Newb looking for coil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
First things first I am not looking to buy any new equipment right now, just need advice on how to maximize the efficiency of what I already have. That being said, I am using fixed 40w (jomotech lite 40s) mod. For several reasons I hated the tank that came with it; bottom fill design, leaking issues, poor flavor and inconsistent performance in general. I did a little (but not enough) research and found a few different atomizers that I thought would work with my fixed 40w box. The choice of the Digiflavor Espresso 22 was almost completely on impulse and mostly based on price, including shipping, it only cost me $6.95, though it was on the list that I was considering. I was not specifically looking for any type of rebuildable (wether it be RTA, RDA, RBA, GENESIS or just rebuildable atomizer heads) although I realize that the ability to rebuild is more cost effective in the long run. I did like the fact that this atomizer came with coils that are easily re-wicked, and supposedly easily rebuilt as well, though I can't find any information on rebuilding them. For the most part all I can find anywhere, are a lot of people saying that they would not recommend this type of atomizer for a beginners first rebuild due to the complexity of the coil type. However, though I am new to vaping in general and also new to coil and atomizer rebuilding, I would not consider myself a beginner in building. I am a DIYer in everything I can do myself, I am the queen of improvising, and I love to make and build things (sometimes out of nothing, or whatever I happen to have lying around) So, my mod runs the 0.4 ohm coils okay (0.2 ohm won't fire at all) Battery specs are as follows. Input: 4.2V Wattage: 40w. Capacity: 2200mah . Resistance: 0.35 ohm - 1.0 ohm. (recommended, and also stock in the atty it came with, 0.5 ohm coils). My main reason for replacing the tank/atomizer, was for higher efficiency and longer coil life. Plus, I was burning through my juice like crazy, and hated the bottom fill design.
So, I got this "first ever rebuildable Genesis sub-ohm atomizer" knowing that first often means out dated, and the price was a clue to that as well. The ability to re-wick the coils, will help to extend their life, but I would also like to learn how to rebuild. Just how rebuildable this tank is, I am not sure, but the info claims every part of the tank can be disassembled and rebuilt. What I want (need) to know is this: When rebuilding a stock, prebuilt coil head, how much can I customize it? Do I necessarily have to use the GVC type coils, in the Clapton style, or can I change it up some? And finally, what type of coil build will work best with fixed 40w, resistance range from 0.35ohm - to 1.0 ohm? Keep in mind that the main thing I am interested in achieving, is increasing coil life and efficiency, thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have to share on this subject.

Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @CurlyLioness, may I ask if you may consider upgrading your vaping gear?

As it seems that the coils for the Espresso 22 are rewickable, not rebuildable.

As I think Squonking (it's where you use a mod with a liquid feed bottle to force liquid up into an RDA with a Squonk pin instead of dripping liquid into the RDA) may be of some interest to you. Plus RDA's are easier and more forgiving to work with than RTA's.

Fasttech has some decent prices on Dovpo Topside Squonker and Thunderhead Creations Tauren SOLO (use MAP code at checkout for price reduction), the SOLO is a single coil RDA that's pretty easy to use and gives good flavour as well.

And, it's just an idea that I'm putting out there.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Mordacai, OP has another thread essentially asking the same questions here: Beginner help for Genesis atomizer rebuild.

I have the same thoughts as yourself. It appears that the coils for the Espresso 22 are rewickable, but not rebuildable. I based that on the below video:

It may be possible to extend the life of the coil (after first removing the old wick material) by dry burning the coil clean, and then rinsing clean and re-wicking. One might get up to several months use out of one coil doing this. But there will come a point in time when the coil will need to be discarded and replaced.

Last edited:

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019

As I think Squonking (it's where you use a mod with a liquid feed bottle to force liquid up into an RDA with a Squonk pin instead of dripping liquid into the RDA) may be of some interest to you. Plus RDA's are easier and more forgiving to work with than RTA's.

Fasttech has some decent prices on Dovpo Topside Squonker and Thunderhead Creations Tauren SOLO (use MAP code at checkout for price reduction), the SOLO is a single coil RDA that's pretty easy to use and gives good flavour as well.

And, it's just an idea that I'm putting out there.
As I said at the beginning of my post, at this time I am not looking to buy any new equipment, my budget is just too tight for that. According to the information provided on Digiflavor's website, the coil heads are rebuildable not just rewickable. Also from some of the research I've been doing online, it seems that many of the stock coil heads, though they may not claim to be, are rebuildable. I also watched the above video review, and just because he doesn't say so, doesn't mean they aren't.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As I said at the beginning of my post, at this time I am not looking to buy any new equipment, my budget is just too tight for that. According to the information provided on Digiflavor's website, the coil heads are rebuildable not just rewickable. Also from some of the research I've been doing online, it seems that many of the stock coil heads, though they may not claim to be, are rebuildable. I also watched the above video review, and just because he doesn't say so, doesn't mean they aren't.
Believe what you want, but vaping shouldn't be that difficult. I went to the Digiflavor website and looked at the Esspreso product page. They do advertise the Esspreso as a rebuildable tank. However, their illustrations appears to show two versions of a drop in replacement coil. Not sure how you're going to get a new wire coil into that coil head. Sure you can easily replace the wick, and that's great, but good luck replacing the coil. The illustration appears to show that the coil head can be twisted apart to replace the coil, but I didn't see any replacement coils offered for sale on the website.

Espresso22-two-coils-available.jpg

Digiflavor-Espresso22-two-different-coils-details.jpg

As I said earlier, you'll probably be able to extend the life of the coil by dry burning it, but at some point you will have to replace the entire coil head.

You might gain some useful info by downloading the Digiflavor Product Information Owners Manual for your Esspreso 22 tank.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@CurlyLioness, if you read very carefully the information on the GBC coils it does say that they are easy to rebuild, and the cotton or wicking is replaceable for longer lifespan. But it does not say anywhere that GBC coils can be recoiled.

Espresso 22 - Digiflavor

It's one of those things where the devil is in the details. As rewickable and rebuildable are two very different things.

• Agree
Reactions: MacTechVpr

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
The coil head does come apart much more than what is shown in the illustration, and ALMOST any coil head can be rebuilt if it can be taken apart. I have "re-coiled" a disposable e-cig coil head. This one I did with the coil from another of the same e-cig because the threads were stripped one and the ends of the wire broke on the other one. All you naysayers just challenge me. Like I also said in my original post I am the Queen of improvising, and I often build things from whatever I have lying around. Now, I understand, there is a science and safety issues involved in coil building, which I will pay close attention to while I'm proving you wrong. Tell me I can't do something and watch me succeed, if it can come apart it can be rebuilt. And those coil heads aren't as small as they look in the picture.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Baditude

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
@CurlyLioness, if you read very carefully the information on the GBC coils it does say that they are easy to rebuild, and the cotton or wicking is replaceable for longer lifespan. But it does not say anywhere that GBC coils can be recoiled.

Espresso 22 - Digiflavor

It's one of those things where the devil is in the details. As rewickable and rebuildable are two very different things.

Yes, because for them "rebuild" is using their drop in coil.

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The coil head does come apart much more than what is shown in the illustration, and ALMOST any coil head can be rebuilt if it can be taken apart. I have "re-coiled" a disposable e-cig coil head. This one I did with the coil from another of the same e-cig because the threads were stripped one and the ends of the wire broke on the other one. All you naysayers just challenge me. Like I also said in my original post I am the Queen of improvising, and I often build things from whatever I have lying around. Now, I understand, there is a science and safety issues involved in coil building, which I will pay close attention to while I'm proving you wrong. Tell me I can't do something and watch me succeed, if it can come apart it can be rebuilt. And those coil heads aren't as small as they look in the picture.

A million coil, wire, material alt's out there. But 30-secs can get you vape bliss…a precise targeted resistance, each and every time…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Keywords: mactechvpr, pin vise, sticky, oxidation

Good luck. :)

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019

Espresso 22 - Digiflavor

First off, you're telling me to read very carefully, but it's GVC, not GBC. Second: if it can be taken apart, and the coil can be removed from the atomizer head, then another one can be put in there.

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
And yes, it does come apart, with little effort.
vyQ15EfM7HwuCY8d7

There is also a unique design aspect to this coil head design which IMO will make it easier to recoil, rather than both leads coming out through the bottom (which I found to be a pain in the rear when I rebuilt the e cig coil head, fighting to keep one inside the rubber o-ring and the other on the outside while I pushed it into place) This head has notches on either end of the main body, one lead near the top, the other near the bottom, the then pieces with the threads on either end snap on to hold them into place. Then you just pop the small bottom "cap" into place, re-wick (which I suppose could be done prior to re-assemling the ends) then install the coil as usual and you're done. Now, I just gotta read up on building coils, figure out what wire I want to use. I already downloaded the Ohm's Law calculator, and another app Micro-coil calculator, to help me figure out the math/science of it all. I do need to get my hands on an Ohm meter, but I think I can improvise the tools and maybe even come up with my own jig. I will let ya'll know (Optimist and Pessimist alike) when I have completed my rebuild of this non-rebuildable atomizer head. Unless of course, I blow myself up, LOL. JK, I won't blow myself up.

Reactions: Falconeer

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
Falconeer,
Of course, safety first, always. I just know this...#1-rebuildable or not, if a company wants to sell you their prebuilt coils (and of course they do) they are not going to the ones to tell you how to recoil them. #2- this coil head seems to have been designed to be easily taken apart and put back together, which tells me it was meant to be rebuildable. Now wether or not they meant for it to be rebuilt using premade coils from their company (which are available if you know where to look) or by wrapping your own seems irrelevant to me. If it can be rebuilt, it can be customized and improved upon. After all all, the coil head itself is just a housing for a coil and basically, except for a few minor differences in how they're put together, stock prebuilt heads are pretty much all the same. I do like Mac's idea on the micro coils, I know I'm definitely not going to try anything as advanced as Genesis Clapton coils. I definitely agree with Mord's K. I. S. S. Philosophy, and though the top coil build tends to be a fight with gravity, this design has solved that issue by putting 4 holes under the wick and slots around sides of the base. It also has two large oblong openings on either side of the coil itself. I have had absolutely no issue with slow wicking, in fact it's quite the opposite, the wick soaks up so much juice... Last night I Vaped on it for a good 20 draws when my tank appeared to be empty, and when I opened it up to refill it, the wick was still saturated.
A lot of reviews giving this tank a bad rap, but I'm not getting it. I have had absolutely no leakage issues, the coils wick amazingly, the flavor and clouds are huge and it's easy to refill and childproof. The only reason I really want to wind my own coils for it is because I think the 0.4 ohm clapton is just drawing too much from my fixed 40w 2200mah battery, and I think it would do better with a 0.5 or 0.6 ohm coil. I could be wrong or I could just make something amazing, but you never know until you try. Anyway, I'm halfway there, I got the coil head apart. Now I just need to figure out the calculations for the best performance and SAFETY, get some coil building materials (resistance wire and an ohm meter are about all I need, I got plenty of wick with the tank) and I will let you know how it turns out.

Reactions: Falconeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread