Single Coil Serpent RDTA by Wotofo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
IMG_0323.JPG
It's here! SS 316 28g*2/38g Fused Clapton, 3.5mm i.d., .59 ohms with my Merlin driptip

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Looks excellent on the Minikin! :thumbs:

Well, how is it? :D
It was a big pain to build, those clamps grrr... so far the flavors ok I unfortunately don't think it's any better than my other atties. Everyone says the flavors great. I have my coils as low as I can get it. Any tips?

Gallant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    It was a big pain to build, those clamps grrr... so far the flavors ok I unfortunately don't think it's any better than my other atties. Everyone says the flavors great. I have my coils as low as I can get it. Any tips?
    Told you in the other thread
    Anyways try something different like lifting your coil a little higher

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I run a 3mm coil in mine, and have it around 2mm above the airhole.
    I like the clamps, easy to get the wire trapped under them and to center the coil afterwards. The screws could be a little beefier though.

Keep your coil legs on the bottom side, clamp one leg then pull the other leg snug and clamp it down. You can then straighten and lift the coil before you trim the leg ends. Also easy enough to loosen one clamp if you snugged the coil up a little too tight.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I run a 3mm coil in mine, and have it around 2mm above the airhole.
    I like the clamps, easy to get the wire trapped under them and to center the coil afterwards. The screws could be a little beefier though.

Keep your coil legs on the bottom side, clamp one leg then pull the other leg snug and clamp it down. You can then straighten and lift the coil before you trim the leg ends. Also easy enough to loosen one clamp if you snugged the coil up a little too tight.
    The flavor is better now, maybe my rayon wick just needed a little time. I will try what u said next time I rebuild it. Thanks!

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I just got one of these yesterday and threw in a quick 2x26+36 316L Fused Clapton build @ .6 ohms. Flavor is excellent! It is wicking beautifully on the first try and hasn't leaked at all with 3 tanks through it. I think I have the coil a little too high though. I'm getting a little spitback. I am very happy with it. I really hope they release a 25 mm version with a little more airflow. That would be the perfect RDTA for me.

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I readjusted my coils lower and added more wick inside the coil. Spitting and popping is gone and the flavor is fantastic. I thinned out the tails and gently tuck them in to the juice holes. They only go a mm or 2 into the tank. I've been running it at 40 watts with a 25% 1 second preheat boost on the Cuboid Mini with Arctic Fox FW. No dry hits at all.

2GLR

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 1, 2012
    Cedar Rapids
    Can any of you that have a hop n vape kof make a comparison with the serpent?
    Just got in the KOF. 6 wraps 26 ga twisted clapton running at 50 watts. Wicking perfectly. Flavor is awesome. Cloud production is about the same as the serpent.
    I threw away my first serpent rdta. After reading the reviews, got another one to try some other wicking methods. Today I will put in a box in a closet, and try to forget I ever bought 2 of them.

On the other hand, some how I have gone through 2 tanks on the KOF in 8 hours.

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    id like to hear from a KOF owner the same, the serpent is great bang for its buck but technically lacks flavor in certain departments. My o-genny which i just sold craps all over it in terms of flavor. I like the easy build deck but have experienced some ohm fluctuations in TC. I fixed the problem for the most part by really wrenching on the 510 screw enough not to break glass but stay steady. I will use this as everyday driver because it does provide good flavor and i dont have to baby it like my other genny. I have to award wotofo with the best air displacement to keep the coils wicked, and the two grommet slots for filling, which self seal with the top cap (seems like others should have done this). For a genesis ato, you want the juice not to form air bubbles which can trap the juice. Cant go wrong with this for 20 bucks. my rant is done lol )

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    I've been looking to try a genesis-style RDTA that can do a flavorful, loose MTL and came upon this thread. Some of you have done some relatively simple, innovative modifications to the Serpent Mini to get the airflow down to acceptable MTL levels.

I just came across a method in another forum and just thought I'd share:

Serpent Mini MTL

Reactions: TrollDragon

2GLR

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 1, 2012
    Cedar Rapids
    id like to hear from a KOF owner the same, the serpent is great bang for its buck but technically lacks flavor in certain departments. My o-genny which i just sold craps all over it in terms of flavor. I like the easy build deck but have experienced some ohm fluctuations in TC. I fixed the problem for the most part by really wrenching on the 510 screw enough not to break glass but stay steady. I will use this as everyday driver because it does provide good flavor and i dont have to baby it like my other genny. I have to award wotofo with the best air displacement to keep the coils wicked, and the two grommet slots for filling, which self seal with the top cap (seems like others should have done this). For a genesis ato, you want the juice not to form air bubbles which can trap the juice. Cant go wrong with this for 20 bucks. my rant is done lol )
    5 days and the KOF is producing great flavor. A slight turn on the top cap to block the side air flow and it is pretty dang close to an MTL.
    Only one complaint. The fill plug can be difficult to pull out for a guy who bites his nails.

Garmonbozia

May 4, 2013
    Turkey
    Am I the only one who suffers from leakage? It leaks like hell through air flow hole. I tried 3 different coil types (clapton and alien clapton with 3 mm ID, regular micro coil with 2,5 mm ID) with different amount/length of cotton but result is same. I think condensed liquid fills into air flow hole from under the coil and also seeps between top cap and base since there is no o-ring. Any suggestion?

Edit: I checked the AF hole which under the coil and it seems liquid can not be seep into this hole easily since there is a little wall round the circumference of hole.

Last edited:

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Am I the only one who suffers from leakage? It leaks like hell through air flow hole. I tried 3 different coil types (clapton and alien clapton with 3 mm ID, regular micro coil with 2,5 mm ID) with different amount/length of cotton but result is same. I think condensed liquid fills into air flow hole from under the coil and also seeps between top cap and base since there is no o-ring. Any suggestion?

Edit: I checked the AF hole which under the coil and it seems liquid can not be seep into this hole easily since there is a little wall round the circumference of hole.

Not sure if you checked, but make sure that your cotton is not touching the airflow hole at all.

Reactions: TrollDragon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread