Severe acid refluxer needs to quit analogs. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I have toyed with MTL vaping for several years, but never quit analogs. I have a hiatal hernia and was diagnosed, yesterday, with severe acid reflux. Made major lifestyle changes, including an acid reflux diet, but have to quit smoking. I've vaped 50/50 vg/pg, 12 mg nic and blueberry or coffee flavors from Mt Baker Vapor or EC Liquid. Does anyone have advice on the effects of vaping on this life changing diagnosis? Will vaping make my AR worse? I haven't tried DIY and wouldn't know where to start.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I'm not sure how much this may end up applying to you, since there is an allergen at play with tobacco in my case, but vaping - or rather, not smoking - keeps my G.I. issues (IBS, reflux) from flaring up anywhere near as often or as severely as they once did. Tobacco was a major instigator of all miserable things, gut-wise.

Vaping itself won't help your symptoms (or if it does I'll be shocked), but should help immensely with kicking the cigs proper. Just remember going full-time vape takes effort like any other method to quit, but you have some experience and gear on your side, and motivation on the medical end. You'll be fine. :)

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Get your switch made as soon as you can and then start knocking down the nic.
Nicotine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter.
I am down to about 3mg when I use nic, the rest of the time is 0mg.
Best of luck to you - reflux issues can be a nasty beast, stay on top of it !

Major lifestyle changes...how you sleep, foods, coffee...grrrrr....

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I suffered from acid reflux all the years I smoked.
I no longer have it.

Now, it would be unscientific to say smoking = acid, vaping = no acid - because if it is the Nicotine not the smoke, then vaping isn't a cure all.

However, most vapers nicotine yield is far lower than most people assume. If you can cut down to a low strength liquid over time, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

- - -

Personally, I think it's the smoke... but as we know, until recently smoke and nicotine have been considered the same thing! We need to fast forward to 2030 to find out the real story.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, it sounds to me like switching to vaping may not resolve all of your symptoms, but it may help some of them, especially if you can get your nicotine levels down to a reasonable amount (I'm not sure I'd worry about that as much while you are transitioning to vaping stably) and stay there, hopefully.

Have you talked to your medical practitioner about this he/she may have suggestions, e.g. if nicotine relaxes the sphincter in your stomach you may need to not vape near bedtime where you will be lying down (even if propped up) type of thing. I'd talk to your doctor more about it if you haven't.

The other thing you could do is vape unflavored, for a while. Then slowly add in simple flavors (by then, you may be ready for DIY, which, with one flavor profile is not very hard at all especially if you are already vaping unflavored) and see how your body reacts to them. I would probably do that if I were in your situation, to rule out allergies and sensitivities and then build a set of DIY flavorings that you can handle. For now, you can buy unflavored e-juice premade online if you aren't comfortable handling Nic, PG and VG.

Best of luck, I hope this works out for you and that you are able to get some resolution of your symptoms.

Anna

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I'm not sure how much this may end up applying to you, since there is an allergen at play with tobacco in my case, but vaping - or rather, not smoking - keeps my G.I. issues (IBS, reflux) from flaring up anywhere near as often or as severely as they once did. Tobacco was a major instigator of all miserable things, gut-wise.

Vaping itself won't help your symptoms (or if it does I'll be shocked), but should help immensely with kicking the cigs proper. Just remember going full-time vape takes effort like any other method to quit, but you have some experience and gear on your side, and motivation on the medical end. You'll be fine. :)
Thanks Victor Viper.
My problem is a hernia and a recent high fat diet since my husband retired. He had bariatric surgery to cure his diabetes, but requires high fat content to digest. Not easy to eat in my house.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
Get your switch made as soon as you can and then start knocking down the nic.
Nicotine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter.
I am down to about 3mg when I use nic, the rest of the time is 0mg.
Best of luck to you - reflux issues can be a nasty beast, stay on top of it !

Major lifestyle changes...how you sleep, foods, coffee...grrrrr....
I get it, Classwife. I've had mini attacks after a high fat meal, but nothing like this. Still sleeping with my sleep number bed cranked up and sliding down during the night. Was going to try patches with 0 nic juice, but I'm rethinking. Patches never worked for me before.

Reactions: stols001

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I suffered from acid reflux all the years I smoked.
I no longer have it.

Now, it would be unscientific to say smoking = acid, vaping = no acid - because if it is the Nicotine not the smoke, then vaping isn't a cure all.

However, most vapers nicotine yield is far lower than most people assume. If you can cut down to a low strength liquid over time, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

- - -

Personally, I think it's the smoke... but as we know, until recently smoke and nicotine have been considered the same thing! We need to fast forward to 2030 to find out the real story.
thanks DJS Vapour,
Funny, but smoking never bothered me or caused reflux. In my case, diet was the tipping point. Doing 12mg now and will drop to 6 ASAP.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
Yes, it sounds to me like switching to vaping may not resolve all of your symptoms, but it may help some of them, especially if you can get your nicotine levels down to a reasonable amount (I'm not sure I'd worry about that as much while you are transitioning to vaping stably) and stay there, hopefully.

Have you talked to your medical practitioner about this he/she may have suggestions, e.g. if nicotine relaxes the sphincter in your stomach you may need to not vape near bedtime where you will be lying down (even if propped up) type of thing. I'd talk to your doctor more about it if you haven't.

The other thing you could do is vape unflavored, for a while. Then slowly add in simple flavors (by then, you may be ready for DIY, which, with one flavor profile is not very hard at all especially if you are already vaping unflavored) and see how your body reacts to them. I would probably do that if I were in your situation, to rule out allergies and sensitivities and then build a set of DIY flavorings that you can handle. For now, you can buy unflavored e-juice premade online if you aren't comfortable handling Nic, PG and VG.

Best of luck, I hope this works out for you and that you are able to get some resolution of your symptoms.

Anna
Thanks Anna,
I had to wait 6 wks for an endoscopy. Unheard of in the US. Now I have to wait 2 weeks to speak with the MD about "the plan". Meanwhile I'm doing double doses of Prilosec and a Tagamet at bedtime, low acid diet and sleeping sitting up. It sucks, but it could always be worse.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks Anna,
I had to wait 6 wks for an endoscopy. Unheard of in the US. Now I have to wait 2 weeks to speak with the MD about "the plan". Meanwhile I'm doing double doses of Prilosec and a Tagamet at bedtime, low acid diet and sleeping sitting up. It sucks, but it could always be worse.

I know that feeling all too well. Sure, stopping smoking helps, but as @classwife pointed out, nicotine itself does lower esophageal sphincter tone. That said, I'd still rather be vaping than smoking, and I'm just careful about eating dinner well before sleeping and taking my prescribed med. Sorry to hear it will take 2 weeks to get a formal plan, but it sounds like you're already trying to do everything properly. Feel better!

• Agree

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Thanks Anna,
I had a few very bad what they called "acute" attacks when I smoked analogs. Now that I vape it is much better but not totally gone. I am no longer on any meds and vape mainly VG - PG irritated me a lot. For me, sleeping semi-sitting - no food for like 7 hours before bed and limiting PG in my vapes has helped a lot. Also, the doctor does not know why but sucking on butterscotch candy has helped me out and makes the vape taste really nice.

Just a side note - I was very low on Vitamin D and B12 and once those levels came back up it helped as well. A lot of doctors will not check that unless you specifically ask.

Good luck - I know how miserable AR can be and hopefully it is not a super serious form of AR.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I had a few very bad what they called "acute" attacks when I smoked analogs. Now that I vape it is much better but not totally gone. I am no longer on any meds and vape mainly VG - PG irritated me a lot. For me, sleeping semi-sitting - no food for like 7 hours before bed and limiting PG in my vapes has helped a lot. Also, the doctor does not know why but sucking on butterscotch candy has helped me out and makes the vape taste really nice.

Just a side note - I was very low on Vitamin D and B12 and once those levels came back up it helped as well. A lot of doctors will not check that unless you specifically ask.

Good luck - I know how miserable AR can be and hopefully it is not a super serious form of AR.
Thanks Chellie,

My vitamin D and B12 levels are spot on. Just had bloodwork done during this episode. At least I have a sleep number bed and the reading position works well, although I would love to do an 8" elevation eventually.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I know that feeling all too well. Sure, stopping smoking helps, but as @classwife pointed out, nicotine itself does lower esophageal sphincter tone. That said, I'd still rather be vaping than smoking, and I'm just careful about eating dinner well before sleeping and taking my prescribed med. Sorry to hear it will take 2 weeks to get a formal plan, but it sounds like you're already trying to do everything properly. Feel better!
Thanks Eskie,

Was hoping for Heliobacter, but so be it. Also investigating hernia repair. I'm married to an Italian. This really hurts my culinary desires.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks Eskie,

Was hoping for Heliobacter, but so be it. Also investigating hernia repair. I'm married to an Italian. This really hurts my culinary desires.

It is what it is. No other good advice, but I know if I could just drop 20 lb it would help, but I just love a fresh loaf of sourdough bread. I figure I gave up cigarettes, I'm entitled to at least one little vice.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
It is what it is. No other good advice, but I know if I could just drop 20 lb it would help, but I just love a fresh loaf of sourdough bread. I figure I gave up cigarettes, I'm entitled to at least one little vice.
I lost 20 lbs on an acid reflux diet which is good for my blood sugar. I'm a pre-diabetic, thanks to my family genes, so quitting smoking may be good, but food cannot be a replacement. Got a Baby Ruth? I'd love one right now.

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
I have toyed with MTL vaping for several years, but never quit analogs. I have a hiatal hernia and was diagnosed, yesterday, with severe acid reflux. Made major lifestyle changes, including an acid reflux diet, but have to quit smoking. I've vaped 50/50 vg/pg, 12 mg nic and blueberry or coffee flavors from Mt Baker Vapor or EC Liquid. Does anyone have advice on the effects of vaping on this life changing diagnosis? Will vaping make my AR worse? I haven't tried DIY and wouldn't know where to start.

I have severe acid reflux and vaping hasn't made it any worse nor better I take meds 2 times a day. I also have to drink liquid antacid when it get's really bad. I ended up in the ER a couple of times from the acid getting into my lungs, wasn't fun. I sleep on my left side with a few pillows to prop me up. Wish I could afford a sleep number but the pillows help. My Dr of course was blaming it on vaping ( New Doctor) I told her look in my records as I had it when smoking. She didn't know what to say then. Some Doctors just don't read and say it's just as bad as smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread