Status
Not open for further replies.

Atchafalaya

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I would toss the ashtray. For me, it's smell will trigger smoking.

I just carried my APV around the first week or so. Then I would carry it around and sit it just out of my line of sight. Let the urges tell you when.

If urges are often, add an extra 1-2 draws for satisfaction. I would start with 24mg juice that is minty. My tasttebuds were shot, so I could taste soft flavors. If the 24 is too weak, your urges will say vape more.

On my nightstand is a coffee mug for my APV...my APV is never far.

Just go by urges for 2-3 weeks.
I still have an ashtray with a cigarette in it. So, when I feel like smoking it, I can yell at it and tell it how I do NOT need it anymore! lol

Reactions: DC2

Aerows

Sep 30, 2015
You have to want it to quit. It's more mental quitting in my opinion. If you have doubts, you'll struggle. If you think of the negatives, you'll struggle.

What setup are you using? Mod, tank, and e-juice?

It took my dad using an iStick 50w, Atlantis tank with 0.5 ohm coil, unflavored e-liquid at 18mg nicotine. Unflavored is the #1 reason he quit smoking, because he compares unflavored to a Marlboro light. I vape unflavored too 90% of the time it seems.

I still have dreams where I light up a cigarette. Then I wake up and I am relieved that it was just a nightmare and I will never go back to the stinky ones ever again.

gjam

Aug 29, 2015
Climax, Ks.
When I started vaping almost two months ago, I was at two packs a day. I knew my goal was to quit smoking, but didn't obsess or stress over that. I am still occasionally smoking, but I am down to about 5 cigs a day. At least once, I lit a cig and might have had a total of two puffs, picked up Vape and started vaping while the cig burned out in the ashtray. I didn't realize I had done this till a while later. Once after lunch I went outside to have a cig, didn't light it, but set it in the ashtray as if it were lit and started vaping while on the Internet. I forgot the cig was even there. I think my moving away from cigs is happening as I hoped, but the transition is easier since I am not focused on the "quitting" part. The quitting is just happening. I wish you the best.

BTW, living in an area prone to hurricanes, I will have my hurricane supply of cigs jut in case there is of power to charge my Evod.
For some time before I quit I got a cheep cigarette maker filtered tubes and bag of fine pipe tobacco (much cheaper and the same thing) I quit buying ready mades and started making my own. The thing about making your own is the obvious, you have to put out the effort to make them and this will give you time to rethink your decision to smoke. Believe it or not you will really start smoking less. I would say that this would make a great hurricane emergency kit for you. I haven't smoked for many months but, my bag of tobacco and kit sets in open view on its rolling tray next to all of my growing vaping collection as a constant reminder of what I have put behind me without feeling totally detached. It totally helped and if I want to backslide I know I am free to but, heck if I do the tobacco is getting old enough it will most likely taste like an old cow pie.Good luck and keep up the good fight :) ...........................G

P2PLeon

Toot This, Toot That, Toot Everything
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 19, 2015
    Middlesbrough,UK
    myvapingright.com
    Finally of cigarettes since 5th October 00:00 and have been ever since, just went cold turkey and threw out my remaining cigarettes which was 3 and did not look back. have nearly done 2 whole days with out one and i am loving it. plus it was my birthday today

Mikedin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    If you like fidgeting, like lighting the cig, tamping down a fresh cig... you might try dripping. Dripping into an atty is kind of like lighting up. Some think it's a PITA, I thought it was too until I tried it and realized it kept my hands busy. But keep a tank set up for driving or whenever you can't drip.

And don't let anyone tell you how much nic to use. Nic is not bad for you, only smoking is. Use as much nic as *you* need.
    I agree with this tanks really didn't do it for me , my first dropper did the trick for sure I could use the tank for awhile but using the rda made me feel like I was doing the whole get out the smoke and light it up routine, really made it much better , before long it was what I liked to do! Try all different flavors , a good vape shop will have tons of flavors to try without having to buy first, I started with 24mg extreme ice menthol , and now just vape 3mg nic with all different flavors and I love it, my co workers and the customers who's houses we work in don't mind me walkin in and smelling like capital crunch cereal lol

And most of all just enjoy it, you'll love being able to breathe like a 10 year old again!

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 27, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    ^^^right on brother --- you have to want it and you have to want it bad in most cases. Some folks here claim that it comes about sort of by itself after they have vaped awhile but most folks I know still had to put quite a bit of mental effort into it.
    I'm glad you added "in most cases." But I'm not sure it's most. I quit smoking almost without really wanting to or consciously trying. I just found that I preferred vaping and didn't really miss smoking. And that's after over 40 years of at least 1 PAD. There are quite a few people on this forum who have had similar experiences. I think it may be counterproductive to constantly imply that switching from smoking to vaping will be be a painful experience requiring herculean determination and will power.

Reactions: DC2

P2PLeon

Toot This, Toot That, Toot Everything
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 19, 2015
    Middlesbrough,UK
    myvapingright.com
    I thought that also needing a stigmatic willpower just to stay off the fags for one day. But since trying repeatedly with just vaping I have come to the conclusion that if you want it bad enough and try no matter how many failed attempt that one day it would come natural and you might find you may not even need to vape but determination is all you need. It is day four for me now and i have been thinking about cigs but keep saying to self I want to make a life long friend out of not smoking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: David Wolf

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Finally of cigarettes since 5th October 00:00 and have been ever since, just went cold turkey and threw out my remaining cigarettes which was 3 and did not look back. have nearly done 2 whole days with out one and i am loving it. plus it was my birthday today
    :bday::banana:

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2014
    Vienna, Austria
    Finish smoking the cigarettes you have and stop buying them. Once you don't have any, it adds an extra step to get your hands on some.
    Befriend your vaping device and treat it like a good buddy.
    If it's not feeling right, tweak it. If you are missing throat hit, go with higher pg juice.
    Make sure you have high enough nic in your juice.

When I smoked my last cigs on the way home from the cape shop, my EVOD starter kit wasn't all that. Poor hit and the shop started me off on way too low juice so the cravings were there. I did see the potential though and focused the cravings into energy to buy a different device just a few days later, to try out juices and tweaked my vape to something that resembled my cigarette experience, just with fruit flavors.
    The tinkering aspect helped me a lot.

Oh and congrats! Hang in there! (Should have read the whole thread)

i have been keeping a diary for how many cigarettes i smoke each day from 30 june this year to today and this will show you Evernote shared notebook: i have summed up the 8 full weeks i have been keeping a record and it works out to 16 and i was quite recently a 20+ cig a day smoker. so i can see i am getting somewhere of the stinkys but not to a degree in regards to the daily usage.

please post suggestions on how i can quit, i know most of you will say vape more, but that is the problem my brain is set to smoke mode most of the time and i need to re learn that action to vaping. so any routine would work but i need your input
    Try to run a mile at 8 mph on a treadmill. That should show you how crappy your stamina is. That should help you (at least it did for me) to realize how much you need to quit and it should motivate you as well. Then get yourself an RDA. A good one that has a lot of airflow and ask a vape shop for a cloud chucking build. Don't go over 12 mg nicotine because then you won't enjoy vaping as much as cigarettes. I started at 6 mg and that's what still use everyday. Once you finish your last pack of death sticks, don't buy another one. Just keep relying on vaping to get your nicotine and the clouds that go into your lungs start to become more and more satisfying. You will eventually want to vape 8x more than you want a cigarette. I myself was a pack a day smoker of Marlboro Reds and I absolutely loved them. Then I realized how bad my stamina was and started vaping at a more advanced level and quit. For me it was easy because I was addicted to cigs for about a year only. Another tip for motivation, better stamina = better sex. ;)

Dodo0769

Sep 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    i have been keeping a diary for how many cigarettes i smoke each day from 30 june this year to today and this will show you Evernote shared notebook: i have summed up the 8 full weeks i have been keeping a record and it works out to 16 and i was quite recently a 20+ cig a day smoker. so i can see i am getting somewhere of the stinkys but not to a degree in regards to the daily usage.

please post suggestions on how i can quit, i know most of you will say vape more, but that is the problem my brain is set to smoke mode most of the time and i need to re learn that action to vaping. so any routine would work but i need your input

I had not planned on quitting and LOVED my cigarettes!!! I started vaping just to see what it was like. I was curious. I work at a convenient store, so I started buying and trying the disposable ECigs that we sell. They are rather inexpensive to buy. I found one that I love!!! It's called "Juul." Within a week, I was completely off of cigarettes. I wanted and liked the Juul MORE than the analogs!!! The Juul has the perfect amount of vapor that mimics an anolog. It comes in four flavors so you can try and choose your favorite. Also, it's small and lightweight just like a cigarette. There's no metal taste. The battery last a real long time and it charges within an hour!!! It's perfect for me and I've been off of analogs since September 14!!! I don't even want one anymore!!!
    My advice is to play around with them! Buy several different kinds and see what you like the best. Also, play around with the different flavors too! Vuse makes a disposable that I also like really well! The only problem with the Vuse is the pods/cartridges do not last long.
    Good luck, remain open minded, and don't give up! You can smoke and vape when starting out. I just got to the point where I'd put the cigarette out because I'd rather taste the ECig.

@P2PLeon I smoked for 30 some years and as for my scenario I had been wanting to quit for so long (few years) and was curious about the e-cigs. I had tried a few over the counter 'Walgreens' specials... But they were not satisfying enough to break the habit. It took me going to a local B&M vape store and counseling with the experts to get me on a rig that was similar in size to a real cig and had the throat hit also. You may want to play around with a few flavors just to keep it interesting, but I have stuck to the "analog" style flavors as I enjoyed that taste in the morning, after meals, etc. Once you find the right rig and juice, there should be no turning back. But as stated by many members before me, you have to really want to quit or it just won't work.

Once you have kicked it, you will find you will need to upgrade your rig now and then, mostly because you will get better flavor, vapor, etc.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I found one that I love!!! It's called "Juul." Within a week, I was completely off of cigarettes. I wanted and liked the Juul MORE than the analogs!!! The Juul has the perfect amount of vapor that mimics an anolog. It comes in four flavors so you can try and choose your favorite. Also, it's small and lightweight just like a cigarette. There's no metal taste. The battery last a real long time and it charges within an hour!!! It's perfect for me and I've been off of analogs since September 14!!! I don't even want one anymore!!!
    @Dodo0769

Hey, awesome!! Look at that, my first real Juul user!!
    We really don't run into a lot of Juul users round these parts.
    :)

Here is a thread that might interest you...
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/another-article-on-the-juul.678054/

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    @P2PLeon Also, you need to get rid of all ash trays, lighters, matches, empty ciggy packs or anything that reminds you of cigarettes.

In my case it was the precise opposite. If I had got rid of the smoking stuff I would have panicked and failed. I needed the absolute minimum of anxiety to make it work. There's still a full pack of tobacco in the cupboard and it's been over two years now. That only works of course because vaping is such good a replacement.

@P2PLeon Actually prior to all this, you MUST get the mind set that you are cigarette free.

But that is absolutely correct. Everyone who ever gave up cigarettes decided one day they were non-smokers and stuck to it.

Kriengsak Wangdulyakiti

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2015
    I noticed from many posts here and I really think "Juice is the key". You probably not find the right juice for you yet. I mean the juice that you really want to vape, can vape the same juice whole day long, the juice that you cannot get enough of. When you found it, quitting is really easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread