Storing Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
I recently purchased 3 bottles of 36mg Nic in PG (120ml each) from Good Prophets. It has been a few weeks and I've only used half of one of the bottles. It has made 135ml of juice for me @12mg, so I am set for awhile. But, my concern is, at what point do I need to freeze the nicotine? Will it go bad if I leave it sealed in a dark, cool area? Also, what happens if nic "goes bad"?

dnrtn2342

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2012
columbus, ga
I also have multiple bottles of nicotine, I just put them in glass and label e, and in the freeer they go. You could probably go ahead and do it now. I have heard two different things about it. Some say it loses potency others say it actually turns bad. But throwing it in the freezer will extend its life. Just pull it out and leave it at room temp for a day before u use it.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
The first question should be how much do you vape per day? That will pretty much determine how long the nic will last and if you need to store the remainder in the freezer.
When I used nicotine I didn't keep any more out than what I could use in 2 months. The rest went into either 15, 30 or 120 ml cobalt blue glass bottles(so as not to be confused with anything else). I used 100mg nic so therefore I only kept one 15ml bottle out at any one time, everything else was stored with the least amount of head-space as possible. No need to defrost any longer than the time it takes to become room temperature...to avoid condensation.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I also have multiple bottles of nicotine, I just put them in glass and label e, and in the freeer they go. You could probably go ahead and do it now. I have heard two different things about it. Some say it loses potency others say it actually turns bad. But throwing it in the freezer will extend its life. Just pull it out and leave it at room temp for a day before u use it.

It doesn't need a day before using, just has to come to room temperature, especially if its VG.

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
It doesn't need a day before using, just has to come to room temperature, especially if its VG.

Does nicotine somehow react or oxidize if it is left at room temp for a long time? Also, would there be a difference between refrigerating and freezing, because I think freezing might have some adverse effects as other things that I have frozen in the past, mainly beverages, have turned out foul-tasting after the thaw.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I buy mine in either dark brown or cobalt blue glass bottles. It arrives and goes straight in the fridge. I vape 4mg nic so I buy it in 36 mix in all PG. 120 mls lasts me a long time, I've never had any go bad. When it does start to turn it changes color and acquires a peppery taste I'm told. Have never experienced this first hand.

YMMV

SpringzVz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Colorado Springz, CO
The freezing idea comes from pg being used as an antifreeze so the thought is colder lasts longer. I havent experienced that.
Nicotine reacts to heat and light which changes its purity and potentency it will turn from clear to yellowish to brownish then take on a different flavor after shelf life expires around a year. The taste is going to depend on the nic. I have had only one bottle go bad and never used that vendor again. Will not name names I considered it my fault for bargain shopping on that one... I also screwed up and left it in clear glass in a very hot place. My fault totally.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Oxidation is what turns the nicotine a pale yellow then darker if exposed to air long enough. That's the reason we suggest glass (non-permeable)with the least amount of head-space(air) Either cobalt or amber will do. Cobalt is usually a bit more expensive but it sure does help with differentiating between it and other liquids and, it's just plain pretty.;) Nicotine will last years if stored properly. I have read several posts from vets saying 3- 4 yrs. with no perceivable difference. I would guess a slight change in the mg per ml. As long as it looks, tastes and smells good i would use it past the 1 yr. mark but not longer than 2 yr., mainly due to it being combined with VG and PG which pretty much have optimum qualities that last about 2 yr.. P & G Chemicals make PG & VG and say the optimum temp to store VG is i believe 72-73 F for 2 yr. with no light or air. I still keep my VG in the freezer and have had no problems...but I have only been DIYing for 17 months......maybe other that use these components can chime in with their experiences.:)

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Question: So the ejuices that I have not used over the last 5 months of purchasing them, many of which are lots darker than when new, have degraded and/or have poor quality nicotine in them? They've been sitting here indoors at room temp, except for the in-transit time (could have been in hot postal facilities and inside the trucks transporting them!) I have learned that having my stuff with me while outdoors in 100 degree temps during a recent vacation does cause them to change in flavor and many got quite nasty.
Did I read somewhere on this forum that good quality nicotine juices do NOT get darker? That it's only the poor quality stuff that turns color?
Or do they only turn when they're not kept cool? :confused:

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Question: So the ejuices that I have not used over the last 5 months of purchasing them, many of which are lots darker than when new, have degraded and/or have poor quality nicotine in them? They've been sitting here indoors at room temp, except for the in-transit time (could have been in hot postal facilities and inside the trucks transporting them!) I have learned that having my stuff with me while outdoors in 100 degree temps during a recent vacation does cause them to change in flavor and many got quite nasty.
Did I read somewhere on this forum that good quality nicotine juices do NOT get darker? That it's only the poor quality stuff that turns color?
Or do they only turn when they're not kept cool? :confused:

sadly, juices do get nasty above 82 degrees with high humidity after a month or two, in my experience.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Store in amber glass in cool place with little to no sunlight. I would not freeze the fridge would work better wrap in paper bag if using the fridge to block all light. Shelf life a year under best conditions.

Not true. Freezing can bring chemical processes to a minimum. How a particular nic does in the freezer depends largely on the purity of the nic in the carrier. I have had PG-nic from DV last for a couple years without any change, but cheaper PG-nic can turn amber and take on a tobacco flavor. All my VG-nic liquids are virtually unchanged after 2.5 years. Its all about viscosity at low temps keeping mobility down, and the low temps slowing any reactions with oxygen dissolved in the carrier. Freezing in dark glass is generally the preferred way for very long term storage. I expect mine to be fresh as the day I got them after several years.

Reactions: Mowgli

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
All my VG-nic liquids are virtually unchanged after 2.5 years. Its all about viscosity at low temps keeping mobility down, and the low temps slowing any reactions with oxygen dissolved in the carrier. Freezing in dark glass is generally the preferred way for very long term storage. I expect mine to be fresh as the day I got them after several years.

Kurt, just wanted to thank you for all the info you've put out on this subject. This older thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/myfreedomsmokes/43742-smoke-juice-storage-tips.html was alot of help. I've been mixing my diy with 24mg base from MFS but recently aquired a quantity of 100mg VG base which I plan to store using your methods. Just waiting for my amber bottles with the euro-dropper inserts to arrive.

cheers,
cho

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Kurt, just wanted to thank you for all the info you've put out on this subject. This older thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/myfreedomsmokes/43742-smoke-juice-storage-tips.html was alot of help. I've been mixing my diy with 24mg base from MFS but recently aquired a quantity of 100mg VG base which I plan to store using your methods. Just waiting for my amber bottles with the euro-dropper inserts to arrive.

cheers,
cho

when it comes to storage , my money is on Kurt.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
when it comes to storage , my money is on Kurt.

DITTO! Whenever nic is involved, Kurt's da one I follow...
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread