Hello and help! Allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzgrrl

Apr 25, 2018
Hello all I am a new member and have come for help as I want to vape but it’s not going well!

I am a pack a day smoker. I have now tried to quit twice using a vape with 70/30 pg/vg 6 mg and then a 50/50 pg/vg 6 mg

I throw away the cigarettes and vape off and on for about a 4
-6 hour period. Then have fairly sudden severe muscle cramps/tightness throughout my whole body and hives and chills that send me into the fetal position. They seem to dissipate within a few hours, but still a bit sore the next day.

The first time this happened I read about dehydration, and possible effects from pg and lactic acid.

Then I got a lower pg juice and it happened again.

Will a 100% vg juice make this stop?
Or is this a nicotine overdose maybe?
The first time this happened it scared the hell out of me so I switched juices and drank water like a fish the second time.

Thank in advance - it’s hard to get up the gumption to jump in With both feet and have it fail just hours later - and in a scary way. I’d really like to find a way to ditch the cigarettes.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am a pack a day smoker. I have now tried to quit twice using a vape with 70/30 pg/vg 6 mg and then a 50/50 pg/vg 6 mg

I throw away the cigarettes and vape off and on for about a 4
-6 hour period. Then have fairly sudden severe muscle cramps/tightness throughout my whole body and hives and chills that send me into the fetal position. They seem to dissipate within a few hours, but still a bit sore the next day.

The first time this happened I read about dehydration, and possible effects from pg and lactic acid.

Then I got a lower pg juice and it happened again.

Will a 100% vg juice make this stop?
Or is this a nicotine overdose maybe?
The first time this happened it scared the hell out of me so I switched juices and drank water like a fish the second time.
First off, a disclaimer. I'm not a physician so in no way should what I say be considered medical advice.

I've never read or heard of vaping causing the symptoms that you are describing. That said, it doesn't mean the vaping didn't cause your symptoms. Hives, skin rash, itching and swelling can be caused by allergins, but I've never heard or read that muscle cramps and chills can be caused by allergies.

Vaping can cause some dry mouth and mild dehydration, but I'd be surprised if vaping for just a 4 - 6 hour period would result in dehydration severe enough to cause cramping and muscle tightness.

Pg, Vg, and flavoring agents found in e-liquid can each cause allergic reactions or sensitivities. A selective process of elimination should help determine what is causing your issues if indeed you are allergic or sensitive to them. Each trial of vaping will need to completely eliminate one of the potential allergins.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm PG sensitive, but I found that out with my doc's assistance. Honestly, with the symptoms you are discussing I would not vape before seeing a good doctor, perhaps an allergist.

If you smoke, you are probably not allergic to nic. However, if you are allergic to anything else, you'll have to figure it out via a process of elimination. I would highly suggest developing an "allergy rescue" plan with an allergist before even attempting it. Allergy sensitivity can increase over time, if hives and etc. have started, I wouldn't attempt ANY process of elimination WITHOUT an epi pen and rescue meds on hand. Whatever you ARE allergic to in your vape sounds rather, um, intense.

You may be able to get there using DIY materials (eg. Just VG and nic, or just PG and nic, and then testing flavors, one by one.

But you need to see a doctor first..

Anna

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
Go see a doctor..... really !!!
On the face of it that might sound like good advice.
But.
Think about it.
Doctor I've taken up vaping and I feel terrible.
Oh so sorry to hear that.
Try not vaping see if you feel better.
Where shall I send my Bill.
Next patient please .

Honestly Baditude has given the best advice .

Try vaping straight VG. If that works for you try adding some VG nicotine .
If still good try some Max VG juice .
Nearly all flavour will have PG.
Most PG sensitive people myself included are ok with some.
The 70% and 50% PG you have been using would cause me problems.
Good luck and stay away from the pharmaceutical salesman masquerading as health professionals aka doctors.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, Upinsmoke if that is your opinion of doctors, I am completely without surprise that you find your interactions with them less than enjoyable. Doctors don't tend to pay attention to patients who are so dismissive of their profession.

I have good doctors (one of whom is a vaper) and I have a good relationship with all of mine. However, I have a respect for the profession (in general) and I have found that most doctors (not all) can be a valuable resource at times. I've gotten excellent advice re: vaping, from doctors.

I am also NOT a doctor, but do research things myself, as well as expecting to be a participating member of my treatment.

I don't find you advice at ALL sound, nor is it any sort of "blanket" statement to make. I hope that the OP does NOT listen to you, but perhaps you have not experienced a "full" allergy attack, placing you at risk of death. I HAVE had that experience and I for SURE hope that you haven't turned the OP off seeing a doctor, and that she's not lying there with her airway closed after "avoiding the pharm pushers." You know, an allergy RESCUE plan is in place for a reason, and it's due to the fact that it may potentially be needed.

Also, there was zero need to attack doctors as a whole because YOU had a bad experience with one. Frankly, if this is your opinion of doctors, I'm certain it shows, and I'm certain MANY well meaning docs would still try to provide you with good care regardless, but if that's your attitude in general, it's hardly shocking that you receive what you put out into the universe. If you expect poor care, I'm hardly startled that you GET poor care. Your docs probably all dislike you quite as much as you do them.

To the OP: if these are genuine allergy symptoms worrying you enough to post, take the extra step and see a doctor. We are not doctors. We are also NOT ALL anti-doctors, either.

None of my docs, ever, have told me not to vape, and most of them WANT me to continue succeeding at it. You can't do that if you're deaf from an airway obstruction, however.

For shame,

Anna

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
Anna
I've obviously upset you but honestly do you really believe the OP to be at risk of anaphylaxis .
I've heard of many symptoms vapers attribute to their habit. Nowhere have I ever read of anything as alarming as that which you describe .
I am not anti doctor per se however the medical profession has an appalling record of dealing with addiction.
The current health crisis in your own country is largely attributable to doctors poor management of pain medication.
Most doctors would be inclined towards NRT or Chanix and would advise against vaping, certainly if it was causing the patient problems.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this matter.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, I do believe the OP is at risk of anaphylaxis. Do I know that for sure? No. Hence, my recommendation to see a professional.

Statements containing "most" really should be backed up with something besides an opinion. I don't know that "most" doctors do "anything at all." I know about my personal experience with the doctors I have seen, which has been positive. I do make sure that my providers are competent and informed before I select them as providers.

It may be possible that an allergist would recommend stopping vaping, I do not know. However, it was the overall blanket statement about doctors being nothing more than pharm pushers, that put me off.

I've gotten OFF many pharmaceuticals via the use of a doctor's expertise, including replacement with supplements.

But to call the entire medical profession "pharm pushers" is both wrong, and obnoxious. It must also mean you are in very good health and have never taken a medication?

Most doctors are doing what they are trained to do, and that is often inclusive of pharmaceuticals, but not always.

So yes, we must agree to disagree on this matter. I do not believe that most doctors are merely pharm pushers. And, when I was having issues with vaping, I sought the assistance of my doctor who vapes. He was quite helpful. However, I guess I can add that I take the TIME to research medical personnel, and the majority of my docs are quite excellent. They have occasionally made errors, like anyone, but they are overall competent, at the top of their field of study, read research journals and etc. If I can accomplish that in Tucson, Arizona, I believe the same can be accomplished anywhere.

Hives developing rapidly are one of the main signs of a possible airway and anaphylaxes shock reaction, which way I suggested the OP see an allergist. Most allergists MAY recommend avoidance of the offending agent, but some are unavoidable and many allergists will be willing to work out a plan, be it vaping, food, or anything else. They are also capable of testing agents, which may assist the OP in dealing with an allergy elimination attempt in a safer way, and could certainly be able to assist the OP in "excluding" either PG or VG, flavors would be a lot more complicated.

I, personally, over the internet, am not going to take a person's self reported symptoms and ignore their potential severity.

Anna

Reactions: Gratch

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Huh? I'm glad you consider the matter "closed." I was merely responding to all the questions you asked in your "closure" post, like "do you really believe the OP is in danger of anaphylaxis?"

If you've achieved closure, great. :) Hopefully it can be put to rest. I'm quite happy to agree to disagree. But, I believe that I will stop posting on the topic when I feel ready to do so, not based on your closure or lack thereof. etc.

Anna

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
We can't speculate what will or will not help with medical issues.
You need to discuss this with you physician.
Closing this.

as for some of the comments in here..
knock off the personal confrontational posts - you know better than to act like that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread