Teach me about genises types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
So I have been looking into some of the older threads and everybody had gennie back then it seems. So it kinda peeked my interest into wanting to try one out because it's a side of vaping that I haven't tried besides old school dripping on stripped cartos. Anyways, basically I know nothing of gennies, especially as far as how to build them. I prefer hot vapes with lots of flavor. Don't care about clouds. If I want clouds I'll use my comp rdas but for now I'm in search of flavor. So what would be a great gennie for flavor. The shop by me has a kraken clone for 20 which I figure is not bad to try them out and if I like it then get an authentic. But if there's any other suggestion then I'm open as there are other gennies that they have at the shop.

Reactions: thetrucker

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Gennys aren't a hot vape. Can be warm, but not hot. If it is flavour you are after, go with the Sat22 or the Nahualon. They are easy to set up. Reduced chamber top cap lends to a dense, nice flavour.
Watch tutorials. There is a series of tutorials done by a Korean gentleman. Jong Yeol Kim. He doesn't speak in the videos. Best tutorials imo.
Be prepared to tinker.
Buena Suerte

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
So no hot. I would have figured with the tiny air holes it would be hot. I love to tinker withy vape stuff. So what about the build specs what would be a got place to start as far as what guage, how many wraps, target resistance etc...
Basic genny singlecoil would be to use something like 0.32mm or 0.4mm kanthal, and try to get it to about 0.8ohms. As far as setting them up, be prepared to get a butane torch to oxidize the mesh. You need to pulse the coil so there's no hotspots anywhere in the coil and you have to wrap the coils really really tight to the mesh log you've oxidized.

There are tons of tutorials on youtube, so check those out before buying a genesis-atty. They are a lot of work, but they produce best flavour out there

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
To add to Lova's comment, if you do get a genny w a reduced chamber, you will have limited real-estate to play in. Setting up mesh gennies initially involves some 'shorting-out' during the pulsing out of the coil. With a mech mod, this isn't a problem.
With tc, i have no idea how one would set up a genny for tc. I think people are doing it, and it is being discussed in other threads

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
Ok so I don't think any of the shops near me sell mesh at all. I should be able to get some from a hardware store though right? And I know to get stainless and not galvanized. And as far as wrapping the coil around the wick tightly.... I have read some people say tightly some not too tightly and some such as in some of your older post @Annie56 say that the outside wraps should be tight and inner wraps less tight. Why all the variances. I don't care for temp control. I messed with it a little bit a few months ago on several devices including dna 200's and didn't like it. If I want less heat or more heat I will adjust the wattage or on a mech build a different coil. And on shorting out you mean finding hot spots right?

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Ok so I don't think any of the shops near me sell mesh at all. I should be able to get some from a hardware store though right? And I know to get stainless and not galvanized. And as far as wrapping the coil around the wick tightly.... I have read some people say tightly some not too tightly and some such as in some of your older post @Annie56 say that the outside wraps should be tight and inner wraps less tight. Why all the variances. I don't care for temp control. I messed with it a little bit a few months ago on several devices including dna 200's and didn't like it. If I want less heat or more heat I will adjust the wattage or on a mech build a different coil. And on shorting out you mean finding hot spots right?
DO NOT get mesh or wire from the hardware store. Do NOT use copper mesh, or wire, or anything galvanised!!!!
DO get your mesh and wire from either a vape store or on line. If you are not in North America, alot of sites ship international. Many gennys, not all--come with a sampler square of mesh to get you started.
Wait for the proper materials to arrive. Just use your other vapes for now.
Peace

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Your tightness of coil is something that youll have to play around with alot. Different ways of setting up gennys--PetarK, handwrapping, wrap on the atty, wrap off the atty.No gaps, between wick and wire.
Just start playing around with one. Use a partially discharged battery to pulse the coil,work out shorts. Hot legs=loose wrap or not enough contact. May need to rewrap

Reactions: Vaslovik

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Annie's right, get the right materials from the right sources. Building gennies right is an art, don't cut corners.

Stainless Steel Mesh
Vape Mesh

I'd recommend getting a square foot to start with, and work on rolling wicks until you can do it well. This seems a stumbling block for many, who can't roll a mesh wick to save their lives. Some can, some can't. Don't know why, they just can't. It might take you a few tries, don't get discouraged.

For your coils you will need to work out what gauge wire you want to use. 28 is a good starting point, I currently use 26. I get it here:

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?t1=kanthal

If you are looking for a hot vape that's not what gennies are about, and I would not recommend coiling them hotter low sub-ohm. You may want to start with a genny that's inexpensive and easy to build, like the RSST. You can get one with a Pyrex tank for $10.

Just play around with it, and remember YouTube is your friend :)

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
To add to Lova's comment, if you do get a genny w a reduced chamber, you will have limited real-estate to play in. Setting up mesh gennies initially involves some 'shorting-out' during the pulsing out of the coil. With a mech mod, this isn't a problem.
With tc, i have no idea how one would set up a genny for tc. I think people are doing it, and it is being discussed in other threads

I used pure nickel ni200 coil wire and made a Coil for my RSST and fired it with my Eleaf Istick 60 watt model on the temp control setting of 450 degrees and it

never gave me a dry hit----I used 8 wraps and it seemed to work great......

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
@Annie56 I know not to use anything besides ss for the mesh. I was just wondering if they would have SD mesh because I'm wanting to pick up the gunny from the store to day and none of the ones they have come with mesh or anything else. They are discounted to reflect that though, but I don't know for sure but highly doubt the too shops by me have ss mesh. Also what would be a good mesh number for higher vg juices. The lowest vg I use is the house vg from one of my b&m's and that is even at 70 vg.

Also I see some people use cable and mesh. Does this help with wicking? Or different flavor? Also if I am using just mesh how big of a square or whatever shape should I use. 2"x2"?

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
You asked me if you should get mesh and wire at a hardware store, and so i am going to assume that you know nothing.

You are probably not going to find mesh fabric at a hardware store. Not in the count that we use. Vaping supply stores and online sites are at least going to make sure that your mesh and wires are safe and clean from TOXIC METALS.

No hardware stores!!They do not make ss mesh materials for our use. I don't want you getting sick, or poisoned.

WHEN you get your mesh. From a VAPE store. You'll have to mess with it. 400 mesh for Aga, for ex--Maybe 2.5 or 3.0 inches. Look at the grain of fabric. Should run up and down, kinda like on denim jeans.
I know, sacrilege--but i don't bother making the crease anymore. And I'm still alive.

Really--the tutorials usually will give yoy a good 'starter build' they usually use 400 mesh on the vids.

Why all the variances?? Get your first genny, and start playing w it!! I wanna hear back from you in a month!!

Reactions: Vaslovik

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
@Annie56 Also if I am using just mesh how big of a square or whatever shape should I use. 2"x2"?

The size of mesh you start with depends on how deep your genny is, how big your wick hole is, and how big you intend to make your coil, if you are using the PetarK method. I use a drill bit to wind my coils on, and a piece of mesh cut to 60mm x 35mm works just dandy for that in a DID. You have to figure out what size piece of mesh you will need for whatever genny you end up with.

As for winding your coil, there's more than one way to do that. You can wind your coil directly onto your wick, and that works for some, or you can use the PetarK method winding it on a drill bit, or a Q-tip stick which I've done. Bear in mind that stiffer thicker wire will not be so easy to wind onto the wick, and will likely result in a rather ugly coil that shorts and has hot legs, and could warp your wick out of shape too. I heartily recommend the PetarK method as it has served me so very well.

Please do let us know what genny you get, and post pics of your builds. We can help :)

Last edited:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I'm new enough to Gennies & Rope & Mesh to remember My 1st goes...(on an FT DID/DUD clone..) All good advice above so I'll just add:- 1. Oxidise your mesh thoroughly! 2. Wrapping a coil around a floppy, irregular diameter mesh wick drove Me MENTAL! I found it much easier to roll a wick to fit the coil.
Use nothing but now...G/L!

Reactions: Annie56

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
@Annie56 you would be correct. I don't know anything about gennies. I mean I'm pretty good at making coils and what not on my drippers and decent with my goblin mini rba. But those are different to a gennie and seemingly are a million times easier to build. I watched one of the videos that Korean guy did. Man he is meticulous but your right about it being a good tutorial. Just watch and pay attention. It was the one where he has a origen genny v2 with dual micro coils and he used cotton. That thing put out a lot of vapor, more than I expected. If I do end up liking gennies I think I will buy an origen as I have never heard anything bad about norberts stuff and I really like the origen rda.

@Vaslovik the Petar k method seems like it will be easier to me as that is pretty much the same as building on a dripper. I am thinking of getting a kraken clone for now just to see how I like it but there are other options at the store that has them. I'm probably going to go in a few hours and pick it up on my lunch break and then waste the rest of my shift trying to build it. Hopefully they do have some mesh or else I will have to use freaking cotton until I can get some. I know it's sacrilegious to some of you guys to use cotton in a genny but it will have to do until I get mesh in the mail if the shop doesn't have any.

What would be a good target resistance to use on mech? I have several guages available and am planning on using 28g to start at.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
@Annie56 you would be correct. I don't know anything about gennies. I mean I'm pretty good at making coils and what not on my drippers and decent with my goblin mini rba. But those are different to a gennie and seemingly are a million times easier to build. I watched one of the videos that Korean guy did. Man he is meticulous but your right about it being a good tutorial. Just watch and pay attention. It was the one where he has a origen genny v2 with dual micro coils and he used cotton. That thing put out a lot of vapor, more than I expected. If I do end up liking gennies I think I will buy an origen as I have never heard anything bad about norberts stuff and I really like the origen rda.

@Vaslovik the Petar k method seems like it will be easier to me as that is pretty much the same as building on a dripper. I am thinking of getting a kraken clone for now just to see how I like it but there are other options at the store that has them. I'm probably going to go in a few hours and pick it up on my lunch break and then waste the rest of my shift trying to build it. Hopefully they do have some mesh or else I will have to use freaking cotton until I can get some. I know it's sacrilegious to some of you guys to use cotton in a genny but it will have to do until I get mesh in the mail if the shop doesn't have any.

What would be a good target resistance to use on mech? I have several guages available and am planning on using 28g to start at.

Okay well I wish you all the best with that Kraken clone, I have two authentics and I love them, but I love my DID's more. You should be able to put together a good build with a little effort. The resistance you use will depend on what kind of vape you are looking to get, I vape at .7 ohm using 26 kanthal in a 6/5 wrap over 400 mesh, and that works well for me, though your own tastes may be different.

Do you have an Ohms meter? You will want that. What gauge kanthal will you be using? BTW, using cotton in a genny isn't sacrilege, it's heresy. There's a difference :)

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
@Vaslovik so why makes the did better than the kraken to you. Because the shop I will be going to also has one of those. And yes I do have several ohm meters and test the same build on multiple meters just in case one is malfunctioning. I might use the same build your running as I usually use 26 guage and have plenty of that to mess around with and .7 ohms sounds like a good place to start.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Okay, well I suppose it's just a matter of personal preference, although I am talking about authentics, not clones. I've never used a clone of either the Kraken or the DID, so I can't really speak to the differences, and I can't say how well either clone would work. As for the authentics, I just like the DID better, partly because I got it's from MMV, where I got my Poldiacs, and they make very fine products, and partly because it's the granddaddy of gennies, and I'm a real old school kinda girl :)

Last edited:

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013

I just want you to vape safe!!!
The Korean gentleman's really good, isn't he??! And he displays on camera the dimensions of his mesh and kanthal gauges. I watched his tutorial couple days ago on a BF99 that he fitted w a mesh u wick

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
Well i didn't get a genny today. The shop tried to sell me one and the guy building it for me went to put it on my mod and it got cross threaded because it was a cheap freaking clone I guess and ruined the threads on my new jux mod. So now I have to get that fixed first before I drop money on a genny. Also one of the guys that works at the shopping was giving me crap for wanting to try a genny so that kinda left a bad taste in my mouth which sucks because I really liked that shop and there juice selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread