RSST Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I've never had a mechanical mod, I always get regulated mods. I have heard so much about when the battery goes down then you're vape changes and forces you to keep changing batteries to continue with the vape you want. I don't know if that is a valid concern or just another over blown criticism by regulated fanboys, anyway, that's why I never used one. On second thought, I do have a couple regulated mods that can be put into bypass mode (as they call it) that I can try out just to see what's up with mech mode.

Reactions: thetrucker

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I've never had a mechanical mod, I always get regulated mods. I have heard so much about when the battery goes down then you're vape changes and forces you to keep changing batteries to continue with the vape you want. I don't know if that is a valid concern or just another over blown criticism by regulated fanboys, anyway, that's why I never used one. On second thought, I do have a couple regulated mods that can be put into bypass mode (as they call it) that I can try out just to see what's up with mech mode.
I have an answer, but I'm too tired (and buzzed after 3 fingers of bourbon, if I want to be honest) to provide it now... tag me tomorrow :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Dual_Coil_RSST.jpg

Nice pics looking good...............................

That's the way I feel after using the Natural Mech Mod a couple years back.........I now use a subVod mega TC 2300......no power adjustment.....it

has circuits in it so it is really not a mech mod.....per say.............but seems to give me steady power until it quits and needs charging...........I am

running the dual coil RSST with cotton wicks and 2..........28 guage 6 wrap coils....heated and squeezed tite..........no spaces between the turns.........

I switch to Stainless mesh every once in a while........I usually cut a piece about the size of a postage stamp........and roll it not too tite....

Reactions: 52anddone

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nice pics looking good...............................

Thank You Trucker. :)

That's the way I feel after using the Natural Mech Mod a couple years back.........I now use a subVod mega TC 2300......no power adjustment.....it

has circuits in it so it is really not a mech mod.....per say.............but seems to give me steady power until it quits and needs charging

That's what I was wondering about when thinking about using a Mech Mod. Could you say that you're SubVod Mega TC 2300 is like a regulated Mech Mod then ? Now I might try my Sigelei mini 30 W in ByPass mode, sounds like it might be the same as you're solution.

I am

running the dual coil RSST with cotton wicks and 2..........28 guage 6 wrap coils....heated and squeezed tite..........no spaces between the turns.........

You're running cotton wicks now, do you like cotton better than Mesh, or is cotton just a different type of vape for you ? Sounds like a macro type contact coil, I was wondering how using a contact coil would work, I just hadn't gotten far enough along to try one myself.

I switch to Stainless mesh every once in a while........I usually cut a piece about the size of a postage stamp........and roll it not too tite....

I'll try you're method to see what happens, sounds interesting. Thanks Trucker.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I have an answer, but I'm too tired (and buzzed after 3 fingers of bourbon, if I want to be honest) to provide it now... tag me tomorrow :p

Where you at Shawn, I'm curious as to you're answer.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Where you at Shawn, I'm curious as to you're answer.
Arkansas...

Oh, wait... the other answer...

Times have changed, of course, and the circuitry in regulated mods has improved greatly (bigly?). However, it used to be that without proper step-down/buck/boost the vape off of a regulated device was erratic. There were (and still are) issues with step-down meaning that higher resistance coils were fried even at low wattages. Boost meant pulsing and fluctuating at higher wattages. Further, older regulated devices limited the user to 20 or 30 watts... remember that it wasn't until the beginning of 2015 that we began to see the big bumps in regulated devices. Ooooh, but the iStick 50 which fired as low as .2 was a big deal, right...

Vaping on a mech delivers raw voltage. With a grasp of ohms law (or a good calculator), and some building skills, vapers were able to achieve a smooth, high-powered vape. Sure, it meant swapping batteries as they drained, but for that space of time between 4.0 V and 3.6 V, it was - is - a very good vape with the right build. Out of my 130ish mods, 40ish are unregulated/mechs.

It's interesting to note that unregulated mods - differing from mechs as they have a limited set of protections but the general performance of a mech - haven't really gone away... in fact, most starter kits are still just glorified mechs...

I also think our dear friends in the media have played a big part in the decrease in mech popularity. Regulated devices can and do fail catastrophically, too, but not with the /$£\÷£@£!/ frequency that mechs in the hands of idjits fail. The FUD factor...

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Arkansas...

Oh, wait... the other answer...

Times have changed, of course, and the circuitry in regulated mods has improved greatly (bigly?). However, it used to be that without proper step-down/buck/boost the vape off of a regulated device was erratic. There were (and still are) issues with step-down meaning that higher resistance coils were fried even at low wattages. Boost meant pulsing and fluctuating at higher wattages. Further, older regulated devices limited the user to 20 or 30 watts... remember that it wasn't until the beginning of 2015 that we began to see the big bumps in regulated devices. Ooooh, but the iStick 50 which fired as low as .2 was a big deal, right...

Vaping on a mech delivers raw voltage. With a grasp of ohms law (or a good calculator), and some building skills, vapers were able to achieve a smooth, high-powered vape. Sure, it meant swapping batteries as they drained, but for that space of time between 4.0 V and 3.6 V, it was - is - a very good vape with the right build. Out of my 130ish mods, 40ish are unregulated/mechs.

It's interesting to note that unregulated mods - differing from mechs as they have a limited set of protections but the general performance of a mech - haven't really gone away... in fact, most starter kits are still just glorified mechs...

I also think our dear friends in the media have played a big part in the decrease in mech popularity. Regulated devices can and do fail catastrophically, too, but not with the /$£\÷£@£!/ frequency that mechs in the hands of idjits fail. The FUD factor...

Arkansas, :rolleyes::lol:, Good one.:thumbs:

I agree with you 100% in what you have posted here. Just before reading you're post I was notified of a new study that touched on this very subject here;

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

I found it very informative, hopefully ya'll will also. Thank You Shawn for you're reply.

The Media, their just a bunch of Non-Informed Bone Heads, out to scare the public any, and every time that they can.

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Thank You Trucker. :)

That's what I was wondering about when thinking about using a Mech Mod. Could you say that you're SubVod Mega TC 2300 is like a regulated Mech Mod then ? Now I might try my Sigelei mini 30 W in ByPass mode, sounds like it might be the same as you're solution.

You're running cotton wicks now, do you like cotton better than Mesh, or is cotton just a different type of vape for you ? Sounds like a macro type contact coil, I was wondering how using a contact coil would work, I just hadn't gotten far enough along to try one myself.

I'll try you're method to see what happens, sounds interesting. Thanks Trucker.

This is my dual coils RSST with glass tank.....before and after inserting my wicks....28 guage 5 wrap.....cotton wicks........
UnwickedCoils.jpg
RSSTwicked.jpg

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nice pic's Trucker, do you notice, as some say that they do, a big up tick in juice consumption using dual coils, or do you just get a better, more concentrated vape ? Also what is the tank capacity, 3ml ? I'm asking cause I might get one for myself.

Here's a few pic's of my current build (twisted 32g Kanthal) that I am using right now, vapes pretty good.
P1010189 (Custom).JPG
P1010194 (Custom).JPG
P1010196 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
2Holes.jpg
Nice pic's Trucker, do you notice, as some say that they do, a big up tick in juice consumption using dual coils, or do you just get a better, more concentrated vape ? Also what is the tank capacity, 3ml ? I'm asking cause I might get one for myself.

Here's a few pic's of my current build (twisted 32g Kanthal) that I am using right now, vapes pretty good.
View attachment 639959
View attachment 639963
View attachment 639965

I enjoyed seeing your pics.......the dual coil does eat juice fast...........3 mil is the capacity for the glass tank...........the vape is about the same as the

single coil model..........I think after using both ...that you are better off with the single coil model.......don't really need 2 coils........I have 2 wick holes

and so I make 2 coils......LOL..........but I got a very good vape from the single coil model..........my single coil model fell apart after 3 years of use...and

now it is sitting there in my little collection of atomizers...........I put 2 coils on the single coil model but had to fill it with a hypodermic needle slid

down beside one of the wicks.........I used the fill hole as a coil spot.....but it did not work really well.........just had to experiment............this is a pic of my single coil cap that fits

onto my dual coil model.....I made 2 holes to accomidate my 2 experimental coils....

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I just received my other 2 new/old stock RSST's from Eciggity ($12.99 ea.) and they look complete. 3 RSST's should hold me over for a while. I'll take you're advise and just stick with the single coil version.

this is a pic of my single coil cap that fits

onto my dual coil model.....I made 2 holes to accomidate my 2 experimental coils....

Looks factory enough to me, actually I thought that it was.:thumb:

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I'm running Hangsen's Arabic HS tobacco in my RSST with 325 mesh at the moment, and that Arabic tobacco is a NET. It is not a dark juice, even mixed at 3% Arabic in a 50/50 blend is light colored. My question is, will a NET plug up the mesh very fast so that it won't transfer the juice up to my coil, I mean, any more so than a cotton or Rayon wick ? Before I was using a .75% Arabic mixture in my RTA's (didn't know that it was a NET at the time) and noticed the wick in my Menthol juice mix would last longer between wickings, I mean that the wick lasts longer before having to change it out (KGD/Rayon) than the Arabic wicking would. Does the mesh have to be changed more often than the KGD/Rayon wick. If I ask that question a bunch of different ways, I'll get one of them right, I'm having a hard time expressing myself tonight for some reason, Sorry about that.:facepalm:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I'm running Hangsen's Arabic HS tobacco in my RSST with 325 mesh at the moment, and that Arabic tobacco is a NET. It is not a dark juice, even mixed at 3% Arabic in a 50/50 blend is light colored. My question is, will a NET plug up the mesh very fast so that it won't transfer the juice up to my coil, I mean, any more so than a cotton or Rayon wick ? Before I was using a .75% Arabic mixture in my RTA's (didn't know that it was a NET at the time) and noticed the wick in my Menthol juice mix would last longer between wickings, I mean that the wick lasts longer before having to change it out (KGD/Rayon) than the Arabic wicking would. Does the mesh have to be changed more often than the KGD/Rayon wick. If I ask that question a bunch of different ways, I'll get one of them right, I'm having a hard time expressing myself tonight for some reason, Sorry about that.:facepalm:

I don't really know anything about the NET...juices....to be honest.......it seems like every flavor that I have will eventually turn the cotton or the mesh

into burnt offerings...lol.........I don't reall see much of a difference....... in times..........my cotton turns brown after a while because of the high

heat of the coil getting hot and I think the natural sugars will carmalize and then I add new cotton wicks and it seems to taste better and the wicking

seems to be about the same here........but as they say...........your mileage may vary....ymmv...........LOL......I have run both cotton...rayon...and

Stainless Mesh.....I my RSST.....and it seems to be about the same overall experience............

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Well now, "same overall experience you say", guess that I'll find out. I'm so used to running KGD and Rayon (Rayon will last quite a bit longer for me than KGD does) that I'll be able to tell if there is a noticeable difference with mesh. The only other difference is that I'm running my RSST at either 9 or 10 watts, compared to my KGD/Rayon builds being run at between 13-15 watts, but I think that that's because in my RSST I'm bringing in less air flow than on my RTA's with KGD/Rayon. The RSST has the tightest draw of any other Atomizer that I have, even after opening it up some, so less wattage.

To be honest Trucker, I don't know too awful much either about NET's (no research on my end), I've been using this Hangsen Arabic HS for about a year now, and only buy it from BullCityFlavors.Com, but just noticed in the description that it said it was a NET. Here all along I was thinking it was a regular tobacco flavor, like so many others. Now it makes sense why it seems that I have to change out my wicking more often (KGD/Rayon), but like I said, Arabic is just tinted with a light color and not dark like so many talk about their NET's being, so we'll see what happens with the mesh. So far I kind of like working with mesh. I asked because I have seen others post that their mesh wicks are lasting longer than their cotton wicking, but can't remember if they are using Fruity Flavors, Pastry, Tobacco or what they used. Huh, guess it doesn't matter, as long as it is lasting longer for them.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
FWIW, Re. NETs & mesh wicks:- I vape pretty much 100% NETs, diy ones which are MUCH gunkier than the squeaky-clean Hangsens. It was always a fight for Me to find a way of wicking that did n't clog up quickly.....I ended up using mesh as I can just pull the wicks, burn 'em clean, dry burn the coils, re-insert the wicks & off again. Same coils & wicks in one of My Little 16 clones (squonking) since October..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread