Sweet Juice - Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
right now I have sweetleaf brand liquid stevia "clear" flavor and "vanilla creme" flavor. Use sparingly. I've found that different brands vary, some are pretty good, some really bitter. try to locate the liquid "white stevia" or clear formulas. Oh, and unlike other sweeteners, more is not better. too much will cause a more bitter taste instead of a sweeter taste, a teensy little bit goes a long way.

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
I just received my Splendex powder today and I'm amazed at how sweet it is. I did the mistake of licking the disposable fresh seal wow talk about sweet overload 8-o

I bought sucralose because it does not breakdown and remains stable at high temperatures and I can buy a 100% pure source . I did not like Stevia because I could not find a pure source the best I could find was 87% pure so I did not know was in the remaining 13%. I also did not know how stable it was when heated.

I will be making some juice later in the week, I just made up some juice yesterday for the week.

Edit: I forgot to add that Stevia contains glucose so it will leave residue on atty's

Last edited:

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
I made a small sample batch today of unflavored so I can single out the sweetness and I'm not impressed. The sweetness is there but not the kind I was hoping for, the sweetness comes as an after taste. I thought maybe it would be better with flavor so I added some Lorann peach a flavor in need of sweetening. It smoothed out the harshness and bumped up the sweetness but it killed the peach flavor a bit had to add more flavoring. I get more sweetness adding a drop or two of bubble gum. Oh well no big deal it was worth a try and it was only $10 now I have enough sucralose for my coffee for the next 5 years.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I purchased Stevita brand stevia drops. No other ingredients are listed on the bottle. It made everything taste like what a wet dog smells like. The amount I used was miniscule but it was enough to foul my atty to normal flavors. I had to rinse the atty repeatedly and then use a mint flavor to mask it.

baby driver

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sunny CA
www.myspace.com
Got the splendex about a week ago and it is AWESOME. Just add a lot less than you think you need and shake the bottle prior to using (good idea in any case). Yummy! I have been using it in various coffee flavors. It also really fills out the flavor (where sometimes it tastes like something is lacking, can't put my finger on it -- it turns out it was lacking splendex!).

JMHO

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
Hi, ya'all...

I asked one of the juice vendors few weeks ago about sweeteners for juice and he told me that stevia and saccharine both can become toxic if heated to a certain temperature, but he didn't know what the temperature was. He didn't say anything about Splendex, so maybe it's different, but since some of you were trying stevia, I thought I should mention it.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and I know you're using minute amount, but do make sure that what you're adding is safe.

I've been in the same boat wanting something much sweeter than any of the juices I've tried. I had bought some Lorann's flavorings at Hobby Lobby, but they never had the flavors that I hear will give us that really, really sweet taste. So, I finally ordered directly from Loranns and it makes a HUGE difference. The flavors I ordered to add sweetness are cheesecake, cotton candy, marshmallow and carmel.

I don't know what is in these, but they're definately worth ordering...right now I am vaping a candy apple flavor that I found in the recipes thread, and it is very good. It only took a small amount of Loranns apple and carmel, and it is every bit as sweet as the Vanilla Sweet Dreams I used to love.

Good luck w/finding the right taste...it has taken me months, and this is the first time I think I've found something I can really enjoy vaping. There's been a few that I thought were 'it', but this blows the rest away.:lol:

I've used Stevia leaf in many homebrewed teas. It is a wonderful, natural sweetener. I'm not sure where the supplier got his information, but it is Aspartame and Sucralose that are toxic.

Aspartame / Stevia FACTS
Sucralose (Splenda) Toxicity Information Center

All of the information I've found on Stevia has stated it is not toxic and has been used for many years all over the world.

A Natural Sweetener That's Also Calorie-Free - Julian Whitaker MD Stevia - Naturally Sweet - Recipes, Cooking Tips, Articles, and leading Stevia Products
Stevia News, Tips, Information, Frequently Asked Questions
diabetic-diet-secrets.com - Stevia as a Diabetic Aid

The FDA pulled the same crap with Stevia that they are trying to do with E-cigs. They seized shipments and Stevia cannot be marketed as "sweetener" only as a dietary supplement.

The Gov't baffles me.

Anyhow, I hope this helps some of you. I plan on using Stevia for my juices. I won't use anything with Sucralose or Aspartame as a sweetener if I can help it. Even drinking something using this as a sweetener gives me migraines. Plain sugar or stevia is all I will use.

Just my .02

ExDee

Moved On
Oct 13, 2009
  • Deleted by Jim Davis
  • Reason: Underage Poster

RyGuy

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Colorado
So I see a lot of different recommendations in here about which sweetener works best, but is there anyone that has experimented with all of them and prefers one over the other? I am leaning more towards stevia, but the sucralose route is tempting as well. Is there an option out there that will give a true sweet taste without a chemical aftertaste?

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I am wary of all artificial sweeteners.

I never liked aspartame (NutraSweet), especially when I read that around 10% of the population has bad reactions to it. It has a nasty aftertaste to me and in the beginning it gave me severe headaches. I learned to tolerate it when the Dr. made me switch from regular Coke to Diet Coke (like nicotine, I gotta have my Coke!), but I'm still not crazy about it.

Sometimes I drink Diet Coke w/Splenda (sucralose), but that's not sold everywhere. I actually LIKE the aftertaste of Splenda, but I have read that it has bad effects on nearly as many people as aspartame does.

I have not tried stevia yet, but if Coca-Cola starts using it I'll get some. :D

I would offer the following for everyone to think about:

Aspartame is supposedly derived from a nerve toxin. I'm not sure how true that is, but it might explain some of the bad reactions people have to it.

Sucralose is nothing more than chlorinated sugar, which puts it in a class of chemicals called chlorocarbons. Chlorocarbon chemicals include some very infamous insecticides, including Chlordane and DDT.8-o That might explain some of the bad reactions people have to sucralose as well.

Stevia is a natural plant extract, and I have not heard of any hazards regarding it's use. Which doesn't mean there aren't any, of course. I believe the FDA won't allow it to be sold as a sweetener simply because it competes with NutraSweet and Splenda. (Can't have some inexpensive natural substance taking market share from US chemical companies, now can we?:rolleyes:)

They are all probably fine for use in tiny amounts, but I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of any possible hazards.

TT33

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Okay, so ...
ButterCrunch... It seems you have used this longer than anyone in mixing w/ liquids- What is the overall impression you have?
Scottes, have you still been trying a sweetener of any sort or are you done w/ it?
Techno, what about you?
I'd love to hear any more from any of you... A couple of my flavors would be great w/ just a tad bit of sweet and more tolerable to me as well
I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners though... As in, I don't buy ANYTHING that uses it in any form... I have had migraines since I was a toddler and all of them are an instant migraine- PLUS, I can taste it in anything that uses it- that includes baked goods that I don't even see being baked- If they use it, I taste it and it is NASTY!
I make candy & bake but naturally haven't used my liquid sugar glycerin because... sugar is bad for the atty... & this is not a concentrated type of sugar just a liquid glycerin sugar- would use about the same in liquid form as granule form... or thereabouts anyway...
Do any of you "taste" an "artificial" taste w/ this?
Please keep us up on this- I am going by the health store next week... I may grab some Stevia- (or is this not the same form as what you all are using?)
Thx for any updates

RyGuy

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Colorado
So I tried just a drop of Stevia in a 5ml batch that I just made and it didn't really do much for the flavor, so I got curious and dropped a drop of pure Stevia on a 901 Atty and...... BLECH! It was a horrible taste, kinda like smoking Opium taste wise. It is not at all the taste I was expecting and I will not be using stevia in any future batches. Though a fantastic natural sweetener for beverages, it does not fair well in high-temp situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread