FDA regulating e liquid as if it is tobacco product...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off with saying I have no issues with anyone having to be 18 or older to purchase any e-cig products. However if you begin to regulate this product you will be killing millions of us that this product has worked for and more in the future that will not have had this option to turn to. The patch, gum and other products never worked for me. My doctor will not prescribe Chantix due to the complications that are associated with it. The e-vaporizor is the only option that has worked for me and many others that I have turned onto this product. I have not smoked a cigarette since October of 2013. During the twenty years I smoked I quit many times. This is the longest time ever and I have no desire to go back to cigarettes again unless you take this option away from me. I have taken one drag off a cigarette and it tastes like total crap to me now. I prefer to stay with the flavor options that are available with the e-cig. I have stayed away from the tobacco flavors and I choose the desert flavors. My tastes have changed, the taste of an analog cigarette tastes like it did when I first started. It tastes nasty and it just re-enforces the fact that I would rather vape then smoke. I have also taken my NIC% down from a starting level of 1 pack a day smoker which is 1.8% down to 0.6% NIC level which is under a half a pack day smoker.

If you let the FDA begin to regulate this and tax it like cigarettes you will stunt growth in the industry and new technology will not come forward due to the strict regulations they are attempting to impose. Also this is NOT a tobacco based product. If you open this door to regulation under the guidelines of a tobacco based product think about the standard it will baseline for other regulations in other categories. This country needs better government not more government.

The argument of the flavors is ridiculous propaganda of the diehard anti-smokers that have been trained to not budge an inch when it comes to their cause. Adults like flavors too and this is what keeps me vaping and not smoking analog cigarettes. That is why there are so many flavors when it comes to alcohol choices. Adults like flavor choices. Do not take our flavors away. How many DUI's have come from someone vaping an e-cig and killing someone? The answer to that is zero. Is the FDA trying to say that vaping flavors is more dangerous than drinking flavors?

We all know that analog cigarettes have thousands of bad chemicals in each cigarette we smoke. The liquid we use to vape with have four to six chemicals in them. None of which are harmful to a person vaping. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a thick, sweet liquid. VG produces luscious clouds of vapor. VG also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid. Propylene Glycol (PG) is a much thinner tasteless liquid. PG produces more of a “throat hit” than VG does, which simulates the feel of smoking better. Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and it shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic. Nicotine is ingested naturally in some of our foods. If nicotine is ingested without the associated toxicants as in analog cigarettes the health effects are similar to drinking coffee. They have also proven that nicotine does not promote cancer. Nicotine is not always present in some e-liquids as you can get your e-liquid with 0% NIC. This is always the base % for any e-liquid. Flavoring is used in all our foods and the flavoring used in E-Cigs is the same food grade as we consume in our foods. Additional ingredients may be flavor enhancers and or distilled water.
Tests that have been performed in the UK at Queen Mary University in London by Professor Peter Hayak have proven that after vaping an e-cig there are no discernible toxins or carbon monoxide released by the individual that vaped. However after an analog cigarette these toxins where released.

In closing, do not classify our vaporizors as cigarettes or tobacco products. They are very different. If personal safety is the concern of the Congress and the House of Representatives and not tax dollars as they have stated, then allowing the FDA to classify or regulate this product as a cigarette would be a crime against humanity. This product works for many of us and then the only choice we have would be stripped from us and companies like GlaxoSmithKilne win with products that do not work for me and many others I know. Regulating e-liquid as a tobacco product makes no sense. It would be like attempting to regulate ice cream which comes in many flavors as if it was the same as a steak where each cut of beef has a different flavor. Or requiring someone to be 18 or older to purchase eggplant since it is the second highest in nicotine next in line from tobacco.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Let me start off with saying I have no issues with anyone having to be 18 or older to purchase any e-cig products. However if you begin to regulate this product you will be killing millions of us that this product has worked for and more in the future that will not have had this option to turn to. The patch, gum and other products never worked for me. My doctor will not prescribe Chantix due to the complications that are associated with it. The e-vaporizor is the only option that has worked for me and many others that I have turned onto this product. I have not smoked a cigarette since October of 2013. During the twenty years I smoked I quit many times. This is the longest time ever and I have no desire to go back to cigarettes again unless you take this option away from me. I have taken one drag off a cigarette and it tastes like total crap to me now. I prefer to stay with the flavor options that are available with the e-cig. I have stayed away from the tobacco flavors and I choose the desert flavors. My tastes have changed, the taste of an analog cigarette tastes like it did when I first started. It tastes nasty and it just re-enforces the fact that I would rather vape then smoke. I have also taken my NIC% down from a starting level of 1 pack a day smoker which is 1.8% down to 0.6% NIC level which is under a half a pack day smoker.

If you let the FDA begin to regulate this and tax it like cigarettes you will stunt growth in the industry and new technology will not come forward due to the strict regulations they are attempting to impose. Also this is NOT a tobacco based product. If you open this door to regulation under the guidelines of a tobacco based product think about the standard it will baseline for other regulations in other categories. This country needs better government not more government.

The argument of the flavors is ridiculous propaganda of the diehard anti-smokers that have been trained to not budge an inch when it comes to their cause. Adults like flavors too and this is what keeps me vaping and not smoking analog cigarettes. That is why there are so many flavors when it comes to alcohol choices. Adults like flavor choices. Do not take our flavors away. How many DUI's have come from someone vaping an e-cig and killing someone? The answer to that is zero. Is the FDA trying to say that vaping flavors is more dangerous than drinking flavors?

We all know that analog cigarettes have thousands of bad chemicals in each cigarette we smoke. The liquid we use to vape with have four to six chemicals in them. None of which are harmful to a person vaping. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a thick, sweet liquid. VG produces luscious clouds of vapor. VG also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid. Propylene Glycol (PG) is a much thinner tasteless liquid. PG produces more of a “throat hit” than VG does, which simulates the feel of smoking better. Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and it shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic. Nicotine is ingested naturally in some of our foods. If nicotine is ingested without the associated toxicants as in analog cigarettes the health effects are similar to drinking coffee. They have also proven that nicotine does not promote cancer. Nicotine is not always present in some e-liquids as you can get your e-liquid with 0% NIC. This is always the base % for any e-liquid. Flavoring is used in all our foods and the flavoring used in E-Cigs is the same food grade as we consume in our foods. Additional ingredients may be flavor enhancers and or distilled water.
Tests that have been performed in the UK at Queen Mary University in London by Professor Peter Hayak have proven that after vaping an e-cig there are no discernible toxins or carbon monoxide released by the individual that vaped. However after an analog cigarette these toxins where released.

In closing, do not classify our vaporizors as cigarettes or tobacco products. They are very different. If personal safety is the concern of the Congress and the House of Representatives and not tax dollars as they have stated, then allowing the FDA to classify or regulate this product as a cigarette would be a crime against humanity. This product works for many of us and then the only choice we have would be stripped from us and companies like GlaxoSmithKilne win with products that do not work for me and many others I know. Regulating e-liquid as a tobacco product makes no sense. It would be like attempting to regulate ice cream which comes in many flavors as if it was the same as a steak where each cut of beef has a different flavor. Or requiring someone to be 18 or older to purchase eggplant since it is the second highest in nicotine next in line from tobacco.

You should put most of this in a comment to the FDA.

Regulations.gov

J.R.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
I had someone come up to me and start a conversation after seeing me vape about vaping. He said "I think those should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes since they mimic them". I then asked him if he thinks cap guns should require a waiting period and be 21 or older to purchase,he no that's silly. I said but it mimics the shooting of a real gun and can be hazerdoes to your health since noone would know it was a toy gun. Then I told him water should require being 21 or older since it does mimic Vodka, he didn't have anything to say after that.

Vegetables and such have Nicotine in them,the amount is moot,I guess we need to regulate them also and you will have to be 18 or older to consume.

Kids: DO NOT eat you veggies...! There's this poisonous nicotine in them...! :lol:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Kids: DO NOT eat you veggies...! There's this poisonous nicotine in them...! :lol:

Thank you! Finally, someone on this site is thinking about the children. I just wish these veggies had childproof caps on them, and didn't come in so many yucky wonderful flavors. And thanks to all the vendors for not marketing these to kids.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thank you! Finally, someone on this site is thinking about the children. I just wish these veggies had childproof caps on them, and didn't come in so many yucky wonderful flavors. And thanks to all the vendors for not marketing these to kids.

We should set up a new standard for naming flavors:

Onion = Vanilla
Cucumber = Lime
Squash = Lemon
Tomato = Cherry
Carrots = Orange
Broccoli = Menthol
Beets = Strawberry
Corn = Peaches
Radishes = Apple
Red Peppers = Watermelon
Cauliflower = Cotton Candy
Eggplant = Plums
Asparagus = Green Apple
Peas = Grape
Baked Potatoes = Chocolate

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We should set up a new standard for naming flavors:

Onion = Vanilla
Cucumber = Lime
Squash = Lemon
Tomato = Cherry
Carrots = Orange
Broccoli = Menthol
Beets = Strawberry
Corn = Peaches
Radishes = Apple
Red Peppers = Watermelon
Cauliflower = Cotton Candy
Eggplant = Plums
Asparagus = Green Apple
Peas = Grape
Baked Potatoes = Chocolate

"That thing your mother made you eat when you were 5 years old and you swore you would never eat it again!" = Raspberry :)

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yeah that whole flavors thing is really grasping at straws... I'd be surprised the FDA bought into it if it weren't for all their special interests...

And most mouthwashes did get rid of their alcohol because of the flavors and kids thing, tho I think they actually had evidence for that one...

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
It is not carved in stone that nicotine has to be a tobacco product. Vaping is currently a 2 billion dollar a year industry, the fight is over who is going to get their cut of that pot of money, and the amount is rapidly expanding.

If there is enough profit in it, ($2,000,000,000.00) a company like Monsanto could produce a GMO eggplant with 20% nicotine. As there is already 0.1% nicotine in the eggplant already.modification to produce more should be rather straightforward. Might Monsanto like to take a huge slice out of the expanding pile of money available?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It is not carved in stone that nicotine has to be a tobacco product. Vaping is currently a 2 billion dollar a year industry, the fight is over who is going to get their cut of that pot of money, and the amount is rapidly expanding.

If there is enough profit in it, ($2,000,000,000.00) a company like Monsanto could produce a GMO eggplant with 20% nicotine. As there is already 0.1% nicotine in the eggplant already.modification to produce more should be rather straightforward. Might Monsanto like to take a huge slice out of the expanding pile of money available?

Another company that is hated by a certain faction. Big Farma? :facepalm: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread