sub-ohms not for former smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
I wouldn't say that ex-smokers are mouth to lung hitters (even though I was). According to polls, most smokers are actually lung hitters. Who's to say what you would like? Everyone is on a different journey, and my path as an ex-smoker has led me to rebuildables and lung-hitting. Just go where you're comfortable.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My journey has led me to surprise myself and I now say,''Never say never''.

After I quit smoking a pack a day for over 30 years, I was a ''tootle puffer'' vaper -- a standard resistance, low voltage, mouth to lung vaper. As time passed by, I resisted rebuilding coils which had become the newest trend along with something called subohm vaping. After all, I was perfectly content vaping on a Provari at 4 volts or less with a 3.0 ohm cartotank.

I was forced into an early retirement and took on a part time position at a vape shop last year, which required that I become knowledgeable and proficient in rebuilding. I learned that a knowlegable and skilled coil builder can create a cool, flavorful direct lung vape with an ultra subohm/ high wattage setup which was a big improvement from my previous setup.

In a matter of about 6 months I had gone from one extreme style to the other. Never became a cloud chaser per say, I have never built lower than 0.5 ohms. Today I appreciate and use both styles. Never say never.

full

Last edited:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area

After I quit smoking a pack a day for over 30 years, I was a ''tootle puffer'' vaper -- a standard resistance, low voltage, mouth to lung vaper. As time passed by, I resisted rebuilding coils which had become the newest trend along with something called subohm vaping. After all,I was perfectly content vaping on a Provari at 4 volts or less with a 3.0 ohm cartotank.

I was forced into an early retirement and took on a part time position at a vape shop, which required that I become knowledgeable and proficient in rebuilding. I learned that a knowlegable and skilled coil builder can create a cool, flavorful direct lung vape with an ultra subohm/ high wattage setup which was a big improvement from my previous setup.

In a matter of about 6 months I had gone from one extreme style to the other. Today I appreciate and use both styles. Never say never.
Amen!! I even said I'd never ever buy a box mod, either...and then I won one.

TheVapingDuck

Moved On
Sep 4, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: New identity of previously banned member

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Yes I would say you're wrong because what you prefer doesn't mean others would prefer it. I hated MTL when I started. I like it more now though. My dad hates MTL, but he loves a sub ohm tank with 0.5 ohm coil. That's what helped him quit overall. That's the beauty of vaping, we're all different. Whether it's someone just starting out, or someone who has vaped for 2 years.

Ellen Dunsmore

Sep 4, 2015
Seems to me. Like cloud chasers are lung-hitters. Ex-smokers are mouth-to-lung hitters. At least I am. I'm not sure I would like sub-ohm vaping. Am I wrong?

I don't believe that's necessarily true, I started smoking when I was 19 and I'm 35 now and started vaping 6 months ago. I started on an ego, then a VV ego, then an iTaste VV/VW pen, then went right to an Arctic Dolphin mod with a Smok TCT subohm tank. Just got a Hexohm and I love it. So give it a shot. I don't use it specifically, I still grab my iTaste vv V4 at night when just watching TV.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
If a person is trying to quell the urge for a cigarette, generally they do not care about a big cloud of vapor to get that satisfaction.
As a hobbyist the 'cloud' is what is anticipated.

Of course these are just standards not the norm, everyone is different. At the same time, ~1-3/ mg nic is max for high wattage / low ohm users. Anymore than this is for one highly not recommended and two, hardly possible.

Both styles create their own wants and needs, the cloud chaser or sub ohm user will desire that lung fill of low or even no nic.
The 'tootle puffer' will generally use a higher strength nic, and they will retain that constant device in hand requirement.

As far as the mouth to lung / of direct to lung hit, many smaller standard devices have a more restrictive airflow, therefore making a direct lung hit almost impossible, where newer tanks and RDA's will have a much more open or free airflow, allowing the user to simply inhale large or open mouth lung fulls.

/book

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015

After I quit smoking a pack a day for over 30 years, I was a ''tootle puffer'' vaper -- a standard resistance, low voltage, mouth to lung vaper. As time passed by, I resisted rebuilding coils which had become the newest trend along with something called subohm vaping. After all, I was perfectly content vaping on a Provari at 4 volts or less with a 3.0 ohm cartotank.

I was forced into an early retirement and took on a part time position at a vape shop last year, which required that I become knowledgeable and proficient in rebuilding. I learned that a knowlegable and skilled coil builder can create a cool, flavorful direct lung vape with an ultra subohm/ high wattage setup which was a big improvement from my previous setup.

In a matter of about 6 months I had gone from one extreme style to the other. Never became a cloud chaser per say, I have never built lower than 0.5 ohms. Today I appreciate and use both styles. Never say never.
Well said!

Being closed minded in vaping will only hamper yourself. I started on this, moved to that, and tried some the other things in between. " Old" tech still works and works very well, I just got the opportunity to try a cartomizer and was pleasantly surprised with its vapor delivery. I can build sub ohm coils for an RDA or tootle puff away on older tanks with itty bitty coils.

Don't limit yourself on gear based on the ever changing market, peer use , or preconceived notions of what is and isn't good gear and useage in the wide world of vaping.

VaporDaze

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2015
Denver, CO
I used to smoke a PAD and I much prefer the lung hits even though I didn't lung hit when smoking. My first setup was a Hana 30w with a RDA about a year ago and I haven't smoked since, now my normal setup is a sigelei 150w TC with the crown sub ohm tank and a .15 nickel coil or a mutation x v4 with a .44 dual coil for the days I feel like dripping and I find that blowing huge clouds is way more satisfying. Everyone is different and I personally enjoy a subohm vape more than a 1 ohm+ but do what you like and what will keep you off the smokes. The best part of the vaping community is that there is no right or wrong with what works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread