regular cotton, I'd probably boil it to get any chemicals and/or impurities out of it, both for safety and flavor. You can find some vids on youtube. Then again, a cotton wicking expert may come along and tell you that I'm wrong.:facepalm: I think I'd still boil it though.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Yes, it's perfectly fine to use. If you have any real concern over it, you can always boil it first, let it dry, then use it for wicks. I used sterile cotton balls from CVS with no further treatment and had no issues (aside from the fact that I was using cotton). I've since moved from cotton to rayon and am much happier... it's just a superior wick all the way around, but it takes a bit getting used to. Look into it if you're interested.

You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply (online or B&M)
Graham Cellucotton Box Numbers:
Box #s: 44060 (500 ft), 44043 (3 lbs = 900 ft), 44040 (1200 ft), 44130 (40 ft).
Trust me... it is SOOOOOo worth giving it a shot!! And check out the Rayon thread for all the tips and tricks on how to use it... it is not like cotton (you need more of it.. tighter inside the coil)
Rayon Wick: Better Flow, Flavor, Saturation and Nic Hit

Reactions: Cirkulis

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I use regular "organic" cotton balls. Like Ocelot, I prefer Rayon (cellucotton), but it can only be purchased in bulk in quantities which I don't have a need for. Since I ran out of Rayon, I've been using the organic cotton again.

I think Rayon holds up a little longer, and doesn't get charred by the heat of the coil, like cotton can. Maybe a little better in flavor, too.

General tip on wicking: LESS IS MORE better than too much.

Ecigproblem

Sep 27, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Duplicate post from another thread.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I use Walmart cotton balls. Not for any other reason than, that is the store at which they were purchased. Once boiled, all cotton is the same to me. I boil and sun dry all my cotton, seem to make it work better. Pads might be a bit easier to use, but not 10X or more better.
Is cotton the best? NO, Maybe, Yes. I prefer stainless or silica for flavor. I prefer to BUILD with cotton, and maintain attys wicked with either SS or silica. No Rewicking required with SS or silica, you can clean in place.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I use the Sally Salon coil Cotton rope. 45 ft for a bit over $3. Fibers aligned is a Scottish roll wick with just a bit of rolling in the fingers. No need to pull the pads apart for a Scottish roll wick. No problem with crossed fibers like a cotton ball. Same as the sally rayon but cotton.
I just realized last week that I had been doing Scottish roll wicks for months.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a box of Sally's cotton rope and it's fine. They are usually out of the small boxes of Cellucotton because the guys from the local college come in and buy them out frequently. I like Kho Gen Do Japanese cotton best, but I recently ordered half a dozen packs of Egyptian cotton from a vendor recently. It's OK, but not as good as KGD.

In a pinch, there's nothing wrong with cotton balls. I vape it straight out of the bag, but it's probably a good idea to wash and dry before using. I look for organic cotton on the label and buy that if I can find it. Organic is supposed to be chemical free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread