Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Zeon, my brother had the same problem w/vaping. I got him into vaping and he stuck w/it just long enough to quit smoking, thank god....but really, it was not working for him, and I witnessed him getting more congested and hoarse and his airway was really acting up. He just switched over to nic lozenges and gum, and it worked to keep him off the cigs during that first year when he had to discontinue vaping.

That's all I can tell you, it is anecdotal, but understand there is no ONE way to do anything......even with dieting, everyone has a unique anatomy and pre existing biology and former damages etc. to deal with.

You might head over to the SNUS topic here, see if maybe you can find some other form of Harm REduction, at least if only temporarily.........and then try vaping again a few months from now.

All very true. I had to really work at finding a way to vape that was both enjoyable and tolerable to my asthmatic lungs, and had to accept the fact that at least for now, I require maintenance meds for my asthma. That might change over time, as my lungs continue healing from all the smoke damage, and also as I vape less, as times goes by -- I've cut down a good bit since I've been ill with this stupid sinus infection, and it really hasn't been difficult at all.

To me, what would be optimum would be if I can get to a point where vaping is strictly an optional activity that I enjoy from time to time, but have no "need" to do everyday all the time. Because I do really enjoy it, and I appreciate the cognitive benefits of nicotine... but doing something maybe a few times a week rather than all day everyday would be a real boon to my lungs.

Andria

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Could be that an allergy has developed, to some component of your vape --

Andria, I would in future use the word "sensitivity" rather than allergy.

As you know, as any allergist and/or immunologist will tell you, the signs of "allergy" are usually rather distinct, and involve full on IgE reactions, (as the immune system produces antibodies to a substance) and which are measurable, and usually w/a drop in blood pressure (not an increase) when substance is introduced ---as well as flushing, and perhaps hives or a full blown anaphalyactic shock response. :w00t:

.....and although there are other immunoglobins (IgG and IgA) that can react but are NOT allergies but sensitivities----

-----then there are enzyme deficiencies (like lactose) which are not allergies, either, but deficiencies involving only the *digestive* process and nothing else (and which they are so easy to deal with, like taking lactase or drinking lactose free milk) or taking BEANO before eating beans. :) That person is NOT allergic to diary or beans, in essence but is merely deficient in ability to digest them.

An actual casien allergy ( in milk) is very different than lactose intolerance, as would be actual gluten allergy (celiac) (and for which the best test is an actual biopsy of intestine and is very easy to just ask doctor to include during a routine colonoscopy) and pathology will show that.

All these people walking around in my town, never tested, telling me they have "gluten allergy" and they don't but it sure is making a LOT of money for the food industry in terms of higher priced gluten free products. :)

"sensitivities" can never be proven scientifically, since an actual true allergenic reaction doesn't actually occur......but we can discover those ourselves thru oral challenges (or in this case, inhalation challenges) based on maybe keeping a journal about "how it makes you feel".

With all the magazine articles coming out the word "allergy" is becoming very over-used :sneaky:

All this said, "chest tightening" is an actual felt response, could indicate some kind of inflammatory response or irritation.......so I pay attention to those things.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Andria, I would in future use the word "sensitivity" rather than allergy.

As you know, as any allergist and/or immunologist will tell you, the signs of "allergy" are usually rather distinct, and involve full on IgE reactions, (as the immune system produces antibodies to a substance) and which are measurable, and usually w/a drop in blood pressure (not an increase) when substance is introduced ---as well as flushing, and perhaps hives or a full blown anaphalyactic shock response. :w00t:

.....and although there are other immunoglobins (IgG and IgA) that can react but are NOT allergies but sensitivities----

-----then there are enzyme deficiencies (like lactose) which are not allergies, either, but deficiencies involving only the *digestive* process and nothing else (and which they are so easy to deal with, like taking lactase or drinking lactose free milk) or taking BEANO before eating beans. :) That person is NOT allergic to diary or beans, in essence but is merely deficient in ability to digest them.

An actual casien allergy ( in milk) is very different than lactose intolerance, as would be actual gluten allergy (celiac) (and for which the best test is an actual biopsy of intestine and is very easy to just ask doctor to include during a routine colonoscopy) and pathology will show that.

All these people walking around in my town, never tested, telling me they have "gluten allergy" and they don't but it sure is making a LOT of money for the food industry in terms of higher priced gluten free products. :)

"sensitivities" can never be proven scientifically, since an actual true allergenic reaction doesn't actually occur......but we can discover those ourselves thru oral challenges (or in this case, inhalation challenges) based on maybe keeping a journal about "how it makes you feel".

With all the magazine articles coming out the word "allergy" is becoming very over-used :sneaky:

All this said, "chest tightening" is an actual felt response, could indicate some kind of inflammatory response or irritation.......so I pay attention to those things.

Very true; I have some typical "hay fever" type allergies to various grasses, to cats (which I've determined is actually an allergy to the detergent in their saliva -- some bath soaps break me out badly), and then penicillin, which gives me hives, which I think is only a short step from true anaphylaxis. But then I have a weird sensitivity to tomatoes -- apparently if one has slow digestion, tomatoes can cause a MASSIVE buildup of gas, causing all sorts of uncomfortable digestive problems -- but it's not really an allergy, just an artifact of my slow digestion.

All these gluten-free people give me a pain -- gluten is actually necessary for proper digestion of grains, UNLESS one has that particular affliction.

And very true about the "chest tightening" feeling; too much VG, to me, gives me the feeling that something in my lungs needs to come out, but I can't make it come out, like a hairball or something. I think it just builds up a thick coating and since I'm very sensitive and aware of my lungs at all times, thanks to my asthma, I notice it and it bothers me. And it makes me wheeze more, never a good thing for an asthmatic. But I know for a fact that I'm not allergic to glycerin; I found glycerin soap very helpful in my fight against acne, it actually calmed my skin down quite a bit.

Andria

Zeon

Aug 2, 2015
The thing is I've been vaping for 2 years and it's been fine (more like 3, actually). Only when I switched to a box mod did I start getting symptoms. I haven't vaped in 2 weeks (except an occasional toke once every few days) or used any other form of nicotine. I still wish I could vape though. Snus is really expensive for me to get, I have tried it though and I really like it.

Updates: I have just tried 0mg nicotine. Same symptoms. I am no longer inhaling, rather I just let it linger in my mouth. Same symptoms. I really have no idea what's going on.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
What about the coil metal? You said this started when you switched to the box mod. I know it's a controversial topic, but are you now using a nickel coil but not before?

[This is my first post, so hello everyone]

Hello, chi, nice of you to jump right in and help :):)

Reactions: chi1221

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The thing is I've been vaping for 2 years and it's been fine (more like 3, actually). Only when I switched to a box mod did I start getting symptoms. I haven't vaped in 2 weeks (except an occasional toke once every few days) or used any other form of nicotine. I still wish I could vape though. Snus is really expensive for me to get, I have tried it though and I really like it.

Updates: I have just tried 0mg nicotine. Same symptoms. I am no longer inhaling, rather I just let it linger in my mouth. Same symptoms. I really have no idea what's going on.

There seems to be your clue

gwapes6

Account closed on request
Aug 12, 2015
My god...If you have tightness in your chest after inhaling stuff into your lungs it's probably not your heart dude. Tightness in the chest and SOB are all signs of respiratory distress. Anything other than Oxygen is an irritant to the soft tissues of our lungs. They are designed to handle most free radicals in the air but anything else is causing some slight inflammation. Your lungs are probably becomming hyper sensitive to the vapor after being irritated for so long. Stop vaping immediately and get a pulmonary function test. If you have fusion problems or reduced FVC (forced vital capacity) then your lungs are damaged. Don't be an idiot and ignore the symptoms like I did. I lost over 50% of my lung function that I can never get back. See a lung doc ASAP

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
To actually diagnose "bronchial asthma", there needs to be a blood gas test using arterial blood, and then, there is another test they give which is really a dead giveaway -- they hand you an inhaler to inhale from, and if you actually have bronchial asthma, it will induce an immediate asthma attack -- I suspect it's aerosolized sulfites. Then they hand you another inhaler which is a bronchodilator, and if that causes the attack to ease, then it's certain: bronchial asthma. They cannot diagnose "bronchial asthma" just from looking at you and listening to your chest.

But you can give yourself the "sulfite challenge" if you're brave enough -- eat some "instant potatoes", made from the dehydrated potatoes -- they're LOADED with sulfites so they stay white, and if you have bronchial asthma, sulfites will ALWAYS bring on an asthma attack. Dehydrated bananas will also work, they're usually color-preserved with sulfites too. If sulfites don't bring on an asthma attack, then you don't have asthma.

Andria

Reactions: Nimaz

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I discovered that vaping made my own asthma worse; although I used nothing but a rescue inhaler (Ventolin) for many years as a smoker, I was forced to add Advair to my regimen.

I've since discovered that just vaping a little less frequently does wonders for my asthma. I've always been a tootle puffer and always will be, but even that conservative style of vaping exposes the lungs to warm moisture, and muggy summer days always played hell with my asthma. So now, if it's bothering me, I just slack off vaping a little.

Andria

Reactions: Nimaz

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I discovered that vaping made my own asthma worse; although I used nothing but a rescue inhaler (Ventolin) for many years as a smoker, I was forced to add Advair to my regimen.

I've since discovered that just vaping a little less frequently does wonders for my asthma. I've always been a tootle puffer and always will be, but even that conservative style of vaping exposes the lungs to warm moisture, and muggy summer days always played hell with my asthma. So now, if it's bothering me, I just slack off vaping a little.

Andria

I hear you! I don't have asthma but my 8 years young son is on the same regimen. Useless to tell you the frequent trips to ICU before this treatment was prescribed to him... Ventolin for crisis and Symbicort (same as Advair) twice daily. He's doing great and the best part is that he's not exposed to 2nd hand smoke anymore.

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread