Clapton Coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
So, I've got shipment of 550 feet of Kanthal coming. Won't get here until the 28th of Jan. or 15th of Feb. According to Amazon (the package is in China lol).

22 awg - 50 feet
24 awg - 100 feet
26 awg - 100 feet
28 awg - 100 feet
30 awg - 100 feet
32 awg - 100 feet

So, down to my question. When doing a fused clapton coil, is it okay to do them out of nothing but Kanthal? All the builds I have seen use a mix of Ni and kanthal. If not, please explain, as I really like the look of a fused clapton coil. Particularly for the vapor production they offer.

Also, is it going to be possible for me to run dual fused claptons, below 100w, or is that just not enough power? The mod I have is capable of 200w, but the batteries I am getting aren't the 25a specified by the manufacturer of the mod. From my understanding, this means that I won't be able to max out the 200w of the mod itself.

I'm going to be using the Zephyrus V2 RTA, Wismec reuleaux RX200, and three Samsung INR18650-25R 18650 2500mAh 3.7v flat top batteries.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

G-weezy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Minneapolis
You can use regular Kanthal. 26 fused with 32 would be my choice or 24 with 32.

You don't need to use 100 watts on claptons. I only run between 25-40W on mines. But that's with N80.

You might need to bump it up fire but on a regulated it should fire up around 35-40 watts.

You must've got a steal from China because you can get good deals here in the states at LightningVapes for a good price.

Reactions: TrikStari

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
You can use regular Kanthal. 26 fused with 32 would be my choice or 24 with 32.

You don't need to use 100 watts on claptons. I only run between 25-40W on mines. But that's with N80.

You might need to bump it up fire but on a regulated it should fire up around 35-40 watts.

You must've got a steal from China because you can get good deals here in the states at LightningVapes for a good price.

Thanks for the info. Just got my batteries, already loving this new mod. And I did get a hell of a steal on the wire. $14 for 550 feet, and 5 PET bottles. Sold by "amazing vapes". 18 reviews, all 5 stars.
Genuine AmazingVape Mixed 550 Feet of 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32Gauge AWG kanthal a1 resistance wire+5 PE bottle(10ml): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Definitely you can use under 100W, and use all kanthal. So far all my Claptons are kanthal except one pair I accidentally used nichrome as my core wire on.

So far I've only done one pair of fused Claptons with double 26 core wrapped in 32. I would like to try double 28 core soon.
I can't wait to try my hand at building them. I wish I could pay Amazon or the USPS to accelerate the shipping.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
That's why I buy wire in the US :)

So, I got my hands one some wire. 32 gauge kanthal and 26 gauge kanthal. I've managed to make two clapton coils, but hit a problem. (I've got 100 feet of each. I'd keep trying but it's 9pm and my family is asleep, don't want to wake them with the sound of a drill running for 20 minutes)

When I first get the fused claptons wrapped, they heat up nice and even and everything is fine. But as I heat them up so I can position them properly, something happens and I get either "atomizer short" or "no atomizer" from my Wismec RX200 mod. I'm only heating them at 40w in VW mode. Is this a common problem with trying to build fused claptons on a regulated mod, or am I doing something wrong?

I've tried squeezing them in various ways with my new ceramic tipped tweezers, but they basically "die" and never work again. Not sure what the hell I am doing wrong.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
So, I got my hands one some wire. 32 gauge kanthal and 26 gauge kanthal. I've managed to make two clapton coils, but hit a problem. (I've got 100 feet of each. I'd keep trying but it's 9pm and my family is asleep, don't want to wake them with the sound of a drill running for 20 minutes)

When I first get the fused claptons wrapped, they heat up nice and even and everything is fine. But as I heat them up so I can position them properly, something happens and I get either "atomizer short" or "no atomizer" from my Wismec RX200 mod. I'm only heating them at 40w in VW mode. Is this a common problem with trying to build fused claptons on a regulated mod, or am I doing something wrong?

I've tried squeezing them in various ways with my new ceramic tipped tweezers, but they basically "die" and never work again. Not sure what the hell I am doing wrong.

My guess? They're touching something they shouldn't. A post, the bottom, the top cap or chimney. Or a lead snapped.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
My guess? They're touching something they shouldn't. A post, the bottom, the top cap or chimney. Or a lead snapped.

I've made sure of all of those. The only thing I can think of is that the thin outer wire is breaking and causing a short when I tighten down the post screws.

That, or I'm overheating the coils somehow and somewhere, the thin wire is breaking. Like I said, I've only had two successful fused clapton coils. I need a LOT more practice in making them, which is why I ordered 550 feet of wire lol

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
You don't need the thin wire to go through the post holes so I don't think that's it. You can unwrap it if the post holes are too small.

Do you have an ohmmeter or another mod? If so see what that says.
The only other mod I have is an eLeaf iStick 50w, which has the same limitations (other than total wattage) as this Wismec Reuleaux RX200.

Sadly, I don't have an ohm meter. I've basically just been guessing when wrapping coils since I'm using regulated mods. If something isn't right, they just don't fire.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Well, I'm trying to determine if its the atty or if the mod just doesn't like that atty. Someone else can't get his rx200 to work with his Serpent even though its working with all his other attys.

Put it on the istick and hit the fire button quickly just to see what the resistance is. If its not shorted and at least 0.2, it should read it.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
You might just be exceeding your mods ohm/amp limit and its giving you this error, i get the same sort of errors on my 200w snowwolf or Sigelei 100w if for instance i dont have a full charge in the batteries or as said your exceeding.
Your fused claptons will still fire if you break the outer clapton wire.

Mechs are your friend on these fancy builds But you Most Definitely Need a Good ohm reader/tester. :)

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
So, I managed to create a normal clapton coil. Single core of 24 gauge, wrapped with 32 gauge.
gIRRauF.jpg

It seems to be working just fine. Gives a reading of .45 ohms. Running it at 30w. Holy god does this thing throw some vapor.

Not sure what the issue is when I try to do a fused clapton. I've got some sturdier wire now, so tomorrow I'm going to try and make one using the 22 gauge kanthal, wrapped with the 32 gauge.

TrikStari

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
So, I took some advice from this video

And used some fishing swivels I had in my bug out bag to make about three feet of fused clapton wire. Incidentally, I've already used 100 feet of 32 gauge Kanthal. Good thing I bought an extra 100ft roll.

And the video is dead on about buying high quality swivels. After I made the three foot of fused clapton, I tried to make about a foot of single core normal clapton, and after wrapping a few inches of that, all three swivels locked up on me.

Pictures incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread