Should I go rebuildable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    ^^-- that's tiny compared to the giant alien clapton furry boa wires, but about twice times dual of what I'm using only one of (8.5 wraps 5/64"/1.98mm 28 ga.). But at 4-8x my power that doesn't break the sanity check, so I can only guess your definition of mouth to lung is as creative as my definition of direct lung ... of course draw techniques don't so easily fit definitions. I think some smaller coil arrangement could be tried in almost anything, anyway.

What I recommend is finding one's preferred airflow and vapor temperature, this can be done partially at least with a somewhat nonideal or excessive coil and power supply. Then hone in on one's exact vape by optimizing the coil etc. and changing power source if needed.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    You will be surprised by the increase in flavor.

Innokin is about to release a 100 watt Cool Fire 4, it can be pre-ordered now for a little over $40. It would be the perfect device to run the aromizer, and you would have the old CF4 to use for your new kayfun.

That's good news, thank you! I'm not loving the ergonomics of the CF4 - the sharp-ish edges along the button side don't feel comfortable in my hand, especially as much as I handle it - but the build quality and value seem to be there so I'm living with it. The 100 watt version looks very nice. I don't expect it'll be any more comfortable, but would get me into a 100W unit at a great price without having to go the more expensive mod/batteries/charger route. I've only found one place accepting pre-orders so far, http://www.efun.top/innokin-coolfire-4-100w-tc-box-mod.html. Would you recommend a different vendor?

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    I didn't do the 30 strand flavor wick as instructed in the link posted previously, Just the 15 doubled over thru the coil. My experience with flavor wick is that they swell or get drawn towards the chimney and interrupt air flow exactly as you describe in your OP.

That's interesting, Foggy, thank you. I'll definitely try it with and without the flavor wick but if that's what tends to obstruct the airflow and I can still get a decent hit without it, I'll probably do it as you described and leave it off.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    I find it odd that dripping is seen as too much trouble. Some time it is trouble, but for example sitting around watching TV it's just enough activity.

Vaping has been about flavor and sensation for me ever since I first tried refilling a disposable ecig with mint chocolate. Some of my taste came back and now I use and taste some very subtle blends.

Thanks for your post! I tend to make snap judgments based on too-little information, so I expect dripping isn't the PITA I think it will be. When I started vaping at my buddy's suggestion a few years ago, he was dripping, and when I asked about it, he described it as needing to add a few drops of juice every few hits. Since I more or less chain-vape and have no experience dripping, I envision myself having to disassemble my atomizer every ten minutes to add more juice, which doesn't seem ideal, especially if I expect to ever get anything else done beyond tending to my atomizer.

The Aromamizer Supreme that I ordered has a dripping option, I think, and I do intend to give it a bash. Being able to actually taste these flavors would add a whole new dimension to the experience for me, so who knows? I may find that dripping isn't the hassle I think it'll be, and/or I may find that the flavor makes the hassle worthwhile!

Scy123

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    The Aromamizer Supreme that I ordered has a dripping option, I think, and I do intend to give it a bash. Being able to actually taste these flavors would add a whole new dimension to the experience for me, so who knows? I may find that dripping isn't the hassle I think it'll be, and/or I may find that the flavor makes the hassle worthwhile!

It does not have a dripping option. They just say it is a rdta cause it hits like a dripper. I don't actually use dripper so I can't say weather this claim is true or not.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    It does not have a dripping option. They just say it is a rdta cause it hits like a dripper. I don't actually use dripper so I can't say weather this claim is true or not.
    Hitting like a dripper doesn't really say much, IMO. Many, many different kinds of drippers that hit very differently.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Scy123

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    I don't use drippers, but when I think of one I think of high wattage capable device (among other things). I've been able to get more watts out of the Supreme then any of my others tanks and some people claim they could get up to 200w. I tried but failed miserably. So at least that part is true.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Fluid Vapes just restocked on the Stainless Steel KFL+v2 clone by EHPro. (They have other colors, too, but the SS always sells out first.) $4.99 +shipping for a known great version, shipped from the US (that's where I bought the 2 that I paid for, shipping was fast and cheap) and at least as good if not better than anything you're likely to get from FT:

My EHPro KFL+v2 clones arrived Tuesday, I built the first one yesterday morning and have been hitting it ever since. It's great, a huge improvement over the clearos I was using, and at $5 a pop they only cost a buck more. Wrapping and installing the coil was a piece of cake and since I didn't want to wait for an order to arrive, I went ahead and wicked it with drug store cotton.

I have Kanthal and organic cotton on order, so I'll be able to play around a little more with coil builds and wicking when that stuff gets here.

Great recommendation... thanks again!

javyn

ECF Veteran
    Jul 22, 2010
    houston
    There is an entire world of aftermarket Kayfun parts you can explore on Fasttech. Bell caps, slam caps, top fill caps, chambers, chimneys, bases with varying air flows...it's fun :)

I've never bought a Kayfun but have several I hobbled together from parts I've accumulated.

Also I'd consider a Kayfill tool, so you can get to your coil w/o having to dump juice.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    There is an entire world of aftermarket Kayfun parts you can explore on Fasttech. Bell caps, slam caps, top fill caps, chambers, chimneys, bases with varying air flows...it's fun :)

I've never bought a Kayfun but have several I hobbled together from parts I've accumulated.

Also I'd consider a Kayfill tool, so you can get to your coil w/o having to dump juice.

Good to know, javyn, thank you. I'm not loving the SS mouthpiece so I'm going to pick up some plastic drip tips that won't collect so much lip gunk, and I'll check out those aftermarket parts while I'm at it. The Kayfil looks helpful, too!

You should be asking, why shoud you not go rebuildable? More taste, stronger nic hit. If you don't want to deal with the complications of tank, I suggest you give RDA (Dripper) a try.

Agreed. I'm getting a great vape from my new rebuildable!

javyn

ECF Veteran
    Jul 22, 2010
    houston

javyn

ECF Veteran
    Jul 22, 2010
    houston
    Hey cmayo, I got my slam caps in the other day and really like them.

Makes filling and getting to your coil so much easier on a Kayfun.

AfuGenv.jpg

GURCc6p.jpg

uMxSxQE.jpg

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States

Hey cmayo, I got my slam caps in the other day and really like them.

Makes filling and getting to your coil so much easier on a Kayfun.

AfuGenv.jpg

GURCc6p.jpg

uMxSxQE.jpg

Thanks for the update, javyn. I hoped that by the time I became interested in modifying my Kayfuns, I'd have picked up enough experience and jargon to know what all these accessories were that you mentioned, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

So... what are bell caps and slam caps, and why might I want them?

Jminton1985

Verified Member
    May 11, 2016
    Jacksonville Fl
    So... I now have the Aromamizer Supreme on order, plus two Kayfun Lite+ V2 clones (based on other members' suggestions) and another member has offered to give me some off-list help rebuilding my Kanger coils, all of which should give me a much broader sense of which direction I want to go in the future.

That Aromamizer Supreme is one nice looking tank. I drip and really enjoy building. Heck, I am even looking to trade my Thoerum tank for one of those because it looks so nice. :)

Jminton1985

Verified Member
    May 11, 2016
    Jacksonville Fl
    I'm at 6% nicotine now and really don't care if I have any at all, as long as I still get a throat hit, but I'll try my 6% with the Aromamizer. I started at 32% so I can probably tolerate a higher nicotine content. Good thought on making my own liquid. I've only found one local shop whose liquid doesn't suck so I've been playing it safe with them since I started vaping, but one of my sons is mixing his own and his mix tastes fine, so I may have to query him about what he's doing. I'd be kind of okay upping my mod, but haven't found found a battery or box mod yet that didn't crater after half a year, so I'm hesitant to get into anything much more expensive than the $40 40W battery I'm using now, since I wind up having to throw the darned things away after a few months.

Great info, thank you! I have two SS Kayfun clones on order, so I imagine I'll be unintentionally drop-testing one of those guys before too long.
    With all the FDA crap going on and the price of juices going up, I have recently begun to DIY my own. I'm new at it, but after doing about 30 hours of research, I understand what's going on with it. I'd be happy to lend my brain to you if you decide to go that route. I am finding it to be very rewarding, and honestly I dont think I will be buying more store-bought juice. I can make things that are just as good if not better right here on my computer desk.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    That Aromamizer Supreme is one nice looking tank. I drip and really enjoy building. Heck, I am even looking to trade my Thoerum tank for one of those because it looks so nice. :)

I've tried the Aromamizer Supreme a couple times and it's a beautiful tank, but it isn't right for me so I'll probably get rid of it at some point. I checked out the Theorum and it's a great looking tank too, but I'm only experimenting with more traditional tanks and coils at the moment.

With all the FDA crap going on and the price of juices going up, I have recently begun to DIY my own. I'm new at it, but after doing about 30 hours of research, I understand what's going on with it. I'd be happy to lend my brain to you if you decide to go that route. I am finding it to be very rewarding, and honestly I dont think I will be buying more store-bought juice. I can make things that are just as good if not better right here on my computer desk.

I appreciate that, thank you. Since my original post, I've picked up some equipment and supplies and have been vaping my own mixes for around three weeks. I've found a couple flavors that I really enjoy and like you, doubt I'll be returning to pre-made juices.

javyn

ECF Veteran
    Jul 22, 2010
    houston
    Thanks for the update, javyn. I hoped that by the time I became interested in modifying my Kayfuns, I'd have picked up enough experience and jargon to know what all these accessories were that you mentioned, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

So... what are bell caps and slam caps, and why might I want them?

Bell caps are just replacement caps in case your plastic ones break or you want to change things up with different colors.

The "slam caps" that I just posted pics of are a bit different though. Notice how I took the cap off to expose my coil, but my juice is still in there. No filling tool needed, no need to fill from the bottom...just unscrew that cap and wallah, fill it like a Kanger Protank.

Tradeoff is less capacity, but, it's so easy to fill now I don't even care.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread