Staggered Fused Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all
Been wanting to try building some Staggered Fused Claptons, and was wondering what would be the best AWG to start with? I've got 26, 28, 30, 32 and 34 gauge kanthal. I was also wondering, for those who have tried both, which method is simpler, the 'dual wrap then unwrap' method or the 'loop guide' type method? Any help would be appreciated! Happy vaping

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I think the 26g with 32g or 34g wrap would work or 28g with 34g but the 26g version would be the easiest.
With the dual wrap method you can re-use the wire you peel off by straightening it back out by pulling both ends with pliers then use this to fuse the two halves back together, the only way you will have enough of the peeled wrap to fuse the halves back together is if you cut the piece of main wire you peeled from in half, you can do this for each piece for each coil rather than making one long piece so as to be able to make two coils from one whole length, so say you need 4" length of wire to make one coil, then double wrap an 8 or 9" piece.
A good way of making a jig to strip one of the wires is to get a piece of plastic like a credit card and drilling a small hole in it, then you unravel one of the double claptons enough to put through the hole then you can pull the rest through the hole with a pair of pliers as the main wire with the remaining clapton just spin on the card or plastic.
I use my ruler with hole sizes already drilled or pressed into it and the smallest is 1/16" but if you can i'd say drill a smaller hole as sometimes with soft main line you may find it trying to escape through the hole and end up snagging-->

I also sort of use the loop method, i start off by laying about an inch onto the main wire so i can get my thumb and forefinger onto the wire without hitting the drill chuck as it spins then i get a few tightly opened wraps down and instead of using a loop i just place say a 3" piece of wire into the last groove and pinch this with thumb and forefinger and continue the length of spaced wraps.

Another way that works quite well is to just wrap a few opened wraps at the start and then just jam your thumb and forefinger over these wraps and continue up the length, provided you don't loosen the pressure on the main wire you will get the same spaced wrap all the way through.

I think all three methods are in order of which gives the best result although the loop method may be better once you get the hang of it.
The last method i think is just a quick and easy way of achieving an end result, it all comes down to what finish you want.

Which is simpler! i think you need to decide for yourself, there isn't much in any of them imo :)

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Oooh I gots options! Haha thanks Slippy, if I can get my head straightened out Im going to try one or two of those methods. And I Love the Ruler trick! Ive always been one to come up with DIY solutions to those pesky lil tasks, so I can deff appreciate the beauty of it!

Hahaaha! no problems, lets see those staggered fused claptons ;)

I made a discovery!! The 15' spool of UD Clapton wire I got is dual claptoned! If I can straighten it out it'll make things loads easier. I also picked up a head strap magnifier @ harbor freight, when I was attempting the staggered fused I had a hard time seeing where the wire was and what it was doing, hopefully I'll have better luck today!

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Thats dead handy having some already double clapton'ed, i wouldn't bother trying to staighten it out you'd probably end up moving the spacing between the wraps, i'd unwrap one of the two wraps from a length and get the two half's to be fused together into a wire vise, hand vise or locking forceps so you can spin the two wires together in one hand while feeding the wire with your other hand. Or if you feel up to it just do it on a drill.
If you pinch the wire thats fusing it all together tightly with your thumb a forefinger so the two main wires rotate on your thumb nail you wouldn't even need the use of your eyes, it will auto pilot into the grooves:)

Thats dead handy having some already double clapton'ed, i wouldn't bother trying to staighten it out you'd probably end up moving the spacing between the wraps, i'd unwrap one of the two wraps from a length and get the two half's to be fused together into a wire vise, hand vise or locking forceps so you can spin the two wires together in one hand while feeding the wire with your other hand. Or if you feel up to it just do it on a drill.
If you pinch the wire thats fusing it all together tightly with your thumb a forefinger so the two main wires rotate on your thumb nail you wouldn't even need the use of your eyes, it will auto pilot into the grooves:)

my original plan was to totally unwrap ~3"-4" on each end, then (after removing one of the Claptons) loosen the remaining outer wire so the core could spin freely inside and straighten it out like you might with regular round wire... didn't quite go as planned :shock: (< my sarcastic suprised face)

Ill try giving 'er a tug and see it itll straighten. If that doesnt work ill just have to deal with not perfectly straight wire... THE HORROR! LOL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
On only two wire you can get away with using wavy wire as you can untwist or separate them as you go, even if the finished fused wire was twisted that would soon be rectified once you've wrapped them into coil's, you sound like you know what your doing anyway :) good luck with it buddy and post us a pic when you get it done ;)

IMG_20160713_112021.jpg

Couldnt get my phone to take a decent pic but its a start! Im calling that my practice run, time to make a full length and get em installed :evil:

Getting good shots with a camera on a phone can be a challenge. With my Samsung S6, I do a 3x zoom, and start backing the phone away until auto focus can kick in. I get some decent shots.

Just an example -

nFWwBRKl.jpg

Now that I can post with my IPhone it's loads easier to do anything lol the phones I was using were 4 and 6 yrs old, and SLLLOOOWWW! Not sure how many megapixels the 5s camera is, but it ought ya be better than the Dinosaurs. I'll try taking some pics of a Clapton or something today and see how they turn out

Reactions: Taowulf
3ac20efb7734479735cb77923e49e55c.jpg
a build worth rewicking! I'm not sure if it's to do with having adhd or w/e but I usually find myself rebuilding when most would rewick. I had enough to build another but I thought I'd give her a second life!! I may keep this somewhere safe when I'm done using it. I'll look back in a couple years and likely think 'why was I proud of this again? Ohh this was befooorre the triple double rollercoaster seated split fracked cracked fused recracked refused omicron Perseus coil came around. I can't believe I used to Vape a staggered fused Clapton. Or a jelly roll as we now call them' feel free to come back to this post two years from now and wonder 'jelly roll? How did he know?! He must be psychotic!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread