Status
Not open for further replies.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
Ok, hopefully most will understand why I am starting this thread. I wanted to see a thread that could focus on the building and technical parts of Scubatdan's mods. I didn't want to see it get lost iN a CO-OP thread and Wanted to make it easier to find in a search. :blush:

This will be a great thread for when the time comes to build, get trouble shooting, and just general info. There ARE several other threads that will cover the genisis atty and Dans mods. Since there are so many of us that were in on the CO-OP, and many, many more interested...this will just give us a place for info specific to his great mods!

Look forward to seeing this thread grow, and seeing how everyone's Scubagens turn out! :thumbs:

Helpful links:

Parts List

Wick and Poly Tube sizes

Mesh rolling demo

Spring Connectors

Kanthal Wire

Silver Wire

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

Last edited:

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
Here is a link to a potential Co-Op... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/193341-wire-mesh-poly-carbonate-tubing-possible-coop-genisis-build.html#post3345409 that I believe is down to just a possible Co-Op for the wire mesh.

However, I feel a Co-Op is not worth it for me. :2c:

For about $50.00 you can get the rest of what is needed.

$34.29 2 Sheets of SS Mesh A4 size. Price includes shipping.
$6.50 75' roll of Kanthal. Price includes shipping.
$4.29 Pack of 25 O-Rings.*
$2.52 1 foot of polycarbonate tubing - enough for 4 (2 pieces each).*

*Shipping for the O-Rings & Tubing should be only @ $5.00.

This does not include a CE2 for the atty connector or the other material needed like the nuts for the springs, solder...

Summary:

About $23.00 for 1 sheet of mesh plus the rest listed above = < $45.00

(I had to break my 2 sheet purchase down and do a currency conversion to come up with the $23.00 estimate for 1 sheet)

When you purchase from The Mesh Company you get an extra sheet of mesh for every sheet you purchase for free. So my total cost for a 2 sheet purchase, which I should receive 4 sheets is about $8.60 per sheet.

To save on shipping and spend less money on the mesh, and if you only want one piece of mesh, you can purchase a 12"x12" sheet of 304 SS Woven Wire Cloth for $20.58 from McMaster-Carr. I believe this wire mesh has the same spec's as the wire mesh I purchased from The Mesh Company.

Summary:

The Kanthal is $6.50 shipped, purchasing the Polycarbonate Tubing, O-Rings and single sheet of Wire Mesh from McMaster-Carr the total would be < $40.00 shipped.

Last edited:

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
As for the minimum tools required:

You should be good with a dremel, channel locks or needle nose pliers, butane torch, soldering iron and supplies, and if you can swing it...a set of "helping hands" from radio shack make the soldering much easier. Oh and something to use to press the atty connector in......like a socket or a 801-901/510 adapter (adapter works great). I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that should be pretty close. And a bic pen....for the tubing to use on the positive post.

Well the minimum tools you will need is a dremel or hand file to do the nuts (Dremel is faster), and a soldering iron for the wiring, and a small pipe cutter for the poly tubing for clean straight cuts.
Dan

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
The good news.

1) I just received an email that the wire mesh that I ordered yesterday from The Mesh Company shipped already.

2) I ordered from McMaster-Carr yesterday and I should get my stuff today. UPS tracking indicates this along with my last purchase that arrived the day after I order it. McMaster-Carr has warehouses all over the US.

The Bad news.

I ended up getting charged twice for the shipping because they had to split the order between the package of O-Rings and the Polycarbonate Tubing, along with a $7.00 extra handling fee because UPS could not put the tubing on a conveyor. :censored:

Let me explain.

When I purchased polycarbonate tubing from McMaster-Carr for my MAP tanks I entered the part number four times. And they shipped me four, 1 foot pieces in a box.

If you add a 1 after the part number that makes it a 1 foot piece, This time I thought I would be smart and add the number for a 1 foot piece right on the order page in lieu of entering it four separate times. So the part number for the tubing for the ScubaGenV3 tubing is "8585K61" add a one to the end and you get 8585K611. When you do this it shows below the descriptor to enter the quantity, along with the descriptor indicating that it is for a one foot piece. I put in a 4 in the box that shows ft. for the quantity. I thought Ok! I just ordered four 1 foot pieces. Well, I will now get one four foot piece of tubing packaged in a long tube. It was about a $12.00 mistake.

The best thing to do is to enter the part number for each 1 foot piece that you want. This way they can package the tubing in a box with the O-Rings in lieu of a splitting the shipment up and sending the tubing separate in a long tube with the additional handling fee; it should cut the shipping cost doing it this way.

I'm not sure that if you ordered the tubing longer, like in a two foot length that it will ship it in a box. It may still be packaged in a separate tube. I could not get this verified by McMaster-Carr customer service. I did have the option to return the tubing for a full refund and place my order again. However I'm going to just keep it add forget about the additional shipping and handling that I ended up paying for.

I just wanted to share this, as I would not want you to have to pay more than what is necessary.

Edit to add;

It's a lot easier to work with a 1 foot piece tubing than a 4 foot piece.

The two pieces of tubing for the Scubgagenv3 adds up to 2.5 inches. so you should have no problem getting four sets of tubing from a 1 foot piece.

Customer service did state that I could have mentioned in the comment section of my order to have the piece of tubing cut in 1 foot sections.

Last edited:

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
As for the minimum tools required:
What Dan is giving you is the bare minimum, and what I put in are pretty much everything you will need but forgot to add the tube cutter, which i do have. Not all of what I listed will be needed, but it does make things much easier!

The Bad news.

I ended up getting charged twice for the shipping because they had to split the order between the package of O-Rings and the Polycarbonate Tubing, along with a $7.00 extra handling fee because UPS could not put the tubing on a conveyor. :censored:
When I ordered me tube, I ordered 2 feet....same way you ordered your four. I put in the comment section "please send tube in two(2) one foot sections", and they did. They still got it here the next day, along with my bag of O-rings. And since there is a distribution center here, they delivered it in one of their company vans....$9 shipping which brought my total to $20.

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
yeah, instead of searching, if I can keep them on the first post we will know exactly where to find them. Thats the idea anyway....

I believe that you can only edit a post for about the first 24 hours. I'm not sure on the exact time so don't quote me. I'm just letting you know that eventually you will not be able to edit it any further.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Wasnt aware of that, but I have several good links in there from ordering parts to wick rolling video....so if nothing else its a good start. Thanks for the FYI PZK! :)

You'll eventually have to do what I do on the CE2 list; you reply w/ qutoes, removes the quote commands, edit and post. A mod will then merge that into the first. All w/ the mod's approval of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread