Returning to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
hi all!
I am thinking of returning to vaping after a good few years off.

I used to use the kanger protank 2 and then the protank 3 when it came out. I used to use it with a variable voltage battery and some sort of honey caramel flavoured juice from the alchemists cupboard.

The reason I went back on tradition cigarettes was I was having issues with the coils i couldn't find the right resistance. it was either too strong or no flavour at all or used to taste burnt.

I have been looking into buying a new ecig but have noticed they seem to have come a long way since I last used them.
If anyone could please recommend a good quality minimal fuss set up and what juices are good nowadays?

Thanks in advance
Natalie

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
I've just returned to vaping myself - my third attempt, and I seem to be having more success this time.

I actually re-bought the same kit I had last time - A TECC ARC4 and a TW ARC MINI (the latter is basically a mini version of the former for taking out and about) - These are both rebranded iStick devices. I use them with CS Air tanks (and have ordered a couple of Nautilus Minis to swap out too).

These are pretty entry level devices but I get on well with them and they seem reliable. Not had too many problems so far.

One thing I've done differently this time, which has really improved matters, is been far more proactive with experimenting with the variable wattage - I'm learning that with some juices the flavour is way better on a high setting, with others it's better low. Before I just tried to choose a sweet spot and assumed it would be "one size fits all." I'm just trying to embrace it all a lot more this time!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Wow... Alchemist's Cupboard... now you have my attention.

Welcome to the ECF @Nataliexxx

Hindsight is a wonderful thing; what we know now (and can buy) and what was available then are a long way apart.
Protank 2 and 3 were quite unpredictable devices unless you could run them at low enough power for those tiny little atomizer heads. The latest stuff is better... but HURRY! you do not have long because in 22 days some of the best stuff will be gone. Sure, there will be new and exciting products, but they will be limited by the EU TPD laws.

The batteries/mods are not a problem (unless you buy kits) but the tanks are in for a bashing.

I would try and bag a kit and a couple of large tanks before they are finished off by our lovely government.
Personally, I would get an iStick Pico kit with the Melo III tank.
You could look at Aspire Zelos with the mini Nautilus 2 but it wouldn't be my choice... there are 2 very serious shortcomings with that product.

Wherever you buy - watch for a few things;
There are A LOT of bargains until 20th May. Don't pay full price for stuff which is on sale (on sale, not 'in' a sale) in the shops and those people actually know they have to stop selling them very soon.
Needless to say, avoid the e-cig mafia.... you know, those shops that sell re-branded hardware.

Failing all that, just buy a Joyetech eGo AIO. :)

If you want some liquids, Vapouriz (who I never recommended before, as they were too expensive) are selling off all their non-TPD bottles in a genuine sale.
The committed vapers (I am one) are hoovering up all the large bottles of e-liquid.
We are also all bagging tanks over 2ml that suit our style.

That's it. :)

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
Welcome back. What type of device? Box looking type or cigarette type of ecig? Tank size? What is important to you other than minimal fuss? Flavor? throat hit? etc.

:)
I am open to suggestions....does the tank size make a difference? I like the throat hit. Not so strong I cough but I do like to feel it as for flavour yes I suppose I do like to taste something it doesn't have to be overpowering x

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Tank size mostly just makes a difference in capacity, but a larger tank base has the possibility of giving you more airflow by just allowing physically larger holes. If you're comparing two versions of the "same tank" that are different sizes with the same/similar coil (examples: SMOK TFV8, TFV8 Baby, TFV8 Big Baby) the experience will typically be fairly similar, maybe not exact. But there are a lot of different tanks and styles that provide different experiences.

You are probably used to much lower power than is typical these days. I might suggest looking at a mid-power device (anywhere from 50-80W, but you won't necessarily vape nearly that high) with a decent tank.

Something like the SMOK QBox 50W starter kit with the Baby Beast would work very well I think, but it's just a thought. That is one of the most popular tanks out there right now, the device is small and has a built in battery, and 50W will be a lot more power than you would have been using and it simultaneously doesn't sound like you *want* a ton ton more. The coils used in that tank are low resistance but hit smoothly; I don't think they should cause a crazy amount of coughing.

Do you know the difference between "sub ohm vaping" and "above ohm vaping?" With the protections in modern regulated mods, it's less essential to be completely versed on all the terms as it once was, but many of the even basic kits now are sub ohm kits, whereas the Protanks were not. You may not be interested in going sub ohm, or may find above-ohm closer to what you know. Then again, you didn't love what you knew. If you don't know the difference, we can help! Just didn't want to give you the whole spiel and have you come back and say, thanks I'm totally aware of all that.

The Qbox is just one of a LOT of options; it would definitely be helpful if you narrowed your parameters a little! You definitely have some, but there are just that many choices :) What is MOST important to you? A long time between refills? Minimal effort? Easy flavor switching? Long battery life? Lower cost? Stronger flavor? Small size?

Last edited:

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
Wow... Alchemist's Cupboard... now you have my attention.

Welcome to the ECF @Nataliexxx

Hindsight is a wonderful thing; what we know now (and can buy) and what was available then are a long way apart.
Protank 2 and 3 were quite unpredictable devices unless you could run them at low enough power for those tiny little atomizer heads. The latest stuff is better... but HURRY! you do not have long because in 22 days some of the best stuff will be gone. Sure, there will be new and exciting products, but they will be limited by the EU TPD laws.

The batteries/mods are not a problem (unless you buy kits) but the tanks are in for a bashing.

I would try and bag a kit and a couple of large tanks before they are finished off by our lovely government.
Personally, I would get an iStick Pico kit with the Melo III tank.
You could look at Aspire Zelos with the mini Nautilus 2 but it wouldn't be my choice... there are 2 very serious shortcomings with that product.

Wherever you buy - watch for a few things;
There are A LOT of bargains until 20th May. Don't pay full price for stuff which is on sale (on sale, not 'in' a sale) in the shops and those people actually know they have to stop selling them very soon.
Needless to say, avoid the e-cig mafia.... you know, those shops that sell re-branded hardware.

Failing all that, just buy a Joyetech eGo AIO. :)

If you want some liquids, Vapouriz (who I never recommended before, as they were too expensive) are selling off all their non-TPD bottles in a genuine sale.
The committed vapers (I am one) are hoovering up all the large bottles of e-liquid.
We are also all bagging tanks over 2ml that suit our style.

That's it. :)
Thanks for the info. What you said explains the reason I used to get a burnt taste with the protank. On low power I didn't get the throat hit or the taste but turn up the power and it was horrid!

Ok so I found the pico kit for £26 excl vat

Eleaf iStick Pico TC 75W TPD Compliant Kit – £26.00 (excl VAT) – (RRP £42.00) | Vaportiser E-Cigarettes Wholesalers UK

Is that tank it comes with the one you mentioned ? Thanks again

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
Tank size mostly just makes a difference in capacity, but a larger tank base has the possibility of giving you more airflow by just allowing physically larger holes. If you're comparing two versions of the "same tank" that are different sizes with the same coil (examples: SMOK TFV8, TFV8 Baby, TFV8 Big Baby) the experience will typically be fairly similar. But there are a lot of different tanks and styles.

You are probably used to much lower power than is typical these days. I might suggest looking at a mid-power device (anywhere from 50-80W, but you won't necessarily vape nearly that high) with a decent tank.

Something like the SMOK QBox 50W starter kit with the Baby Beast would work very well I think, but it's just a thought. That is one of the most popular tanks out there right now, the device is small and has a built in battery, and 50W will be a lot more power than you would have been using and it simultaneously doesn't sound like you *want* a ton ton more. The coils used in that tank are low resistance but hit smoothly; I don't think they should cause a crazy amount of coughing.

Do you know the difference between "sub ohm vaping" and "above ohm vaping?" With the protections in modern regulated mods, it's less essential to be completely versed on all the terms as it once was, but many of the even basic kits now are sub ohm kits, whereas the Protanks were not. You may not be interested in going sub ohm, or may find above-ohm closer to what you know. Then again, you didn't love what you knew. If you don't know the difference, we can help! Just didn't want to give you the whole spiel and have you come back and say, thanks I'm totally aware of all that.

The Qbox is just one of a LOT of options; it would definitely be helpful if you narrowed your parameters a little! You definitely have some, but there are just that many choices :) What is MOST important to you? A long time between refills? Minimal effort? Easy flavor switching? Long battery life? Lower cost? Stronger flavor? Small size?

Just looking at the Qbox now.... looks interesting. I suppose if I had to prioritise I'd put flavour first. One thing I hated was changing coils on the protank. They used to last around two weeks but the quiality of the vape definitely declined as the days went on .

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I didn't realize you were in the UK, sorry!

IMHO the Pico kit is a great option. The link you posted doesn't work but I checked it out and it comes with the tank mentioned, the Melo III Mini. It's a good tank. The Pico is small and powerful and has a lot of features. It just requires an external 18650 battery, so you need to be careful purchasing your battery through a reputable source as there are many fakes.

I would probably sooner go with the Pico instead of the Qbox as long as you are comfortable with a removable battery. If you're not super comfortable, there are other internal battery mods besides the Qbox, too.

The only other downside to the Pico is that it only fits tanks up to 22mm, but that is the exact size of the tank it comes with and many other tanks are also 22mm. This really shouldn't be a problem for where you're at right now; I think that's a very good choice.

As long as you don't push too hard, modern coils should last longer than that. Some will, some won't, but you will be getting a VASTLY improved experience throughout the life of the coil and on average, the difference between a fully contemporary coil and a protank head is night and day. The Pico and Melo III Mini should give you very good flavor.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
I didn't realize you were in the UK, sorry!

IMHO the Pico kit is a great option. The link you posted doesn't work but I checked it out and it comes with the tank mentioned, the Melo III Mini. It's a good tank. The Pico is small and powerful and has a lot of features. It just requires an external 18650 battery, so you need to be careful purchasing your battery through a reputable source as there are many fakes.

I would probably sooner go with the Pico instead of the Qbox as long as you are comfortable with a removable battery. If you're not super comfortable, there are other internal battery mods besides the Qbox, too.

The only other downside to the Pico is that it only fits tanks up to 22mm, but that is the exact size of the tank it comes with and many other tanks are also 22mm. This really shouldn't be a problem for where you're at right now; I think that's a very good choice.

As long as you don't push too hard, modern coils should last longer than that. Some will, some won't, but you will be getting a VASTLY improved experience throughout the life of the coil and on average, the difference between a fully contemporary coil and a protank head is night and day. The Pico and Melo III Mini should give you very good flavor.

I can't seem the find the pico in stock anywhere in U.K.....are they popular?
would any external battery fit it?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Nataliexxx

Apr 28, 2017
IMG_8521.PNG
It's a £35-£38 kit most places. (like Amazon for example)

(£26 from China).

Here's one (maybe?)

Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC - Kit
Ok added to basket. Is this all I need?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
There you go, that is a good order for where you're at. Well, it's a good order for anyone-- those Picos are great IMO. Make sure to come back if you have questions when you get it. That is a good battery for the device, as well. Good luck, I think you'll love it!

When buying juice, I would recommend staying away from Max VG for a tank like that, but if you've already ordered and you got anything like that, it's not going to be the end of the world. The tank can handle fairly thick liquid, but I do try to stick to 70% VG or less and get great performance from that.

Also, if you remember what nicotine level you were using in the Protank, you should reduce quite a bit for this kind of device. Those coils will produce a LOT more vapor and the nicotine will absorb better. I would probably recommend 6mg in a tank like that for someone switching back to vaping, but you might want to get a couple of different strengths in case anything is too strong or not strong enough... just be aware that if you try to vape 10mg nic eliquid or stronger in a sub ohm tank it will PROBABLY be very very harsh, but some people like higher strength nicotine regardless of what they're using. Just something to know!

Last edited:

StarreLabelle

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2014
Texas, Near Randolph Air Force Base
If they're banning the sale of Tanks, won't that include the factory coils, too, that will be banned?
I recommend you buy an RTDA, RTA, or RDA, so you can make your own coils if the factory coils get banned.
Many Tanks also come with a separate RTA, then you have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread