Teach me about genises types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Wow, that sucks! So the guy gave you crap for wanting to try a genny? I mean, no matter what you vape there is someone who will bag on you for it, but that's still pretty raw. Maybe after they messed up your mech and were rude to you like that you'd want to look elsewhere for service? If he has a problem with gennies I wouldn't trust him to build one for me, or put it on my mech... Just sayin...

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I agree w Vaslovik, that sucks that the shop employee janked up your 510 connection.
I get all my gear online, as none of the brick and mortar stores carry what i want.
VividSmoke carries some really nice clones. I have a ChiYou clone that i vape my gennys on. But i like setting them up on the Astro. The Astro's button is light and springy, and i can kind of 'soft-peddle' how much power the coil gets during the pulsing out. Vaslovik mentioned the pyrex Rsst. And if you can get one, and some mesh online, give it a coil. 30g, or 28g kan is a good place to start getting a feel for the 'genny experience'
Kidney Puncher--mesh and wires. My Vapor Store has alot of attys. If you are located in US

Smellybelly

Sep 29, 2015
Yeah I would imagine that would not want to give me crap for wanting to buy something from them. But I went to my other shop that I go to and like better but they only have an aga t and the one guy that knows how to build them wasn't there tonight so I'll be back on Thursday to pick it up. I live in orlando and there's a pretty decent vape community here and lots of stores but some of them have iffy business practices and others have high markups and what not. But the main I go to that only has the aga is a solid store and I have never had an issue from them and all are really pretty knowledgeable plus they have a bar which is pretty nice. The other one I really only go to as the have great premium juices and they are closer to me but they also have the larger selection of gennies too but oh well. Also I don't really like to buy online. I like to be able to inspect the items in hand before I buy. But I might have to in this case.

Reactions: Annie56

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah I would imagine that would not want to give me crap for wanting to buy something from them. But I went to my other shop that I go to and like better but they only have an aga t and the one guy that knows how to build them wasn't there tonight so I'll be back on Thursday to pick it up.

The AGA-T, ummm.... My first genny was an AGA-T2, and I bought it against the advice of a friend who really knew his stuff, and told me to get an RSST. Time proved him right. The AGA-T2 proved a rather cantankerous device, harder to build, and the thumbscrews on the center post would come loose under heat and use all the time. Eventually I got an RSST, and was much happier with it. Spring loaded capture on the center post, insulated wick hole, adjustable center post, etc. It has nice features the AGA-T2 lacks, is easier to build on, and just works better.

The AGA-T2 was not fun, but after building on that thing I could build on anything. When you get your AGA-T, cruise on over to Kidney Puncher and get yourself an RSST:

Smoktech RSST RBA

While you are struggling with the AGA-T your RSST will be on it's way.
Ten bucks, that's all. You will not be sorry :)

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
There's a lot of hate against gennies by those who can't make them work properly. If you get a mesh wick right, you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner tasting vape. If you don't get it right, you'll want to rip your hair out... and be hard pressed to find a more horrible tasting vape ;)

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
There's a lot of hate against gennies by those who can't make them work properly. If you get a mesh wick right, you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner tasting vape. If you don't get it right, you'll want to rip your hair out... and be hard pressed to find a more horrible tasting vape ;)

Boy you got that right! There is a lot of hate against gennies, and it's usually coming from those who can't build one right to save their lives, and that usually boils down to the fact that they can't roll a mesh wick for beans for whatever reason. I suspect they just want to quickly roll it up in a very sloppy fashion and expect it to work, and when it doesn't the whole thing is junk and trash and they revile it all up and down. GrimGreen on YouTube falls into this category, he told me mesh was pure trash and that he tried over 40 times to roll a wick and they were all crap. Well, Dooooood, you just can't roll a wick!

When I started rolling wicks I sat down and put some serious effort and attention into it, working towards getting a nice neatly rolled wick that looked like a mesh rod, with the ends even, and the outside edge straight too. It really didn't take me long at all to learn how to roll up good mesh wicks, and I really have to wonder at those who can't do it at all, regardless of how many tries they make. Something just isn't right there, and I suspect it's that they are just sloppy about it and unwilling to put anything of themselves into it.

Last edited:

SteamBlower

Nov 25, 2015
Gennies are not for quitters. My first was a Nextgen, it looked so easy on youtube, it almost drove me to insanity. But I refused to give up, and I prevailed. The thing with gennies is that they just keep getting better, even after you have learned to set them up, as you gain experience with building them. Now they are all I vape. Would never recommend a Nexgen to a beginner though:)

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I agree, gennies are not for quitters, or for those who just want to buy a coil and screw it into their atty, giving control of their vape to someone else and paying them for it too. It takes effort and concentration to learn how to build them right, and some just aren't willing to expend that. A real shame since the return on the investment is awesome.

Reactions: thetrucker

cooper99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
montreal qc canada
Gennies are not for quitters. My first was a Nextgen, it looked so easy on youtube, it almost drove me to insanity. But I refused to give up, and I prevailed. The thing with gennies is that they just keep getting better, even after you have learned to set them up, as you gain experience with building them. Now they are all I vape. Would never recommend a Nexgen to a beginner though:)

My experience with the NextGen is kinda the opposite to yours. I find it the easiest of my gennies to set up and get working right. Mesh rolled around the little rod always comes out perfect, a no-brainer really. Then rolling the wire around that isn't all that difficult either. The only challenging part is to work out the hot legs, if any. A little pulsing and adjusting the spacing of the wire and you're usually good to go.

My favorite coiling methods are twisted 32 gauge kanthal which produces lots of vapor and gives great flavor. I'm also using Ni ribbon wire and Ti in TC mode and they work well for me too.

I'm using the NextGens almost exclusively and can't see myself using anything else for now. I do have some Nextiny's in the mail and if they're as good for me as my NextGen's I'll be very happy indeed. I'll report back when they arrive and give my first impressions.

Never, ever would I have thought I'd come to this point where I'm only using these little gems but can't really beat the pleasure I get from using them. :)

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I never cared for the tobacco in the cans. My family came here to the states from the Ukraine. I am descended from leather toolers/tailors. I also make lace, by tatting. Oddly enough, i hate wearing lace. So coiling genny for me, is alot like weaving and sewing. Coiling any ecig, is like a 'sewing' motion, for me.

cooper99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2014
montreal qc canada
Cooper99. I agree with you, now that I know the nexgen it's the fastest to set up. But I think a traditional setup would have been easier to begin with. My first mistake with the nextgen was to use the mesh that came with it:)

I tossed the mesh that came with them. Heard ho-hum remarks about it so why bother. And yes mine are clones as well. For the price of them on FT you could get a dozen compared to the authentic <IF> you could get your hands on one. When I got my first it quickly became my #1 favorite atty so.... four more followed and they're all in use. For my style of vaping the airflow is just right. I get more than enough vapor and four mls. of juice is pretty good for the size. What's not to like?

Really anxious for the Nextiny's to arrive here as I've only heard positive reviews about them. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to perform as I hope although the bar for me is set pretty high.:) I'm in a good place vaping-wise as I've found what works for me and works well.

Last edited:

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Read through this whole thread, have some thoughts.

First of all, I can't believe there are so many users on here who have local shops that carry gennies in them - clones or otherwise. Not once - ever - have I seen anything genesis-related in any shop. I only go to a shop when I need a battery or some kind of quick-fix juice while I'm waiting on a real order from an online vendor.

I've also been given guff about using gennies in a vape shop. Guy at the local vape store around here, in good humor, calls me 'hybrid dude' because i'm never without one and I'm the only person who shops at his place that he's ever seen use one. But his employee was ....-talking my not buying a Snow Wolf and Kennedy because that's "real vaping." I laughed all the way out the door!

Kim is a wonderful person to watch on YouTube. I used to have a lot of diagram schematics he'd drawn up with the *specific* lengths, weaves of mesh and gauges, wraps of wire to make the perfect wicks for many different devices.

Once you 'get' genesis vaping, you'll never go back. I have an army of different devices, all of which I use plenty. I only have three drippers anymore, the Veritas, Dogbone and the Ology.

@Smellybelly , vaping a dual coil, dual mesh build on my iHybrid Synthesis right now. I've been stuck on this device for days.
Recently reworked the dual build in my Doc Dave Reactor as well. I'm STUCK on these two atties at the moment.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well only one vape store here in Cape Coma has any gennies, and they are gathering dust in a locked case that no one but me ever looked in. I got them to sell me an authentic Kraken for $80, which was a lot cheaper than the price tag. The staff there looks down on gennies and those who use them. I got snide remarks for vaping on my gennies there. After that I never went back again. I was only there to get the Kraken in the first place.

You are right about one thing, when I got to gennies early on in my vaping journey that was it. I had what I wanted and I am still satisfied with them. I tried a dripper back then, and just did not care for it at all and tossed it into the cigar box. A couple years later I gave it away to some kid at work. I have 14 gennies now, but have settled on the DID's and the Krakens for the most part.

No matter what you vape someone will give you crap for it, but it seems more so with gennies, because everyone is so very into the latest re-invention of the wheel and so proud of getting the latest whiz-bang gizmo-mod/atty with all the whistles, bells, and gimmicks. From where I sit the perfect vape was settled with the genny long long ago, and all this new stuff is just expensive fluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread