The News Keeps Saying E-Cigs Lead Teens to Smoke. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Let's face it. It's easy to villainize e-cigarettes right now. In fact, it's all the media is really doing because they know it will get clicks.

Bill Godshall and Mike Siegel have exposed a lot of the junk science out there, but there's apparently a new study that says teens are more likely to smoke after trying e-cigs.

Of course, I don't think ANYONE should smoke cigarettes, and I don't think anyone under the legal age should smoke e-cigs, but do you think this news is legit?

What's your opinion?

Talk to me!

Reactions: MyfriendKaren

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
I agree that nobody under legal age should vape or smoke, I don't believe vaping is a gateway to smoking as shown on the RCP report "Nicotine without smoke". I belief mayor news network's biggest contributors are big pharma and they are looking after the needs of their investors.

Reactions: LadyVapentine

MyfriendKaren

Verified Member
May 6, 2016
Let's face it. It's easy to villainize e-cigarettes right now. In fact, it's all the media is really doing because they know it will get clicks.

Bill Godshall and Mike Siegel have exposed a lot of the junk science out there, but there's apparently a new study that says teens are more likely to smoke after trying e-cigs.

Of course, I don't think ANYONE should smoke cigarettes, and I don't think anyone under the legal age should smoke e-cigs, but do you think this news is legit?

What's your opinion?

Talk to me!
Everything you just said is exactly how I feel. Especially the word villainizing. I don't find these "gateway" studies to be completely accurate. Yes keeping it away from minors is still important too.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Everything you just said is exactly how I feel. Especially the word villainizing. I don't find these "gateway" studies to be completely accurate. Yes keeping it away from minors is still important too.
I think the media scare tactics lead people to forget that vapers are 100% behind FAIR and REASONABLE regulations, including preventing sales to minors.

Reactions: MyfriendKaren

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
I don't see how it can lead to smoking... I never will. I mean, sure, some people LIKE to smoke and, they may even LIKE the way cigs taste. But that is a small few.... I wish some of these people would videotape peoples reactions trying an e-cig and then after trying the e-cig, a cigarette.
That's a good point, @ModGuyMike. If I had tried e-cigs when I was 18 instead of starting to smoke cigarettes, personally I don't think there would have been any way I would have downgraded to the stinkies.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
I agree that nobody under legal age should vape or smoke, I don't believe vaping is a gateway to smoking as shown on the RCP report "Nicotine without smoke". I belief mayor news network's biggest contributors are big pharma and they are looking after the needs of their investors.
Amen to ALL of that. I agree 100%. That's the thing. We're trying to unite to fight a massive force of BT, Big Pharma, the gov't and the mass media. We're scrappy, though, and I think we can do it.

MyfriendKaren

Verified Member
May 6, 2016
I think the media scare tactics lead people to forget that vapers are 100% behind FAIR and REASONABLE regulations, including preventing sales to minors.
Once again I agree with you completely. I think the majority (or at least most here) have been very on board with the protection of minors.

That's a good point, @ModGuyMike. If I had tried e-cigs when I was 18 instead of starting to smoke cigarettes, personally I don't think there would have been any way I would have downgraded to the stinkies.

If vaping was around when I was in College I would be a different person today! I started smoking due to being drunk one night and continued due to working retail. But if vaping was around i would have chosen a better route.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I think it is total BS because teen smoking has been on the decline for years and if teens want to smoke or vape they will find a way. I do not condone it and if a teen never smoked they should not start vaping. They should be old enough to purchase the products in the first place before ever trying them!

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    In most cases, it would be more fair to say vapor doesn't always stop people from smoking. A very few somehow wouldn't have smoked but more are kept from smoking. It's not always possible to determine who these would be in an alternate universe. It's also possible those moving on to smoking vaped only a very short time (I know a case), yet studies will still claim causation.

Reactions: KentA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread