Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just put my first coil and cotton in my Toptank RBA. MY FIRST REBUILD! Reading at 1.2 ohm (little cheat with premade coils) and works great. This is huge for me. Now I know I can do it! So exciting. :)

Go deal Bonskibon.

Many Times doing that 1st successful build can be a Mental Hurdle. But like with Many things, once you do it and it works, you realize that it Wasn't that Hard.

And after about 6 or 7 builds, you have it down Pretty Well. And have a little "Build Box" with all Tools and Coils and Cotton and what-not all in One Place.

Reactions: Bonskibon

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Go deal Bonskibon.

Many Times doing that 1st successful build can be a Mental Hurdle. But like with Many things, once you do it and it works, you realize that it Wasn't that Hard.

And after about 6 or 7 builds, you have it down Pretty Well. And have a little "Build Box" with all Tools and Coils and Cotton and what-not all in One Place.
Been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials and have a couple RTAs to work with as well. Wasn't planning on learning all this right now, but because of the FDA I feel I had no choice but to educate myself to be self sustaining.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials and have a couple RTAs to work with as well. Wasn't planning on learning all this right now, but because of the FDA I feel I had no choice but to educate myself to be self sustaining.

I see being able to Build your own coils is a Hedge against FDA actions. But it Also opens up a whole New world where one can Fine Tune exactly what type of Hit they get for a given Atomizer.

And don't feel that using Pre-Coiled Coils is somehow "Cheating".

As someone who prefers Single Wire Coils, I guess I could Wrap a Coil from bare wire Every Time I build? But when I see that I can buy about Any ohm/wrap in my preferred alloy, NiChrome 80, at about the Same Price as doing it myself, I find it hard to not buy them.

$1.93 Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA RDA RTA Rebuildable Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack - 26 AWG / 0.7ohm / 0.4mm dia. / 15*15mm leads / 6 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - If you have not Seen this site, Check it Out...

Coil wrapping

Great to do "What If's". And Great to see what the Heat Flux is for Builds you Like. And then compare it to Builds that you might want to Consider doing.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
BTW - If you have not Seen this site, Check it Out...

Coil wrapping

Great to do "What If's". And Great to see what the Heat Flux is for Builds you Like. And then compare it to Builds that you might want to Consider doing.
I have been playing around with Steam Engine a lot lately. :)

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have been playing around with Steam Engine a lot lately. :)

It's a Great Site isn't it.

Like I said, keep and eye on the "Heat Flux" and how it changes for a given Build/Watts. Because Ohms and Watts is what everyone Talks about. But wire Temperature is really what is Important.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
It's a Great Site isn't it.

Like I said, keep and eye on the "Heat Flux" and how it changes for a given Build/Watts. Because Ohms and Watts is what everyone Talks about. But wire Temperature is really what is Important.
Not really sure what heat flux is all about. I don't sub ohm so do I need to know this? Where do I find information about that? I notice it on Steam Engine, but it stays at 10 with the build I check.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Just put my first coil and cotton in my Toptank RBA. MY FIRST REBUILD! Reading at 1.2 ohm (little cheat with premade coils) and works great. This is huge for me. Now I know I can do it! So exciting. :)

congrats!

Tall oak trees grow from little acorns.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not really sure what heat flux is all about. I don't sub ohm so do I need to know this? Where do I find information about that? I notice it on Steam Engine, but it stays at 10 with the build I check.

In Simple terms, think of Heat Flux as a Measure of How Much heat a Coil is going to give off for a given Wattage. It doesn't matter if you Sub-Ohm or Not. Heat Flux gives you a Numerical Reference you can use to compare builds.

If you fill in all the Fields for a Build you like (Wire Allow, Wire Gauge, Ohms, Coil Diameter, etc.) and then enter the Watts you like it best at, you will get some Heat Flux Value.

Just for Talking, say the Heat Flux is = 200

Now when you change things like Wire Gauge or Ohms, you can compare what type of Watts it is going to take to get to take to get to that 200 Heat Flux Number. And How for Smoke Builds, the Heat Flux Changes Very Fast when the Watts are changed (Low Ohm Builds). And when in other builds (Higher Ohm Builds) the Heat Flux Changes slowly as the Watts change.

Builds where the Heat Flux changes Very Fast for an change in Watts can sometimes be harder to Use. Because the Sweet Spot where is Hits well is a small Wattage Window. Where as when the Heat Flux Changes Slowly, there is a large widow where the Hit taste about the same as the Wattage is Increased/Decrease.

Much of this might not make much Sense right now. And that is OK. Because you haven't had a chance to make many Different Builds. But it can help you down the road as you Branch Out and want to try Different Gauges/Types of Wire.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
DIY coils and DIY juice is very liberating ... the FDA is good reason to learn both.
Not possible for me to agree more.

Having rebuilding, and make your Juice is very liberating .

Having those skills and being prepared one can laugh at the Bureaucrats when they do sonething stupid like the deeming regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread