Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Howdy! Long time..

Does anyone know.. Is RTD Vapor out of business? If they are, where does everyone get their batteries these days?

Hugs to all!!

Hugs back to you from the old days.

Besides RTD, I had great luck with illumn.com and lionwholesale.com.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
These pros here on this thread, got me wrapping tensioned micros years ago. Kind of seems like a lifetime ago now. I wrap 24ga Kanthal A1 to a precise .42 ohms every time. I am a tad senile these days, so I sometimes forget how many wraps I need. So, I have to count them. But, my eyes are failing, so that is easier said than done. But, I manage! :) I really do need to remember to write down my number of wraps! I keep saying that! There is that tad of senility again! :)

+1 on the failing eyes. Blind in one, blurred out of the other. The last couple of years that I vaped I only used mesh RDA's and RTA's that were very easy to build even if by brail. So the last time I wrapped any coils was years ago.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
+1 on the failing eyes. Blind in one, blurred out of the other. The last couple of years that I vaped I only used mesh RDA's and RTA's that were very easy to build even if by brail. So the last time I wrapped any coils was years ago.

I hear you brother. Blurry vision and parallax was and remains one of the main incentives for me to try to find a simpler and effective way to wind a proper coil consistently. Lots of lighting and magnification help but only so much. It's been indispensable for me for some years now. So I don't wind with the regularity that I used to. I go zen on the winds and count turns by feel with a needle. It's proven more accurate when the vision deceives. When conditions are fair I turn out as many as I can so I can try to focus on the mechanics of installation. Unused battery cases full of 'em for those really rainy days.

But the most challenging part is oxidation. You can't avoid monitoring the power level on a variable. Too much voltage or for too long or you'll undo the strain of the wind. Using my iPhone's magnification feature really helps inspect for spot gaps that may be impeding uniformity. You focus compression on that part of the coil 'till they're all pretty. Or as I mentioned earlier, can 'em if not worth the effort.

For my it's a labor of love for my vape. I know the consistency will get me the result I crave. I'm patient. Don't tax myself to frustration. Work on several of 'em at a time when I can. Eventually I get enough of a reserve level that I don't fret about it. I do it for the joy I know is coming. And now, for the certainty that I'll likely not be able to easily find a substitute, if at all.

Best of luck Spydro. Enjoy the vape. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
From what I read now it seems that I wasn't consistent cause I was putting tooooooo much tension and it's hard to control muscles and be consistent when u wind by hand so hard...
I used a 24ga kanthal wire and it felt like it would snap cause I did it with as much tension I could...
At least it seems I was doing few things right as to how to wind it lol.
I think I got the info I need now to be successful and I will try as many times until I get it right...I guess it wasn't that easy to get it first try for me...
I will try thicker wires also..
I am excited cause I feel like when I get this right it's gonna be the only wire I use...with the way it's heating it must perform great and no need to use anything else...plus it's future proof cause u will always be able to find round wire..
I am excited....I can feel the tension in the air right now...

I think you're getting the feel for the idea. Your wrists and fingers alone can exert an impressive amount of pressure. Just like at the bat or the range you want to exert that force at just the precise moment for accurate effect. It's more finesse than muscle for sure. A flow, not a blow.

When you get the wind down and start to observe the result of your consistency on oxidation you'll never look back. It becomes a practice towards perfection.

I'm here if you run into any obstacles.

Best of luck Super. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
These pros here on this thread, got me wrapping tensioned micros years ago. Kind of seems like a lifetime ago now. I wrap 24ga Kanthal A1 to a precise .42 ohms every time. I am a tad senile these days, so I sometimes forget how many wraps I need. So, I have to count them. But, my eyes are failing, so that is easier said than done. But, I manage! :) I really do need to remember to write down my number of wraps! I keep saying that! There is that tad of senility again! :)

If you're winding singles, steam-engine says it looks like…

turns=5 r=42 (.42Ω) awg id=2.4mm ll (lead length)=5.5 spacing=0

So Cucco, you are a pro. Repeatable resistance is half the battle.

Good luck always. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cucco

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I hear you brother. Blurry vision and parallax was and remains one of the main incentives for me to try to find a simpler and effective way to wind a proper coil consistently. Lots of lighting and magnification help but only so much. It's been indispensable for me for some years now. So I don't wind with the regularity that I used to. I go zen on the winds and count turns by feel with a needle. It's proven more accurate when the vision deceives. When conditions are fair I turn out as many as I can so I can try to focus on the mechanics of installation. Unused battery cases full of 'em for those really rainy days.

But the most challenging part is oxidation. You can't avoid monitoring the power level on a variable. Too much voltage or for too long or you'll undo the strain of the wind. Using my iPhone's magnification feature really helps inspect for spot gaps that may be impeding uniformity. You focus compression on that part of the coil 'till they're all pretty. Or as I mentioned earlier, can 'em if not worth the effort.

For my it's a labor of love for my vape. I know the consistency will get me the result I crave. I'm patient. Don't tax myself to frustration. Work on several of 'em at a time when I can. Eventually I get enough of a reserve level that I don't fret about it. I do it for the joy I know is coming. And now, for the certainty that I'll likely not be able to easily find a substitute, if at all.

Best of luck Spydro. Enjoy the vape. :)

Luckily I stopped vaping before my eyesight started getting much worse about 1.5 years ago.

This has become my motto...
neverforget-s.jpg

I live a solo life (by choice) and have some expiration dates due to several medical issues that can happen at any time without warning. But the one I know that does have a date that is not too far away now is the total loss of eyesight. With the loss of depth perception I stopped driving over a year ago, and pouring something into something else is a messy comedy act. When I watch the blurry news on TV with those news banners across the bottom I have to use one side of a pair of 8X32 binoculars to read the banners IF I can get them in focus enough. I've also noticed that all people on TV now days have four eyes, two noses and mouths. Using the computer has become a chore at best that also will soon reach it's expiration date. So I mostly sit in the dark in an easy chair listening to my 50's/60's music and remembering the good life I enjoyed. That's more than enough excitement for me now.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Luckily I stopped vaping before my eyesight started getting much worse about 1.5 years ago.

This has become my motto...
View attachment 936009
I live a solo life (by choice) and have some expiration dates due to several medical issues that can happen at any time without warning. But the one I know that does have a date that is not too far away now is the total loss of eyesight. With the loss of depth perception I stopped driving over a year ago, and pouring something into something else is a messy comedy act. When I watch the blurry news on TV with those news banners across the bottom I have to use one side of a pair of 8X32 binoculars to read the banners IF I can get them in focus enough. I've also noticed that all people on TV now days have four eyes, two noses and mouths. Using the computer has become a chore at best that also will soon reach it's expiration date. So I mostly sit in the dark in an easy chair listening to my 50's/60's music and remembering the good life I enjoyed. That's more than enough excitement for me now.

I've fared somewhat better by avoiding MD's and institution generally. Advice given to me long ago by my wise father who is sorely missed.

I echo some of your sentiments and wish you well Spy.

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Wishing you a great holiday season @MacTechVpr!

Thanks so much Leti. The best to you and yours. So happy Diana was able to get both microcoil threads back up for us. The inactivity has been a drain this year but were tryin to rev the engines back up.

Good luck and have a very merry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread