Screwdriver MKII Troubleshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a troubleshooter for anyone who owns or has recently purchased a Screwdriver MKII and for some reason it is not working. Thought it might be helpful for the rare person that has a problem with their SD. Most of it will probably seem like obvious common-sense, but I'll just put it all there as a checklist.

*Post Addendum* As Prof Beard has pointed out, if you have purchased an SD MKII with tank conversion, before you use your device, you must ensure that the adapter is screwed all the way in and the tank atty is screwed on properly. All contact points must be made or you will short out your device and the spring in your SD will shrink back from the battery as a safety measure. I will also point out that before you screw on your adaptor to the SD, check that the contact plate in the top fitting of your device is not sitting too low. See photo below. It is worthwhile gently levering it up a little bit as I describe later on in this post. This will ensure that contact between the SD and the adaptor is made (as well as screwing your adaptor on properly) and will prevent the short-circuit from happening. Don't lever it out too much, you don't want to damage the internal wiring. Just so it is sitting about 1 - 1.5mm below the top of the threading. I will point out that this is my personal opinion on this and i do not represent the makers or distributors of this device. Any advice in this thread that is acted upon is done so at the risk of the user. I'm merely explaining what worked for me.

I recently bought a screwdriver and it wasn't working and I figured out how to get it functioning. This may or may not work for you depending on your situation.

*Step 1: Make sure your batteries are good and are fully charged.
*Step 2: Make sure you put your battery in the right way up, - (negative) in the switch end.
*Step 3: Make sure the switch mechanism is working properly and is making contact with the battery when it is pressed in. If you put your battery into the bottom half of your SD and push the button, the battery should rise up slightly. That will tell you that your switch is making contact.
*Step 4: Have a look inside the spring end (top piece) of your SD. If your SD shorted out, your spring probably shrank back in on itself - as a safety measure - and is not making contact with the battery any more. It will probably look a bit burnt looking as well. Using some tweezers or similar tool, carefully grip the top of the spring and gently pull it back out, extending it once more so that it can make contact with the battery.
*Step 5: Clean all contact points on your SD, including the threads and spring (you might need to scratch the top of the spring with a metal object to make a clean contact if the spring is burnt).
*Step 6: This next one is important because it is the one thing I didn't think of and caused me to be without my SD for a week before I worked it out! This may be the reason your SD shorted out in the first place. Have a look on top of your SD, at the Atty connection.

2rm7bcp.jpg

Reference: Image taken from Prof Beard's Blog on UK Vapers.

Looking top-down onto your atty fitting you should see an outer ring, which is the threading for the atty connection, and an inner circle that is the contact plate. This may have been pushed in, and is no longer making contact with your atomizer or adaptor. Using a needle or something that will fit in there, get underneath the plate and very gently lever it out a bit of its pushed-in position. Do this from different sides so the plate is horizontal and not lopsided. It should sit just below the height of the threading, I'd say by about 1 - 1.5mm judging by where mine is and that its working. Put your SD back together - being careful that you do not over tighten the atty connection when you screw on your atomizer. Just screw it on until there is resistance, that's all you need. Also make sure to wet your atty with a few drops of liquid. If you are using Tank conversion, see addendum above. Check if your SD is working. It probably will be! If it's still not working try a different atty. If its still not working after that, the problem might be that the wire inside the top part of your SD is broken which is short circuiting the unit. In this case you will have to replace the top end of your SD.

I hope that this little trouble shooter will be of help to someone if something goes wrong with their Screwdriver. Happing vaping :toast:

Last edited:

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
It's worth stressing that a number of people have had problems with SD Mk2s caused by the "tank" 901-510 adapter from TW used to fit eGo tank type stuff to it. This adapter is made of two halves screwed together as it is longer than a normal 901-510 adapter, and sometimes is arrives not fully screwed together. If this is the case it causes a short and the SD spring (as it is designed to) will collapse to break the circuit. If you get one of this adapters CHECK it is fully screwed together before using it.

(Nice photo by the way - seems strangely familiar to me ;) )

(Nice photo by the way - seems strangely familiar to me ;) )

Damn! I forgot to reference that... Sometimes its quicker just to google an image than take one yourself. I am a bit lazy in that regard sometimes. ;) *The Image I've used above is courtesy of Prof Beard's Blog.* Taken from without permission actually... Hope you don't mind. Don't really know the rules yet on link references in your posts etc. Hmmm, I need to go through the rules properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread