Biscuit problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Here's what's happening. I mixed some Strawberry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Cone about a month ago. Everything good and taste as I expected. Been mixing this for awhile so nothing new added. Now I'm not getting any Cone at all from the biscuit. A variation of DiyorDie' s recipe, thanks Wayne, Wayne cringes with my subs but it all I had on hand at the time and made a nice juice though probably quite different from Wayne's intentions.
Tfa Strawberry Ripe 7%
Tfa Cheesecake Graham Cracker 3%
Tfa Bavarian Cream 1 %
Cap Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 3%
Inw Biscuit 2%
Fa Caramel 1%
Now as I said before there is no Cone and I suspect the Biscuit is the problem or the C.G.Cracker as they combine to create the Cone.
I have new biscuit this week and just remixed 10mls with it and out of an existing mixed bottle of recipe 3ml into those tiny 3.5 ml bottles and to one added 2 drops of the older biscuit and to the other 2 drops of newer biscuit. The older biscuit is only a month old and the new came on Friday, I mix alot of bakery.
Also as my pies aged realized that my crust is off in them also, not going to write out them but been mixing the Cone recipe and the Pie for over 2 years so well acquainted with both and there is no C. G. Cracker in my pie crust.
The Strawberry Cone is usually great on Day 2 so I will know on Tuesday what's going on before I contact supplier. Yes I shake my flavour concentrates before using for about 2 minutes first time I use and a quick shake before I remove cap to use thereafter.

If there's a huge difference then I'll know but worse case is no difference.
Will post findings on Tuesday

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Just my own experience...
I am using INW Biscuit purchased July of 2016; and have no issues with flavor loss, or flavor fading once mixed. I'm not sure what could be causing your troubles, unless your supplier is one of the less scrupulous ones, that waters down their concentrates when they re-bottle them. Sorry to hear of your troubles; I hope you get it figured out.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Just my own experience...
I am using INW Biscuit purchased July of 2016; and have no issues with flavor loss, or flavor fading once mixed. I'm not sure what could be causing your troubles, unless your supplier is one of the less scrupulous ones, that waters down their concentrates when they re-bottle them. Sorry to hear of your troubles; I hope you get it figured out.
Same supplier I've always used, I assume they buy litre sizes or bigger, resize for retail then slap their label on. Don't want to say name of company until I talk with them

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
The only thing I can think of is to mix a bottle of each stand alone.
I forgot to mention I also mixed a couple of testers at 2%, my usual % in the recipe.
If the new bottle is good then I'll know if I can save the pie as already had 4@30mls steeping. The Strawberry Cone has a short shelf life so the most I mix is 30mls at a time due to strawberry fade.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've had similar issues with flavors in the past. What fixed my problem was shaking all my flavor bottles as hard as I could right before mixing. You'd think that flavors would be fine as long as you can't see settling and layering in the liquid in the bottle. Apparently, that's not so.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've had similar issues with flavors in the past. What fixed my problem was shaking all my flavor bottles as hard as I could right before mixing. You'd think that flavors would be fine as long as you can't see settling and layering in the liquid in the bottle. Apparently, that's not so.
Mattiem Recommended this as well. Used the tip when mixing my last batches, haven't tasted any yet. Also started using a mini mixer. Love that thing!

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Mattiem Recommended this as well. Used the tip when mixing my last batches, haven't tasted any yet. Also started using a mini mixer. Love that thing!
I did the mini mixer about a year ago, all that shaking gets tedious, but found it led to huge flavour drop which I assume was due to flavour molecules escaping from the bottle. When I stopped using it flavour returned but ymmv.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Could be your taste buds and or wattage also. Taste buds change over time and different wattage settings will change the flavor profile of your juices.
I'm stumped as build, atty, watts the same. Problem started Nov. 4 when first off notes was a slight burned taste, cleaned RDA, new coils, adjusted coils, replaced wick daily, played with watts up n down and again repeated above steps this weekend when my Pico arrived since power curve different on different mods. Also didn't mix or vape the Strawberry Cone or vape anything with biscuit or Ripe for a week as pies were steeping to reset taste buds. Gone through more coils and wicks in the last two weeks than in the last 6 months.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Especially when they have been sitting for awhile. Like I said the new bottles I shake for a full 2 minutes then a quick shake again before using meaning 30 seconds so lots of bubbles and some foam on top. Whole lotta shaking going on.
Nice axe by the way

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I did the mini mixer about a year ago, all that shaking gets tedious, but found it led to huge flavour drop which I assume was due to flavour molecules escaping from the bottle. When I stopped using it flavour returned but ymmv.
I haven't tasted any the mini mixers yet. Hope that is not my experience.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I haven't tasted any the mini mixers yet. Hope that is not my experience.
I need some kinda cheap shaker gizmo, both arms doing the shake, that's why I was mixing so much to see how juice tastes at 30 n 60 days, figure less shaking with 100 ml bottles.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I need some kinda cheap shaker gizmo, both arms doing the shake, that's why I was mixing so much to see how juice tastes at 30 n 60 days, figure less shaking with 100 ml bottles.
I got the mixers because the shaking was killing my elbows.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I have over 30 bottles of juice steeping, way too much shaking. Half has the old biscuit in it, may have to toss them and start my long term steeping over. That's alot of money to waste.
The fruits in November order taste like normal, mixing testers of all bakery flavours in December order, more mixing more ******g shaking.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Well just got off phone with supplier and they have had no others reporting problems with biscuit.
They were quite concerned and want me to phone them with the results of my testers, I don't want to name supplier until I figure this out as I don't think that's fair.
I haven't dismissed any of ideas people responded with so here's what I've decided.
- taking a break from vaping anything with biscuit in it for a week to reset again taste buds.
-check testers I mixed yesterday next weekend and report results to supplier.
-order biscuit from a different supplier to compare.... going to be expensive as won't be ordering enough for free shipping but seems like money well spent.

It's so frustrating last night I was so frustrated I wanted a smoke. The addiction after 45 years of smoking just hides waiting for the right time to try to reassert itself and take over. Guess that's why so many I know after being tobacco free for x number of years end up in active addiction again. Good thing I have lots of fruits n cream to vape and a few new fruits n creams to take my mind of the #&@_- biscuit issue.
Ty everyone n have a great day

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Well just got off phone with supplier and they have had no others reporting problems with biscuit.
They were quite concerned and want me to phone them with the results of my testers, I don't want to name supplier until I figure this out as I don't think that's fair.
I like that they seem concerned about the issues and wish to stay actively involved. I think it is respectful, and commendable, that you are reserving naming them until this is resolved one way or another. However, upon resolution, I hope you will consider naming them... either for kudos to a company that others may want to do business with; or as one to avoid. If results remain inconclusive; then I can see leaving them nameless.
I haven't dismissed any of ideas people responded with so here's what I've decided.
- taking a break from vaping anything with biscuit in it for a week to reset again taste buds.
I don't know if you have ever tried vaping unflavored e-liquid; but this might be a good option for you right now if you are thinking this might be related to flavor fatigue. It isn't anything that makes a person say Wow!," but it satisfies the nic cravings, and it allows the taste buds to calm down.

I made some over a year ago (out of desperation), when nothing was sounding good, and surprisingly found it to be quite pleasant. It now makes up about 80% (or more) of my vaping routine. It is fast, easy, and inexpensive. And the best part is; my palate is never overtaxed by being bombarded by a constant parade of intense flavors.

I understand that every person is different, and this may not be the solution for you, but it worked for me and I thought I would share it.:)
-check testers I mixed yesterday next weekend and report results to supplier.
I personally would be inclined to give those testers a brief vape (before taking a biscuit break) just so I would have a rough benchmark for "after-break" comparison. It might also help to confime/deny flavor fatigue, If it is fatigue; it "should"(?) affect the new biscuit in a similar manner to the older biscuit. If it does not; I would be skeptical that is taste bud related. Just a thought... ;)
-order biscuit from a different supplier to compare.... going to be expensive as won't be ordering enough for free shipping but seems like money well spent.
Yes, it will be comparatively expensive; but it should still be cheaper than returning to smoking.:shock: Keeping things in perspective might help take the sting out of the purchase price.:D

Also, this could wait until you have finished your evaluation of the replacement biscuit you are already working with. Only then, if the replacement product fails as well, would you benefit from trying from a different supplier. The benefit of doing it now, is that it will shorten the overall time frame, of ruling out all possibilities. My opinion anyway.:rolleyes:
It's so frustrating last night I was so frustrated I wanted a smoke. The addiction after 45 years of smoking just hides waiting for the right time to try to reassert itself and take over.
I am sorry this is such a stress point for you. Perhaps you can try to make a positive opportunity out of this unwanted situation. Use it to explore new/different flavor profiles you have been wanting to explore. Or; try the unflavored I mentioned before.

And, if you do succumb to the coffin nail, don't give up, and don't despair. It is not an either/or situation. When I quit the final time, and moved to vaping; I didn't tell myself I was quitting, and I didn't even toss my last open pack of smokes. I did box up all my ashtrays, and lighters, and other smoking paraphernalia, because I didn't want to make it convenient to backslide; but I wasn't going to deny myself either. I never gave myself an ultimatum.

Six months or so, after beginning to vape exclusively, and too much alcohol involved :)facepalm:), I was aching to smoke so bad, that I lit one up. It reminded me of the first cigarette I ever smoked. It tasted nasty, made me dizzy, and was not a pleasant experience. Afterward, I felt queasy, I reeked to high heaven, and generally felt crappy (not to mention the self-inflicted guilt!). I did NOT want another one; and vaping was more appealing than ever.

This happened 2 or 3 more times of the course of the next 12 months, until the last time; when I lit one up, and it tasted Soooo bad (worse than ever; though their staleness may have had something to do with it:eek:). And, after a single drag, I put it out, tossed the remainder of that 18+ month-old pack, and have never been temped since. That was over 3 years ago.

I realize addiction is different for everybody; and I am NOT encouraging anyone to go out and light one up. I only share my own experience to offer hope to anyone who might have a moment of weakness. It does NOT have to be the end of the world.:D

I hope you can put your finger on the cause and hope you keep us in the loop.
Best wishes!:thumbs:

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Well gave in to the urge and had to test vape the testers. The new biscuit tastes fine. Will mix the above recipe again in the morning but will leave Caramel out as I realized that caramel is common to recipes having issues with and didn't do a tester on it. Mix tester in the morning. The other testers all seem o. k. compared with my notes of previous testers of them.
Tired and it's not a good idea to mix when tired.
Go for surgery in January or February and will know the exact date probably before Christmas and won't be mixing much for a few weeks after that.
Nothing too serious, ACL reconstruction, but will be basically bedridden and wacked on pain killers for a few weeks so doesn't sound like I'll be in any condition to mix for awhile after operation.
I also have Blueberry Pies and Pear Pies stepping so will add a bit of new biscuit to small testers of them to see if I can save them.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Well gave in to the urge and had to test vape the testers. The new biscuit tastes fine. Will mix the above recipe again in the morning but will leave Caramel out as I realized that caramel is common to recipes having issues with and didn't do a tester on it. Mix tester in the morning. The other testers all seem o. k. compared with my notes of previous testers of them.
Tired and it's not a good idea to mix when tired.
Go for surgery in January or February and will know the exact date probably before Christmas and won't be mixing much for a few weeks after that.
Nothing too serious, ACL reconstruction, but will be basically bedridden and wacked on pain killers for a few weeks so doesn't sound like I'll be in any condition to mix for awhile after operation.
I also have Blueberry Pies and Pear Pies stepping so will add a bit of new biscuit to small testers of them to see if I can save them.
Yep. It is important to look at ALL ingredients used when you think you are having flavor issues. I try to encourage individual concentrate testing (single flavor mixes) when a recipe, or concentrate, is in question.
They may not be particularly interesting, or enjoyable, as a complex recipe is; but it is the only sure way that I know of, to isolate and identify, the offending ingredient.

On more than one occasion, I have accused one flavor concentrate of being the problem, only to discover it was a different one.

I wish you a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery.

• Agree
Reactions: Fog n Vape

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Yep. It is important to look at ALL ingredients used when you think you are having flavor issues. I try to encourage individual concentrate testing (single flavor mixes) when a recipe, or concentrate, is in question.
They may not be particularly interesting, or enjoyable, as a complex recipe is; but it is the only sure way that I know of, to isolate and identify, the offending ingredient.

On more than one occasion, I have accused one flavor concentrate of being the problem, only to discover it was a different one.

I wish you a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery.

Also this is an example of why notes are so important. To be able to refer back to previous testers then I know what they tasted like on various days of steeping.

• Agree
Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread