Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hi all,

I am rather new to the vaping world and am enjoying the Joyetech Exeed with the 1.2 Ohm premade coils, its good enough for now, but I have been reading about RTA atomizers.

Would you suggest eventually making the switch from drop in coils to RTA, and why?
Also, how often cotton needs to be changed on a RTA MTL atomizer on average vaping?

Also I still am trying to understand how to be able to define the ohm while building coils, box mods are also able to tell you the resistance, right?

Thanks a lot!
SP013

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I used factory coils at first. And tried to clean them to save money.

I decided to get an RTA and practice and add it to my other tanks in the rotation. It was so much better and I felt like I was accomplishing something. I bought more rather quickly.

Its like taking vaping to the next level in a hobby way. Some don't really get into vaping as a hobby and are satisfied where they are.

Just really up to you.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
I used factory coils at first. And tried to clean them to save money.

I decided to get an RTA and practice and add it to my other tanks in the rotation. It was so much better and I felt like I was accomplishing something. I bought more rather quickly.

Its like taking vaping to the next level in a hobby way. Some don't really get into vaping as a hobby and are satisfied where they are.

Just really up to you.

Thanks for your reply.

How do you clean factory coils? I've seen some ways by rinsing it with hot water, but I've tried that and they seem to burn very quickly after that :(

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Hi all,

I am rather new to the vaping world and am enjoying the Joyetech Exeed with the 1.2 Ohm premade coils, its good enough for now, but I have been reading about RTA atomizers.

Would you suggest eventually making the switch from drop in coils to RTA, and why?
Also, how often cotton needs to be changed on a RTA MTL atomizer on average vaping?

Also I still am trying to understand how to be able to define the ohm while building coils, box mods are also able to tell you the resistance, right?

Thanks a lot!
SP013
I think switching from drop-in coils to rebuildables is a good idea. It’s much cheaper and you get to experiment with different coils to see what you like best. You don’t even have to make your own coils. There are plenty of premade coils you can purchase that are cheap. Once you find some you like then you can try to make your own if you want or continue buying coils and still save a good amount over buying drop-in coils.
A better idea then switching to rta’s is getting an rda and Squonk mod. Rda’s are much easier to wick over rta’s. With rta’s you have to get the wicking right, too much and you get dry hits, too little and it leaks. Rda’s aren’t nearly as finicky and they deliver great flavor. I went from drop-in coils to rta’s and finally to a squonker and rda and could’ve just skipped rta’s. Either way it’s still a good idea to try out rebuildables and with the help of this forum and YouTube videos you should have all the knowledge and help you could ever need.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I switched to RTAs because I got frustrated with not being able to find coils for my tanks. Something new comes out, and the old stuff gets hard to come by.

While I do enjoy a better vape, I do not enjoy building. It’s a chore to me. I’d say, try it and see how you like it before you go hog wild with it. It’s not very hard to do, but there are some tricks to getting it right. Watch some YouTube for the atties you buy, and ask around here too.

Maybe start with top air, single coils for ease and less leaking. Horace is a good one, and Intake.

Delon

Dec 9, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
SP013
Once you go RTA, you'll never go back, cotton change depends on your juice and coils ohmage can be figured out with Vape apps in the playstore. YouTube also have helpful tutorials on beginners switching to rebuildable tanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Rebuildable atomizers are cheaper to use and they are customizable. You get to decide the coil wire gauge, coil wrap diameter, air flow port size (some/most are adjustable), and single or dual coils (depending on the atty). If you buy multiple attys you can swap them in and out and recoil when you have time.

Over time the money your spend on drop-in coils will greatly exceed the cost of rebuilding. Some of the older but great clone and original manufacture attys can be found for under $30 on sale. It doesn't take long to break even and after that all you pay for is cotton or Sally's rayon and coil wire that comes on spools.

YouTube is full of "how to recoil" videos for any atty you buy. Seeing is understanding and the web is full of those videos.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for your reply.

How do you clean factory coils? I've seen some ways by rinsing it with hot water, but I've tried that and they seem to burn very quickly after that :(
Yep. A coil cartridge is the wick and the coil. The wick doesn’t last nearly as long as the coil does and you can’t really refurbish them that well. They burn. Some factory cartridges can be rewicked but it’s generally a bigger PITA than it is to simply buy new ones.

As far as money savings go the general rule of thumb is the biggest savings is DIY juice, especially if you DL. Less so if you MTL, but it’s still large.

The next level beyond coil cartridges is RBAs which are attys designed to have their wicks and coils made from commodity materials and replaced separately.
It’s a question of initial fixed costs vs continuing costs. As fixed costs rise continuing costs go down, so it depends on how long you wind up vaping.

Vape less than a month: pods
Vape less than a year: coil cartridges
Vape more than a year: RBAs

Not sure where DIY pops up in that one. It partly depends on how much equipment you wind up getting which can vary a lot. On the low end you’ve got some bottles of base and flavoring and a couple plastic graduated cylinders or syringes. On the high end it can get insane. People have been known to use all manner of scientific and industrial equipment. Wildly, cigarette continuing costs are so very very high that these people with thousands of dollars in various kinds of equipment are still saving money long term.

Some long term DIYers have actually gone back to coil cartridges from RBAs because their juice mixtures make their cartridges last longer and the added convenience is worth the added continuing cost for them.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
You're right, you don't have to worry about the resistance of your coils and Ohm's law and all that, that is for the people using a mechanical mod. Your (regulated) mod will measure the resistance and do the necessary calculations.
For me, once I had started using rebuildables, I knew I wasn't gonna go back, the price difference is just enormous: I haven't spend any money at all on coil material in a year, and I still have plenty of wire and cotton left for a long time (years to come), and I know that it will fit even I buy new atomisers every month. And it's not like drop-in coils are so much more convenient, they're also a little bit of a hassle to change (at least my Melo 4 atomizer was). For convenience, I would look at pod systems, not at drop-in coils.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are lots of good reasons. Cost. Being independent from having to buy coils. While I am a person who is always going to use both types oft tanks (I like both) the flavor can be fantastic especially once you know what you are doing.

My main happiness is that I can be truly independent if anything happens to vaping. The flavor, fun and everything else was secondary. With that said, I do kind of think most US vapers should have a rebuildable or two at the moment in case things get hairy.

I don't think one is better than the other. I do think that sure, pods are convenient. They are also more expensive unless you know how to refill and rewick cartridges which is INFINITELY harder (IMHO) than using an RTA. You do get the convenience but also ALL the risks of drop in coil tanks at a higher price.

I say go for it. The worst thing that will happen is you will hate it, and then you are out the cost of one RTA.

I used a lot of clones early on. I am glad I did they gave me a platform to fail, fail, fail again on as I was building my skills. Granted I have a fine motor tremor so I'm sure you will do better than me.... But I still say: your RTA does NOT have to be expensive.

Anna

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
I switched to RDA's to begin with because at the time pre-made coils tended to be really dodgy and then I came to RTA's later. Of course this was many years ago but I'd find with a pack of 5 Kanger coils I'd typically get at least two duds and that used to really frustrate me. Plus they weren't cheap compared with a spool of wire and some cotton.

The advantage of a rebuildable is that you are never going to get caught out when some company stops making coils for your favourite atomizer. Plus you can build exactly the kind of coil you want for your vape. As for changing the wicking, depends on the tank and the juice I have in it. My tobacco juices really gunk up the Kayfun's so I'll probably replace it after every 3 refills but that's at least 12ml of juice vaped in total. If you've got a very clear juice that doesn't gunk you can go much longer. Important thing is to make sure the cotton isn't breaking down or you can get juice seeping.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@SP013, the Exvape Expromizer V4 is worth a look at for an MTL RTA.

Really easy to build and can be completely dismantled for cleaning and or maintenance.

@Shawn Hoefer reviewed them in his top air thread.

eXpromizer
Still one of the coolest names - ExVape Expromizer V4 Review

I've got one running a spaced 29AWG 6 wrap SS316L 3mm ID coil at 0.93 ohms and 15 Watts, it's decent. Just waiting for the Acrylic bubble glass to be made available or the 4ml extension kit.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
SP013

As others have said, buying coil heads is an expensive proposition. Recoiling your own attys is cheap, even with the cost of RTA tanks. Tank atomizers last virtually forever because you can buy replacement part for them cheaply. A box of Sally's Rayon and a roll of vape wire can last 2 or 3 years recoiling your own heads.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators is your best resource for coil calculations. You enter the coil diameter, wire type and gauge, and steam engine gives you the number of turns to achieve a given resistance. After that, you wind the turns on a coil rod, install it on your coil head, add a wick, and you are vaping. That's probably a once a week proposition, although you might want to replace the wick after a few days.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
My main happiness is that I can be truly independent if anything happens to vaping. The flavor, fun and everything else was secondary. With that said, I do kind of think most US vapers should have a rebuildable or two at the moment in case things get hairy.

Anna

This is the reason I recommend that vapers should have a good mech mod and a good RDA and know how to use them. You should also know how to DIY ejuice. If anything happens and vaping supply sales are banned you will still always be able to buy everything to continue vaping.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am there! I even have a few mechs that I'm not using, mainly because if I blow myself up, I would prefer for it to be from the safety of a bunker.

You don't need so much to keep vaping. Nicotine is probably the hardest thing.

To all you vapers going "It will be fine." I sure hope I can agree with you. And yes, there will be a black market.

Having lived in the supply AND demand part of the black market, let me tell you it's not so great. My ex husband (supply side) got set up and was very lucky he did not get caught. The 7 hours I spent oh, tossing, vacuuming, setting on fire, etc., of things in MY apartment (my name was on the lease) were NOT pleasant because I was also 6 months pregnant and SOBER and I was like "If the drug sniffing dogs show up and I have to go to jail they will TAKE my baby and if I am VERY lucky a relative will adopt it but it will not be MINE!!" and I was NOT AT ALL HAPPY.

That is how my ex left the supply side (I was like "You keep more than a joint in here or two that you can misdemeanor out, I will be leaving.") It was kind of interesting how much less INCOME we had, but I must say knowing that my kid would not be Snatched from me was worth it.

You can romanticize stuff like that if you want. A lot of folks do. However I feel it is safe to say that 7 hours I spent purging my apartment were some of the worst of my life.

Anna

• Love
Reactions: Don29palms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread