Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Mac, I think you single handed keep this thread alive. Keep up the good work. I don't make tensioned micro coils any more, but whatever works for you and the other TMC folks, right?

Thanks T, we try. Strain always works.

I never just made micro coils. My purpose for contributing some of the adaptations here in part is about encouraging all of you to help make using tension a viable path for rebuilding to those coming up. Realize we all can't but that's my goal, to enlist as many of you as possible. Strain is in everything. The approach overall is to make best use of it.

For myself, I build multiwire but consider most winds woefully inefficient for reasons I've talked about here. For the quick and dirty I can do anything you can do with fat wire singles. If I had the time I'd dabble more in wire art and enjoy the fun so many of you are having with it. There are varieties I definitely enjoy.

For the moment I continue my original mission to help get new vapers to a dependable vape quickly. We need as many as possible to join us.

Appreciate the nod T. Hope you're doing well and survive this mess.

Best of luck. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Lifted from the thread to refer users…What are some flavors that direct lung hit better? | Post #3.

I guess I've always been a direct to lung person.
I used to vape,but before sub ohm equipment…Now that vapor production has increased 10 fold I'm find my old favorites way too bright and a bit too harsh in flavor…

Know it may sound counterintuitive but I found that diluting liquids helped me find the happy place many times. Your blending idea is sound. But you lose flavor unless you can also graduate that. So I started ordering from juice houses that offered extra flavor drops as well as blending nic levels of a given flavor. Like 12mg and 6mg (with extra flavor drops) while adding some straight VG to the mix to tweak it. Several good sources among ECF vendors. DIY flavor additions of the elements you like (if you know them) can sometimes fill the gaps left by dilution if you can live with what is occasionally a change of character in the recipe.

But the best way I've found to isolate the cause of the vape that bites is being able to build a stable efficient straight wire build at your res target as a baseline. Most folks are building (or running) high-diffusion coils that when pushed with power for greater density are going to sour the vape as overly hot. Heat has a huge effect on flavor. My long experience and opinion gained at hard labor. Bottom line is…it may not be the nic or harshness of the recipe. If a straight up cotton build minimizes thermal overload and gets you closer to flavorful chuckyness it may be time to reassess the building goals.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: muzichead

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I'd like to give the DIY tanks ano dripping a try.
    I have been looking at Kayfun V5 clone.Whether it's a good starting point I'm not sure.
    Im not sure if one can drop kayfun or if I just need a type of crown to replace tank.
    There was also a Taifun GT 2 RTA and a GS version 2 that was recommended but the kayfun seemed to get better reviews.Theyre the clones not the original.
    I'm using a eleaf pico and it seems to be a good mod,price was great.
    Can someone suggest a good atomizer or tank for DIY ?
    I'm not into blowing huge clouds but for flavor,effect and my main goal is quit using analogs.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 11, 2013
    Ω England Ω
    If i had to recommend an rda to anyone i would suggest the velocity mini, its easy to install coils on, has great flavour and ive never had one break on me.
    RDTA wise i have a Ijoy Limitless which i highly recommend.
    Maybe wait and see what Mac or others recommend before pulling the trigger, is best to get a few suggestions :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    …Can someone suggest a good atomizer or tank for DIY ?
    I'm not into blowing huge clouds but for flavor,effect and my main goal is quit using analogs.

If i had to recommend an rda to anyone i would suggest the velocity mini, its easy to install coils on, has great flavour and ive never had one break on me.
    Maybe wait and see what Mac or others recommend before pulling the trigger, is best to get a few suggestions :)

Second that slip. Reduced chamber and great airflow. I'd also recommend about the biggest sleeper for flavor and overall production…an authentic!…presently at a redic price here…while it lasts…AUTHENITIC 454 Big Block RDA By Kryptonite Vapor *CLOSEOUT* - 101 Vape.

I've recently made this suggestion to a number of folks who took me up on it. Got it, built it and agreed it's about one of the finest examples of US RDA engineering. Surprised there are some left. Which reminds me I'd better drop the card on my current cart there.

Good luck all. :)

p.s. No I don't rep for 'em. But I've met the maker. Get the velocity too if you can! Well worth it for both. See me here on this thread, as I'm glad to help on the 454 vertical's for about the best flavor build you may find.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Ill probably get a big block but I can't find a velocity and big block from the same vendor so for now I'll get the big block,some wire,cotton and Ill need some ceramic tweezers.

I'm not sure what type Ni,Ti,SS or kanthal or what gauge to get for single strand coils.
    What gauges and wick type may cover the more flavorful ohm range?
    Can someone suggest a gauge and wick type or brand to get one started winding single strand coils?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    What are you running Rob? If a variable, ideally you want to end up with vertical duals. And they're easy in the 454. But I like to start new drippers on a single. I really recommend learning with 25 AWG on a dripper. Once you have termination down and have run a few stable builds then doing a tank with a smaller deck will be easier. It's a versatile guage that'll keep you above .5Ω to start but can easily transition lower at 7-wraps to some excellent production. Eventually as you get used to the warmth, you'll want 24awg. The 25 guage singles go into a closed tank like the Subtank or better directly. So you'll be ready for that and know what to expect for flavor.

Kidney Puncher has both guages and I'd go with enough to get a hard spool. Lower line lengths may come on soft or mini-spools and you can't wind on those. Why? I teach a technique that'll let you make a perfect coil in seconds that will oxidize (and set) with a few pulses at low voltage. You can start with an ordinary screwdriver but I describe other tools here.

Front page of my blog graphs the temperature targets we'll talk about…MacTechVpr's Tensioned Rebuild Central | E-Cigarette Forum. I vape at 45W variable, 60W mech and up. Sometimes cooler with some tanks and juices.

A tensioned microcoil will run at least the equiv of .1-.2Ω cooler so you can wind to a lower res getting higher vaporization with the same wattage. So 17.5W will seem cooler than you might see with a standard spaced or compressed wind. You're actually achieving more efficient conversion to vapor…and of flavor! If you want to see even more production you can then easily add watts on a box. On a mech, comfortably drop to even lower ohms. Strain is a great tool to explore the margins of wire capacity.

So please consider doing a Kanthal tensioned contact coil wind. You will not regret it. Once successful you will easily see the advantages compared to spaced winds and alternative wire in terms of temperature concentration and efficiency. You'll also know then how to stabilize a spaced wind accurately through oxidation. There are occasions to use both. You'll need to pick up a pin vise for this and you'll find references to sources in this thread.

Give a shout when you're ready. Someone will pick up your post and lend a hand or give me a shout. I'm always working with peeps on and off the board.

p.s. I did order some more of those 454's. I can't help myself. LOL

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL

You see slip, this I how I keep getting set back. I've got about 10 orders in my cue at all times…and that includes the iJoy. But, but I couldn't resist that authentic Prime at under 50$, those 454's, a Cuboid and now godknows whatall in this shark fest.

Good luck! :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I'm using an istick pico 75 watts with melo tank.
    I have 30 feet of each 24 and 25 gauge of kindney puncher ready and I might get two big blocks.
    Is cotton used on big block?

Two big blocks with cotton on their way along with kidney puncher kenthal wire and cotton.

Now you're thinkin'. Could never have pulled this all off if I didn't have a backup. :D Good thing, this vendor ships quick.

Back at you after some shut eye.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I've been using Lightening Vapes. It's all I've used but seems good to me.

Huge supporter of the Protank and vaping since they started on eBay. We could use a few more good widget vendors, methinks. Hope good ones like LV make it.

@SLM, on the Kanthal, are the spools you're getting white "art wire" spools or the black hard plastic. Very hard to wind off the spool if not impossible with thick guages on the flacid plastic. Haven't ordered wire in a while so I haven't seen what ships of late. Let us know whatcha got.

Reactions: SLM

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I'm using an istick pico 75 watts with melo tank.
    I have 30 feet of each 24 and 25 gauge of kindney puncher ready and I might get two big blocks.
    Is cotton used on big block?

Mod range | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators and plug in your Eleaf†, maxV=9, maxW=75 to see the sweet spot for the above.
    Sub Ohm Vaping Chart for power variations.

For subtank singles on variables I'm building in the .5-.8Ω range. Mech's appreciably lower unless high power and big builds which sends me in the opposite direction for swaps to a box. Some starting possible variations...

25x2 7/7 2.778mm= 0.4158Ω
    25x2 8/8 2.778mm=0.4675Ω
    >25x2 9/9 2.75mm=0.5159Ω

Note that the above are "full wraps" (leads opposing) for center-post to ring binding.

The last could be wound on a 7/64" drill bit but at 2.75mm is the ideal production compression for 3mm Nextel ceramic fiber wicking. I highly recommend it for comparison. You could go larger Ø for more overall production (flavor and volume) or thinner (faster flow and diffusion, airier larger clouds). Dense production can be expanded with more airflow, AFC DT or draw style. I prefer this latter approach and shoot for highest density on most builds.

Is there different qualities of kanthal available or is one brand as good as the other?
    Kidney puncher site is a total pain,asks for way too much personal information and my computer keeps locking up on their site.
    I tried last night for an hour and today same thing.
    Is there another brand I can use?

Rob I'm not seeing the slowness or the 20 ? I've run into on new FDA format sites. Sorry to hear. I'm a privacy advocate. KP's one of the oldest and best regarded vendors. Hope they hang in.

Have seen that LV is now stocking 23/25 awg. Just posed the question earlier whether their spools are hard enough to use as winders. You can strain wind affixing wire (singles or multiples) in a vise, even under a leg, but its way easier to just pull it off the spool.

Think both KP and LV are sourcing us produced Kanthal. Less certain about the odd sizes. TEMCO certainly does. So I personally trust these three sources don't buy offshore Kanthal direct anymore even if licensed and on-spec, my concern is impurities. When I've seen an unusual performance I'd wager it's been the latter rather than spec variation. And that's troublesome.

For 454's trap leads under the ring and not at the post screws. And you can use any ole wick you wanna. It'll just work bro. Try using as much as you can fit in from the top without risking deformation. Leave it long to help pull it down gently. Leave a tuft as long as the wind on op and as much of the remaining leg will fill the will moderately fluffed out (or alternatively roll it into a fluffy "bun").

Good luck and hail us if you need. :)

p.s. @Robbert, there's no mod profile for your Eleaf yet. I plugged in the Eleaf 40W TC as likely the 75's an upgrade of this chipset and has sim performance characteristics.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SLM

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    The pico is 75watts,VW,VV I'm not sure,bypass mode,Ti-Ni-SS with temp setting,memory modes,a few coefficient for temp settings,and I may be forgetting a few things.Theres already an update,just haven't got to it.
    I've been using 25-40 watts through 0.5-0.25 ohms respectively.
    I may have to get a two cell mod for I'm going through 2 charges a day,cells get a bit warm and heat usually eats up battery life.
    Just out of curiosity have you found any pre made coils or tanks to be superior to others?
    Melo 3 seems to be good,but it's the only one Ive tried other than a cloned nautilus.
    Looks like I'll be getting the goods this weekend.
    You can call me Robert.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I butcher everybody's name here. Have always had trouble with names and proper nouns. Numbers, patterns and faces no prob. In fact annoyingly sticky at times. So you'll see me use initials a lot. Sorry. <shrug>

Let me know if you give the tensioned turn a try. You obviously have enough experience to reach a res/temp target. Love to help folks see how strain can help consecutively reliably nail that. Do give a shout if you do. Thx for joining us and moving beyond the loiter. :D

Good luck Rob. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread