Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitarslinger

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Central Illinois
Ok-so I took the RCA/switch mod and ran (stole) with it lol. (thanks guys)

I had a bunch of these little flashlights from Harbor Freight laying around, so tore one apart and hey!! Just remove the LED, cut it off the switch, then insert your connector and RCA male jack-no soldering needed at all. I did have to slightly bore out each end after I cut it to the right length. The cool thing is-they come in a variety of colors (only had red and silver on hand) and they also have the little insulator/support rubber piece like Dan proposed under the switch. Makes this Solitaire mod a piece of cake to build, and it vapes incredibly good, imo.

I'll try to post a pic:

Top is the finished product, middle is the first one I did, and bottom is what the light looks like to begin with.

Attachments

• Solitaire RCA Mod.JPG
    Solitaire RCA Mod.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Nietzsc

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
México

I had a bunch of these little flashlights from Harbor Freight laying around, so tore one apart and hey!! Just remove the LED, cut it off the switch, then insert your connector and RCA male jack-no soldering needed at all.

So if you used the same switch of the flashlight how come no soldering needed, how did you make the conection???

Thanks

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL

I had a bunch of these little flashlights from Harbor Freight laying around, so tore one apart and hey!! Just remove the LED, cut it off the switch, then insert your connector and RCA male jack-no soldering needed at all. I did have to slightly bore out each end after I cut it to the right length. The cool thing is-they come in a variety of colors (only had red and silver on hand) and they also have the little insulator/support rubber piece like Dan proposed under the switch. Makes this Solitaire mod a piece of cake to build, and it vapes incredibly good, imo.

I'll try to post a pic:

Top is the finished product, middle is the first one I did, and bottom is what the light looks like to begin with.

Nice find, have a link or SKU number from harbor freight?
Dan

Guitarslinger

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Central Illinois
Yep-that be the one...the battery sie of the switch has a little metal contact that folds over that your atty or male RCA makes contact with when you insert it (you need to measure and adjust/cut to length. You cut the LED wires off the LED, then fold what is left around the other send of the switch shim (rubber piece) so it looks just like the opposite side., then insert your atty contact or RCA. I press fit both in-as I said, you need to bore out the tube roughly 1/4" deep on each end after cutting to length-I also ground the threads off the male RCA jack to make it easier to insert. Sorry I can't post a pictorial atm-my camera is on vacation...

Basically, what you end up with is an entirely wireless mod-once you get the hang of it, this is probably the simplest and fastest mod I've done (talking about the Solitaire mod Scubatdan did).I also used a 1/4" tap to thread the light where the female RCA goes in-screws in and out perfectly.

Last edited:

nyx

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Austin, TX
rock on.. thanks for explaining that, sir.. time to make an order ;D

Yep-that be the one...the battery sie of the switch has a little metal contact that folds over that your atty or male RCA makes contact with when you insert it (you need to measure and adjust/cut to length. You cut the LED wires off the LED, then fold what is left around the other send of the switch shim (rubber piece) so it looks just like the opposite side., then insert your atty contact or RCA. I press fit both in-as I said, you need to bore out the tube roughly 1/4" deep on each end after cutting to length-I also ground the threads off the male RCA jack to make it easier to insert. Sorry I can't post a pictorial atm-my camera is on vacation...

Basically, what you end up with is an entirely wireless mod-once you get the hang of it, this is probably the simplest and fastest mod I've done (talking about the Solitaire mod Scubatdan did).I also used a 1/4" tap to thread the light where the female RCA goes in-screws in and out perfectly.

Guitarslinger

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Central Illinois
Looks good.

Once the glue dries, you may want to make a solder join between the inside of the RCA barrel and the outside of the atomizer connector.

Yea-it really just depends on how tight it fits. Thus far I've had really good luck just press fitting them in (I use a vice)-of course that depends on how accurate and straight you canget the hole in the jack. Apparently some people use a conductive epoxy glue as well, tho I'm not sure how well that will hold up if you get the nic juice on it.

nyx

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Austin, TX
having used epoxy on the first few of these RCA switches i made, i think it's worth taking your time on the drilling so that you can just get a good solid pressure fit instead of having to glue anything.. that way if anything goes bad (obviously i'm not talking about this more recent keychain LED conversion, but rather the metal phono plug in which you solder in your own tactile switch from Rat Shack or the like), you'll have a much easier time taking things apart again to fix it. i've had to use the Dremel cut wheel to shave the metal casing off of the first two 901 jacks i made 'cause the switches went bad and i had fit the switch & PCB into the barrel so tightly that--try as i might--i couldn't pull it out of the threaded side and had to start fresh from a new plug altogether.. i suck though, so hopefully y'all've been having better luck. ;b

ps: how odd is it that only the switches i use on my 3.7V mini-mag lite have fried, while the 801 switches i use on my (presumably 4-5V) unregulated pass-through are still rocking along just fine?

Last edited:

instantinlaw

ECF Veteran
After reading all 24 pages of this thread, all I can say is WOW!
I'm just going to wait for Dan's tutorial on the solderless mod of the mini flashlights before I order the parts and build one of these babies.
Thanks to warp1900 for the original post & to Dan for the refinements and to everyone else who contribuited to making this an easy thread to understand.
When I make my own I'll post it :)

Nietzsc

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
México
Well, first I would like to thank scubabatdan for his support and guidance, you're the man dan!! Still waiting for pics of that keychain flashlight...

I just have a question: for some reason once you assemble the whole thing you realize that it is not completely straight, so for those that already have made this mod it would be great to hear if you had the same result and maybe point out the solution :confused:

cause I thing that the atty connector is all the way down in the rca barrel, maybe the female rca going in to the light bulb hole?

Anyway, this thing rocks. As you see I made mine with a 901 connector and with this thing you get more vapor and throat hit compared to a regular battery. I own a 510 passthrough which uses the same battery, but somehow the mini mag mod manages to give more power, maybe is the switch, I don't know why, but I'm really happy with it.

I'm waiting for a deffective 510 atty replacement, so looking forward to give it a try with a 510.

This is very easy to make, it took me about 4 hours to finish, the thing that takes more time is to drill the rca barrel slowly till you get it right for the atty connector to fit.

The most difficult part for me was to find the right male rca, cause in my country radioshack doesn't sell the one you use, so the ones that you find here are either too big or too narrow/short. But here it is...

Quit4myKids

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
I've been using Warp's RCA connector on all my mods for quite a while, and it seems that if there were adapters available for all the atomizer connectors, it could even be adopted by some of the big battery resellers. What I don't like is the battery connectors that push out over time, solder points that eventually fail as the connector ends twist, hassle of putting them together, etc.... I envision a single machined outer casing with the RCA sleeve on one end, and atomizer threads on the other, with a knurled center portion to aid in tightening to the atomizer. Add a solid center post through an insulating bushing, and you get a foolproof adapter for your atomizer.

I'm looking into having some machined for myself for 801, 401, and perhaps 510, and would be willing to pursue machining other small adapters if folks are interested. I'm not going to be putting a switch into them, since it seems to me that lateral pressure on the adapter would eventually weaken the connector. If there is a demand, I may look into larger quantities, and resell them through folks already selling commercial mods.

Any interest, or thoughts what the price point should be? I don't have prices yet (technical drawings are still in the works), but I'm guessing $25 per unit is doable in larger quantities.

Quit4myKids

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Well, first I would like to thank scubabatdan for his support and guidance, you're the man dan!! Still waiting for pics of that keychain flashlight...

I just have a question: for some reason once you assemble the whole thing you realize that it is not completely straight, so for those that already have made this mod it would be great to hear if you had the same result and maybe point out the solution :confused:

cause I thing that the atty connector is all the way down in the rca barrel, maybe the female rca going in to the light bulb hole?

Anyway, this thing rocks. As you see I made mine with a 901 connector and with this thing you get more vapor and throat hit compared to a regular battery. I own a 510 passthrough which uses the same battery, but somehow the mini mag mod manages to give more power, maybe is the switch, I don't know why, but I'm really happy with it.

I'm waiting for a deffective 510 atty replacement, so looking forward to give it a try with a 510.

This is very easy to make, it took me about 4 hours to finish, the thing that takes more time is to drill the rca barrel slowly till you get it right for the atty connector to fit.

The most difficult part for me was to find the right male rca, cause in my country radioshack doesn't sell the one you use, so the ones that you find here are either too big or too narrow/short. But here it is...

Am still her just been busy, to much at once. I had the same problem until I got the 1/4 X 32 thread tap, when I thread the light receptical end for the female RCA jack it must be straight, or the result is a slightly cocked female RCA jack making the atty look crooked.
Hope that helps
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I've been using Warp's RCA connector on all my mods for quite a while, and it seems that if there were adapters available for all the atomizer connectors, it could even be adopted by some of the big battery resellers. What I don't like is the battery connectors that push out over time, solder points that eventually fail as the connector ends twist, hassle of putting them together, etc.... I envision a single machined outer casing with the RCA sleeve on one end, and atomizer threads on the other, with a knurled center portion to aid in tightening to the atomizer. Add a solid center post through an insulating bushing, and you get a foolproof adapter for your atomizer.

I'm looking into having some machined for myself for 801, 401, and perhaps 510, and would be willing to pursue machining other small adapters if folks are interested. I'm not going to be putting a switch into them, since it seems to me that lateral pressure on the adapter would eventually weaken the connector. If there is a demand, I may look into larger quantities, and resell them through folks already selling commercial mods.

Any interest, or thoughts what the price point should be? I don't have prices yet (technical drawings are still in the works), but I'm guessing $25 per unit is doable in larger quantities.

Quit4myKids

On the solid ones like this I have been using a piece of wire and tinning it, then I solder it into the RCA jacks center post. I then use a cartomizer rubber seal as a bushing, scew it all together and use a pair of dykes to clip the excess wire comming out of the battery connector, Then I use a minimal amount of solder in the hole to connect the inside of the battery connector and wire together. No more connection problems and no more fluid in the connector.
Would like to see a couple of prototypes :)
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread