Storing Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Kurt, just wanted to thank you for all the info you've put out on this subject. This older thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/myfreedomsmokes/43742-smoke-juice-storage-tips.html was alot of help. I've been mixing my diy with 24mg base from MFS but recently aquired a quantity of 100mg VG base which I plan to store using your methods. Just waiting for my amber bottles with the euro-dropper inserts to arrive.

cheers,
cho

Cho, glad to hear it! I think you will really like the whole euro system, from storage to easy, fast and accurate dispensing. Most of my DIY liquids (VG, dist water, nic, some flavors) are in glass with eurodropper inserts. I generally use 17-18 gauge blunt needle syringes...even then VG can be slow to draw into the syringe. First insertion into the eurodropper with the needle can be a bit hard as it is TIGHT! After that, no issues, although the 50 mL bottles when the liquid level is low needs a bent needle. 30 mL bottles seem to do better. You can tilt the bottle as much as you like and no spilling. TPA 15 mL glass bottles for flavorings are right size for the euros I got from SpecialtyBottles.com, at least the ones I got for the 50 mL bottles a couple years ago.

Enjoy the DIY vapes!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm brand new and I learned from reading that Kurt has good reasoning behind his posts.

Kurt,

I saw someone ask something I wondered about...maybe you can shed light, pun intended. If nic is stored in a dark freezer in glass, why does the bottle need to be blue or amber?

It doesn't in the dark freezer. But it takes me many weeks to get through 50 mL of 100 mg VG, so for me the amber glass is most important when that bottle is out and being dispensed from. That said, I think the light thing is overplayed in general. The issue is UV light, not visible light, and glass filters out UV, even colorless glass. Still if amber or blue is available and cheap, why not? Nothing is going to stop room temperature oxidation of nic with O2 dissolved in the PG or VG...that's where virtually all the yellowing comes from, unless the bottle is left open...and even then the O2 absorption with a eurodropper insert is negligible.

The freezer storage thing was something I figured was valid, and after lengthy discussion with DVap, another pro chemist here, I went ahead and did it and posted the results. The main issue for me was if there was any expansion from freezing, as the kinetics and probable reactions were very clear. Neither expand with cold, maybe because neither actually go into a clear phase change to solid (PG not at all, VG gets really viscous).

That said, if that 100 mg VG is filled almost to the rim and then stored, say in the winter time when house temp is ~60 F, the liquid will expand if the bottle is brought out for dispensing into a warm room in the summer time, when ambient temp may be quite high. I've had a bottle start leaking in the heat of my office. So I have learned to bring the bottle up to room temp on a few paper towels, just in case, if the room is warm, and have gloves at the ready if leaking occurs. I've discussed this with vendors, and they can have the same problem. PG and VG are more prone to leak than build pressure. So I would leave ~2 mL head space in a 50 mL storage bottle when you fill them for storage, just in case. BTW for those bottles, 50 mL is not to the rim, its to the point where the bottle starts to taper in. They will hold several mL more than 50 mL.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I learned a good lesson a while back, I store my Bulk Nic in 125ml & 250ml Cobalt Blue bottles, but I always fill up 3 x 30ml cobalt Blue bottles too. This way I always go through 90mls of Nic before I have to open a 125ml or 250ml bottle of my 100mg vg Nic, this way my bigger bottles get opened much less and opened only 1/4 of the time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread