Steam engine,AWG,clouds i cant get what i want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
Ive been digging in these threads but after days im back to ask you good folks. Ive been vaping a while now but still not where i want to be.
I started with kangertech protank with 1.8 coil at around 8 watts. Im stunned what i find at steam engine on watts and ohms! It says, IF im reading it right that 1.8 at 20 watts would be fine vape. Now i looked there because im now using a subtank mini and the RBA. Im trying to get a fuller feeling on the inhale,so i guess i need bigger cloud bro,lol. Ive bought 1.2,1.4 and 1.6 precoiled coils from fastech. I know i do not like to sub ohm,to airy for me. Can i really get 1.4 to 16 watts and not burn up right away,and 1.6 to 25?? I been a chicken about going above 13 so far! Oh also i notice Kanthal and nichchrome has a difference in watts too. I bought some nich coils from fastech but it doesnt say n20 or n60 ect like steam engine wants in the drop down. So lost there too.
Any advice to get a filling cloud with above ohms? Im i looking at steam engine,coil wrapping right?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
If you want clouds bro clouds type of stuff you won't achieve it without going sub 0hm above it is always gonna be a mtl inhale and cannot produce as much vapor as a correct sub 0hm. Besides that i'll let someone with more knowledge give more details so in the meantime BUMPED !

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
If you want clouds bro clouds type of stuff you won't achieve it without going sub 0hm above it is always gonna be a mtl inhale and cannot produce as much vapor as a correct sub 0hm. Besides that i'll let someone with more knowledge give more details so in the meantime BUMPED !
I'm not trying to look like a train I just want more fullness than I get at 13 watts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I use the Toptank (same RBA) and when I build with kanthal I build at about 1.5 and use 12 watts power, plenty of cloud for me. You'll be fine to go as high as you want until it starts tasting a little burnt, then take it down some. What's the VG percentage of your juice?

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I use the Toptank (same RBA) and when I build with kanthal I build at about 1.5 and use 12 watts power, plenty of cloud for me. You'll be fine to go as high as you want until it starts tasting a little burnt, then take it down some. What's the VG percentage of your juice?
I mix 80 vg.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you could go a bit higher watts with a 1.6 or 1.2 coil, I'm sort of a wattage weenie, but I like a cool vape. If you are using a RTA coil, even if it's pre-coiled, you could do some experimenting, really, as if you overheat your tank the worst you'll have to do is re-wick and start over with fresh juice. I guess you could go higher on the VG, I have to use max VG due to PG sensitivity, so I really try to minimize my clouds, not increase them.....

Also, with the right kind of build (I used to not believe this) you can seriously do sub0hm mouth to lung with the right setup. I have a Nicolas tank which is drop-in coils at 0.6, and I vape that at 12 watts, but the coils are rated up to 20--25ish, and somehow, though a great deal of cloudiness happens, it sort of starts in my mouth, I had to actually keep dropping my wattage because I was choking on the vape.

Don't forget your airflow settings, too, that can make a difference, not just watts. Finding the right RTA will help, too, you may have a better experience with one versus another. But if you are making your own builds, I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with different airflow, juices, watts, and even a slightly "airier" RTA, that will give you nice clouds. I like the Hussar Coppervape clone it has an airflow reducer and it's a single coil deck that I built right around 1.0, and it's quite airy and I like it a great deal....

Anna

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I think you could go a bit higher watts with a 1.6 or 1.2 coil, I'm sort of a wattage weenie, but I like a cool vape. If you are using a RTA coil, even if it's pre-coiled, you could do some experimenting, really, as if you overheat your tank the worst you'll have to do is re-wick and start over with fresh juice. I guess you could go higher on the VG, I have to use max VG due to PG sensitivity, so I really try to minimize my clouds, not increase them.....

Also, with the right kind of build (I used to not believe this) you can seriously do sub0hm mouth to lung with the right setup. I have a Nicolas tank which is drop-in coils at 0.6, and I vape that at 12 watts, but the coils are rated up to 20--25ish, and somehow, though a great deal of cloudiness happens, it sort of starts in my mouth, I had to actually keep dropping my wattage because I was choking on the vape.

Don't forget your airflow settings, too, that can make a difference, not just watts. Finding the right RTA will help, too, you may have a better experience with one versus another. But if you are making your own builds, I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with different airflow, juices, watts, and even a slightly "airier" RTA, that will give you nice clouds. I like the Hussar Coppervape clone it has an airflow reducer and it's a single coil deck that I built right around 1.0, and it's quite airy and I like it a great deal....

Anna
Im a wimp when it comes to wattage! Worse is a burnt coil,burnt coil.burnt coil,sure? Lol im all regulated mods i feel pretty good with,i think. Just as of late,im not loving it like i did before. I wonder if i will always have to tinker or find my sweet spot!
You say MTL can be done with subohm huh? That maybe a way to play next. Ive never wanted to be use 40 watts or more but would like to get to 15 to 20 and wonder if i can with what i have now.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I wasn't a big believer but I run a Nautilus 0.7 at like 9 watts, and it's still a MTL vape with my airflow almost closed. This Nicolas tank surprised me-- I really thought I wouldn't like a 0.6 coil, but with the airflow 2/5 at 12 watts, it really is cloudy but somehow the vape *pools* in my mouth before I inhale it, and I got it to where I really like having a large mouthful of vape, then inhaling it, on what feels like a much "looser" draw than your typical MTL tank, and yeah, with my Hussar I can vape it around 15--20 if I want, though I don't require quite as much power.

This Nicolas tank surprised me though, I was thrilled that a very kind user had a backup and sent it to me to try, because it's not something I would have purchased normally, and it's right up there with my favorite tanks.... It's a vapefly product, I believe? Very cool little MTL tank with topfill, no leaking. It also comes with a 1.8 coil which I haven't tried yet...

Anna

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
Well, I wasn't a big believer but I run a Nautilus 0.7 at like 9 watts, and it's still a MTL vape with my airflow almost closed. This Nicolas tank surprised me-- I really thought I wouldn't like a 0.6 coil, but with the airflow 2/5 at 12 watts, it really is cloudy but somehow the vape *pools* in my mouth before I inhale it, and I got it to where I really like having a large mouthful of vape, then inhaling it, on what feels like a much "looser" draw than your typical MTL tank, and yeah, with my Hussar I can vape it around 15--20 if I want, though I don't require quite as much power.

This Nicolas tank surprised me though, I was thrilled that a very kind user had a backup and sent it to me to try, because it's not something I would have purchased normally, and it's right up there with my favorite tanks.... It's a vapefly product, I believe? Very cool little MTL tank with topfill, no leaking. It also comes with a 1.8 coil which I haven't tried yet...

Anna
Thats sounds promising. Im thinking i may drop a kanger sub ohm coil in now but i wonder since it IS sub do i need to drop my nic even though i will be using 15 to 20 watts? Is it the resistance or the wattage that causes the need to drop your nic?

Reactions: ChelsB

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it's both/neither. E.G. if you are running a coil in TC mode, that's almost a completely different animal... Running a sub0hm coil without pushing watts too high doesn't necessarily mean less nic-- it really just means that you need to keep track of the "volume" of smoke you are inhaling.... If it's a huge change then you may find that you are vaping less often, *or* you need to drop your nic, but unless you are going from 1.8 to 0.05 or something, you can play around with wattage and airflow to get the vape you want that may not necessarily require a lower nic.

At first with the Nicolas I was like, this is a ton of vape! But, I didn't end up lowering my nic because it satisfies me slightly sooner with a slightly higher volume of vape. I never changed my nic when using the 0.7 Nautilus coil, and I do think I got slightly more vape than with say the 1.8 coil, but not enough to cause me to need to lower my nic.

I'd experiment, and just keep an eye out on how your body is feeling, but I don't think it's necessary to lower nic the moment you hit 0.9 or something. If you are staying on the higher side of sub0hm (which is what I do) I have not found it to be necessary. Your mileage may vary.... :)

Anna

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I'm following this thread as I use high VG juice and sub ohm and I have yet to chuck a decent cloud. It's a little frustrating for me as I think I'd get even more satisfaction (even if it's only the placebo effect) with more vapor!
I starting thinking about more vapor when my brother stopped by and let lose a monster cloud. I used to think, "how silly" but this time i though "man that looks tasty!" lol so now back to tinkering i go.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I starting thinking about more vapor when my brother stopped by and let lose a monster cloud. I used to think, "how silly" but this time i though "man that looks tasty!" lol so now back to tinkering i go.

I don't know WHAT I'm doing wrong! I couldn't even get clouds using high VG on a Griffin 25+ tank! No matter how high I went in wattage!!!

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I don't think you're going to do much in the way of cloud above 1.2ish, or the high subohm range. I can get pretty good cloud from a .8Ω build on about 17 watts, but you have to use very thin wire (32ga or smaller). Take your lowest coil and run the watts up until it burns. Then rewick, knowing how high not to go. If you want more than that, you'll need a lower coil. You don't mention what gague of wire you're using, and you say you don't even know what kind of wire, so this is a handicap. Maybe bite the bullet, get a spool of wire, and start winding them yourself?

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I don't think you're going to do much in the way of cloud above 1.2ish, or the high subohm range. I can get pretty good cloud from a .8Ω build on about 17 watts, but you have to use very thin wire (32ga or smaller). Take your lowest coil and run the watts up until it burns. Then rewick, knowing how high not to go. If you want more than that, you'll need a lower coil. You don't mention what gague of wire you're using, and you say you don't even know what kind of wire, so this is a handicap. Maybe bite the bullet, get a spool of wire, and start winding them yourself?
I didnt mention it,sorry but it is 28 awg. I have kanthal and i have nichcrome the question is the nichcrome kind because in steam engine the drop down say n20,n40 and so on but my precoiled wires from fast doesnt specify which one it is. Im thinking more about sub but i see in your post in need 32 so i will have to wait for that.

Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Ive been digging in these threads but after days im back to ask you good folks. Ive been vaping a while now but still not where i want to be.
I started with kangertech protank with 1.8 coil at around 8 watts. Im stunned what i find at steam engine on watts and ohms! It says, IF im reading it right that 1.8 at 20 watts would be fine vape. Now i looked there because im now using a subtank mini and the RBA. Im trying to get a fuller feeling on the inhale,so i guess i need bigger cloud bro,lol. Ive bought 1.2,1.4 and 1.6 precoiled coils from fastech. I know i do not like to sub ohm,to airy for me. Can i really get 1.4 to 16 watts and not burn up right away,and 1.6 to 25?? I been a chicken about going above 13 so far! Oh also i notice Kanthal and nichchrome has a difference in watts too. I bought some nich coils from fastech but it doesnt say n20 or n60 ect like steam engine wants in the drop down. So lost there too.
Any advice to get a filling cloud with above ohms? Im i looking at steam engine,coil wrapping right?

I'm following this thread as I use high VG juice and sub ohm and I have yet to chuck a decent cloud. It's a little frustrating for me as I think I'd get even more satisfaction (even if it's only the placebo effect) with more vapor!

Ok, I'm not pullin any punches or yankin' your chain…y'all need one of these…

…and all you need is a 2.78 (7/64") drill bit, a pin vise (to wind on) and a proper spool of wire (not one of those hand-winds on a bobbin). Take ya about 30 seconds. Typically about a minute or two pulsing to oxidize and about that much to set it in.

Once you do you will get a scrumptious 17.5-25W readily and very time for months with very little moderate pulsing to keep accretion down. It will be your go to wind.

This technique achieves the maximum of density (vaporization rate) for any given wind as you just can't get these things any tighter or more symmetrical. That is the basis for a consistent powerful and flavorful vape on most single-coil ~.8Ω setups. Annnnd…it's going to be the coolest most dense vape you're likely to see at that temp target. Here's what she looks like on my first build on the very first Kanger Subtank original…

(Hit left arrow in gallery below to see video of this wind. Actually a twisted-lead parallel of about the same dimensions. Bit lower resistance. Also a strained micro.)

How does that sound? Details (keyword earliest Subtank ref) are on…

Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!
Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.

I just can't repeat myself enough. :D Hail me, if need be.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread