SMOK RTA and RDTA question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
Hi everyone, I have recently bought smok G2, G4 and TF-RDTA. They all seem to leak from air inlets. No matter ho tightly I wick them (and I have stuffed them to the gills) seems like they all end up leaking badly from air inlets, and I mean leak as in a giant puddle on the counter. Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks for ideas and suggestions.
20160712_111508.jpg

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I know on my TFV4 deck, you don't want to "stuff it to the gills", it doesn't like that at all. I use a Scottish Roll wick, but I trim it down so the juice channel is full, but not stuffed tightly. You might try trimming them down a bit. Mine will still leak if it is on it's side for while but when it is standing, it rarely leaks.

P4cu4c9l.jpg

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
I know on my TFV4 deck, you don't want to "stuff it to the gills", it doesn't like that at all. I use a Scottish Roll wick, but I trim it down so the juice channel is full, but not stuffed tightly. You might try trimming them down a bit. Mine will still leak if it is on it's side for while but when it is standing, it rarely leaks.

P4cu4c9l.jpg
I have done light wicking as well, its always upright, still leaks terribly.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Perhaps the wattage needs to be higher and you are sucking in more juice than it can vaporize.
I run my TF-RDTA at 75 watts which is still pretty low for the tank. Put cotton threw the coil and down through the wick holes and fluff the cotton underneath. Mine lever leaks nor does my TFV4 with stock coils. When I use rebuildable heads in TFV4 they are good for a couples tankfuls then start to leak so I change out the cotton after two tankfuls. CHEERS!

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
Perhaps the wattage needs to be higher and you are sucking in more juice than it can vaporize.
I run my TF-RDTA at 75 watts which is still pretty low for the tank. Put cotton threw the coil and down through the wick holes and fluff the cotton underneath. Mine lever leaks nor does my TFV4 with stock coils. When I use rebuildable heads in TFV4 they are good for a couples tankfuls then start to leak so I change out the cotton after two tankfuls. CHEERS!
The problem is that I have many other RDTAs and RTA's and none of them leak at whatever wattage I use. I am actually a coil builder, have been doing this for a very long time, so I dont suspect this to be a common error on my part. Thanks for the answer though.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
I'm vaping my smok TF-RDTA at the moment. Love this tank, but the O-rings seem crappy. Whenever i unscrew the tank the top O-ring is like glued to the top of the glass and i have to peel it off. It's like it melted on and had to replace it. Didn't over tighten and it also happened to the second one. I literally had to peel the rubber remains of the O-ring off the top part of the glass. Now that i think about it it might actually be the glass causing it. Like it's not smooth. Maybe i should use the repleacement tank and see what happens. I made the mistake lastnight when making new coils trying a 4mm dual clapton build (spaced) I am an idiot and got the whole build together then went to put the chimeny part back on and.. lol it wouldnt fit. I got so ....... I just took the coils out and made them into 2.5 ID. I haven't used this tank in a while i forgot you breally can't go that big spaced without the coils hitting the inside of the shimney. I was messing around with it from 6 pm until 10 pm lol longest recoiling/wick job ever.

I would get that leaking issue too. when i wick it i like to use scottish roll and I cut the tails at an angle , push them over the holes, then i fluff up the top of the tails so it's not all over the hole. Like how Quest4vape wicks his tanks.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
I'm vaping my smok TF-RDTA at the moment. Love this tank, but the O-rings seem crappy. Whenever i unscrew the tank the top O-ring is like glued to the top of the glass and i have to peel it off. It's like it melted on and had to replace it. Didn't over tighten and it also happened to the second one. I literally had to peel the rubber remains of the O-ring off the top part of the glass. Now that i think about it it might actually be the glass causing it. Like it's not smooth. Maybe i should use the repleacement tank and see what happens. I made the mistake lastnight when making new coils trying a 4mm dual clapton build (spaced) I am an idiot and got the whole build together then went to put the chimeny part back on and.. lol it wouldnt fit. I got so ....... I just took the coils out and made them into 2.5 ID. I haven't used this tank in a while i forgot you breally can't go that big spaced without the coils hitting the inside of the shimney. I was messing around with it from 6 pm until 10 pm lol longest recoiling/wick job ever.

I would get that leaking issue too. when i wick it i like to use scottish roll and I cut the tails at an angle , push them over the holes, then i fluff up the top of the tails so it's not all over the hole. Like how Quest4vape wicks his tanks.
This is how mine is wicked, I doubt that this would cause an issue. Or make it flood so badly, something else is going on. thanks for the post Ill try something else or throw them away.

20160712_020006.jpg

Reactions: chazz80

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Yea. Thats how i use to wick mine. Looks like way too much cotton blocking the wick holes. I like to unscrew the deck from the base a poke a needle if i have that much cotton in the holes, if i overstuff it, this way juice has a chance to get absorbed up. Looks like that much cotton might be blocking the juice from absorbing up into the coil and is forming a block and just causing the juice to leak out the sides cause it's trapped and has no where to go. I like to just place the wick over the holes, turn the build deck upside down and take a needle and also just fluff the cotton so that little strands on coming out the holes. A little cotton goes a long way on the tails on this tank i've learned.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
Yea. Thats how i use to wick mine. Looks like way too much cotton blocking the wick holes. I like to unscrew the deck from the base a poke a needle if i have that much cotton in the holes, if i overstuff it, this way juice has a chance to get absorbed up. Looks like that much cotton might be blocking the juice from absorbing up into the coil and is forming a block and just causing the juice to leak out the sides cause it's trapped and has no where to go. I like to just place the wick over the holes, turn the build deck upside down and take a needle and also just fluff the cotton so that little strands on coming out the holes. A little cotton goes a long way on the tails on this tank i've learned.
If the juice is trapped, then it would simply cause dry hits, I dont think that this RDTA defies physics. To cause a flooding you either need way too little wick or something else going wrong not related to wicking. Try stuffing too much wick into any RDTA or RTA and you will see that it will cause dry hits, never flooding.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
I was just offering my advice , and like i said i had the same leaking you did, and haven't had it since i changed how i wicked it. Was just trying to help and didn't mean to come off as questionioning your building/wicking method and blame it on that. I guess you must've just gotten a defective one :( cause these tanks are pretty well known for not leaking. Only times i had bad leak was due to my own errors.

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
I was just offering my advice , and like i said i had the same leaking you did, and haven't had it since i changed how i wicked it. Was just trying to help and didn't mean to come off as questionioning your building/wicking method and blame it on that. I guess you must've just gotten a defective one :( cause these tanks are pretty well known for not leaking. Only times i had bad leak was due to my own errors.
I do appreciate your suggestions, I will give them all a try. thank you.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
lol want to hear soemthing funny Russianvaper after i posted that? I JUST filled up my TF-rdta and usually am able to leave it on the side no problem without any leaks. So i get the juice ready and go to pick up the tank and see these huge juice pile under it. I clean it off and proceed to close the JFC, the airflow and fill it up. Open it up and fill it up, re-open the JFC and airflow and BOOM juice starts pouring out the airflows! It was fine the past 5 other times i filled it, now all of a sudden it just started leaking for no reason.

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
wow.. you guys aren't going to believe this but after just refilling again i never realized that my top swivel was never completely shut LOL! I alwasy thought there was supposed to be a little space when you just swivel the top cap back closed. I didn't realize it interlocks. Well this time i actually noticed the gasket was protruding up a bit i pushed down on it to make sure it was fully in place, then i went to close the top and it wouldnt close. THEN i thought maybe i should try applying pressure as i closed it and the thing made a clicking noise and snapped fully into place. Never heard that clicking noise before and now i see there is no space at the top where it closes lol.

Moral of the story? don't take advice from me ever again lol.

Reactions: Taowulf

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
lol i think i'm done with this tank guys. yesterday i was on a road trip with a friend and while he was driving i tried to fill it up. I've done it before only this time i forgot to close the damn JFC and airflow, i'm filling it up and noticing it's not filling. I check and see all the juice falling out the airflow holes all over my mod lol. Worst leak i ever experienced froma tank, hell i've left JFC, airflows open in many other tanks, but never a leak like this! the whole tank pretty much pilled out lol. I had no paper towels or anything and we couldn't stop as we were on the parkway so i had to use my shirt to clean it all up. What a nightmare. Also notice that silicone gasket thing is starting to get warped already and everytime i open and close the top swivel it's all distorted and i have to constantly press it back in. When i take it off though it looks fine and goes back to it's normal shape. I should just replace it with the spare.

Granted that was user error and 100% my fault, but sometimes you aren't paying as much attention as you should be. Sucks cause i love the flavor on this tank, Mine has a slight melting plastic flavor to it as well, probably that plastic insulator they put on it, but i think it adds to the flavor. I'll be fine, right? :p I don't think i'm ever taking this tank out on the road again though. You guys had to see my mod man..COVERED in juice.. Luckily it was the smok h-priv and just to be safe i took it apart ( thing is sooo easy to get apart, luckily) and suprisingly no juice got into the internals, some did find it's way inside a bit on the plastic, but was easily cleaned.

Last edited:

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
lol i think i'm done with this tank guys. yesterday i was on a road trip with a friend and while he was driving i tried to fill it up. I've done it before only this time i forgot to close the damn JFC and airflow, i'm filling it up and noticing it's not filling. I check and see all the juice falling out the airflow holes all over my mod lol. Worst leak i ever experienced froma tank, hell i've left JFC, airflows open in many other tanks, but never a leak like this! the whole tank pretty much pilled out lol. I had no paper towels or anything and we couldn't stop as we were on the parkway so i had to use my shirt to clean it all up. What a nightmare. Also notice that silicone gasket thing is starting to get warped already and everytime i open and close the top swivel it's all distorted and i have to constantly press it back in. When i take it off though it looks fine and goes back to it's normal shape. I should just replace it with the spare.

Granted that was user error and 100% my fault, but sometimes you aren't paying as much attention as you should be. Sucks cause i love the flavor on this tank, Mine has a slight melting plastic flavor to it as well, probably that plastic insulator they put on it, but i think it adds to the flavor. I'll be fine, right? :p I don't think i'm ever taking this tank out on the road again though. You guys had to see my mod man..COVERED in juice.. Luckily it was the smok h-priv and just to be safe i took it apart ( thing is sooo easy to get apart, luckily) and suprisingly no juice got into the internals, some did find it's way inside a bit on the plastic, but was easily cleaned.
Im enjoying the flavor in my new Limitless Plus, with zero hustle and no leaks :)

TheRussianVaper

Apr 22, 2016
I really wanted either the limitless plus or the smok tfv8. The smok tfv8 pretty much came out like 2 days after i ordered the tf-RDTA. But Russian, i'm thinking of taking a "tank break" and going to pick up a RDA.
Personally I have decided to stay away from all SMOK products. I have TFRDTA, G2, and G4, and they all leak horribly. I do have plenty RDA's although my favorite to this day is regular Velocity, I just bought slotted screws for it to replace hexagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread