Reo Leaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
So I have two reos. one with the new adjustable 510 and one with the old style 510. The one with the old 510 leaks very bad every now and then. usually my center feed tube has come loose where it screws on and holds the firing pin in place. When that happens i just take it apart, clean it out and put it back together making sure the center pin is screwed on tightly. This time it leaked all over the inside of my mod but the center center feed tube is still nice and tight like it should be. I always thought the center feed tube being loose was the problem and it probably was. But with the center feed tube still tight this time what else could be causing it to leak all over the inside? I know that sending it to Rob for a 510 upgrade would most likely solve the problem but i just cant afford it right now... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Robinowitz

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So I have two reos. one with the new adjustable 510 and one with the old style 510. The one with the old 510 leaks very bad every now and then. usually my center feed tube has come loose where it screws on and holds the firing pin in place. When that happens i just take it apart, clean it out and put it back together making sure the center pin is screwed on tightly. This time it leaked all over the inside of my mod but the center center feed tube is still nice and tight like it should be. I always thought the center feed tube being loose was the problem and it probably was. But with the center feed tube still tight this time what else could be causing it to leak all over the inside? I know that sending it to Rob for a 510 upgrade would most likely solve the problem but i just cant afford it right now... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob's "Replacing the positive contact" video shows a fix using TFE paste on the feed tube when you reassemble it. I bought a tube... it works wonders.

Reactions: Rob.Gee

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Just a thought here, but the last time you tightened the nipple down you may have went a little too far with it and it may have a hairline split in it and that is where the major leaking is happening this time around. This happened to me the 1st time I changed out one of my originals prior to having it replaced by Rob for the new 510... Have you done any leak tests with the delrin cover off? That would give you an idea as to where it might be.

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
Rob's "Replacing the positive contact" video shows a fix using TFE paste on the feed tube when you reassemble it. I bought a tube... it works wonders.

That's sounds like it would work although I'm not comfortable adding a paste to to my feed tube. Just sounds unhealthy. I'm might just be paranoid on that one but that's me..

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
Just a thought here, but the last time you tightened the nipple down you may have went a little too far with it and it may have a hairline split in it and that is where the major leaking is happening this time around. This happened to me the 1st time I changed out one of my originals prior to having it replaced by Rob for the new 510... Have you done any leak tests with the delrin cover off? That would give you an idea as to where it might be.

It is definitely possible that I cracked the nipple but if I did it's a small crack. I did a small sqounk/leak test last night but I didn't block off the top of the 510 for extended pressure or any thing like that. I take both apart down to just the 510 and nipple thing every other week for a cleaning and most times there is no sign of juice behind the delrin

Reactions: muzichead

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
That's sounds like it would work although I'm not comfortable adding a paste to to my feed tube. Just sounds unhealthy. I'm might just be paranoid on that one but that's me..

It's Teflon Paste that is used on plumbing fittings same as Teflon Tape. If you can drink water from plumbing with that kind of sealant you ought to be able vape using it. Same as with plumbing fittings the paste is not in contact with the liquid in a Reo either. Paranoid? :2c: Definitely.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yup cracked.. been there done that. Best to send it in for the masters to fix and best to just get the new ss 510 at the same time then you can fix it without fear of ever cracking it again since it's ss and not brass..

Atleast ya got 2 reos so you won't skip a beat when it's out at the spa.

Reactions: redeyedancer

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
Like I said probably just paranoid about the paste... Couldn't be any thing with the mod itself could it? As in upgrading the 510 should fix the problem and not require the paste right? What about the stuff that is between the nipple and the body on inside of the510 (if that makes sense). I thought that was to protect it from shorts at the nipple and my was in pretty bad shape when I got the mod so it was replaced with some orings..

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Its a crack in the center post or a broken gasket my money would be on the broken center post . This is the main reason I started making my own 510 connections the source were I got them made changes and the center post were not as thick as the early parts . We started to see more and more of these post with cracks from over tightening . Your best bet is to send the mod to me for a new stainless 510 . Once I am out of the old parts folks will have no choice but to upgrade .

If the paste scares you use teflon tape or go dry its not a must .

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
I think I'll just wait until I can afford to upgrade since most of the time it's fine. @redeyedancer how do you feel about upgrading a beat up mod? We talked about it via pm before but I never followed through because of $$ problems and the mod is quite scratched on the outside. Was originally ano black but is now a bare alluminum.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I think I'll just wait until I can afford to upgrade since most of the time it's fine. @redeyedancer how do you feel about upgrading a beat up mod? We talked about it via pm before but I never followed through because of $$ problems and the mod is quite scratched on the outside. Was originally ano black but is now a bare alluminum.
I will upgrade any metal mod you send in

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
@Rob.Gee , liquid of any kind has a funny way of working its way through threads - unless you're using some kind of lock nut with integrated silicone that helps keep it tight. Unfortunately, we don't have an option of adding rubber or silicone to the inside of the nipple. So, we have to do the next best thing. I wouldn't let the idea of adding the Teflon paste to the inside threads of the Center Post scare me. You're only applying a little dab on the end of a toothpick; smearing it on the upper end of the threads, and tightening the nipple. This paste we're talking about is not runny. It's thick; stays in place, and will form a good seal. Juice should not be in contact with it.

The ModFather's use of Teflon paste to seal threading... is an excellent idea. :thumb:

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
I suppose I could get past the paranoia of the teflon paste but would almost just rather wait. And it really doesn't happen too often. Its not a constant leak at all. I pulled the delrin cover before and after work today and there is no juice inside the mod. The problem is that it just leaks all over the place in a short period of time, usually shortly before i have to leave for work.

Also I don't really have any other needs for Teflon paste so it would kind of feel wasteful. So I think I'll wait for now. I think might be able to get away with it after Christmas.

Reactions: jifjifjif

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
The Paste is less than $3.00, and can be used on many other applications. Also, the paste is fairly easy to remove off the threads using a wet Q-Tip.

As Spydro mentioned, if you don't want to use the Paste, you could use Teflon Tape instead. Might be a little more challenging though. Cutting a small strip, and using tweezers to position it would be ideal.

Hope you get it solved. Any leak at all is one leak to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread