www.gratefulvaper.com
thumbnail.jpg

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Hey folks. Been busy so I haven't been around much lately.

Love the purple glasses, Bov!!

On the subject of movies... anyone seen Hunger Games yet? I just finished reading the trilogy so I am dying to see it now. Thinking of dragging hubby out to the theater later for a matinee. Nascar is on tonight, so no chance of a Saturday date light. :lol:

ETA: date night, not date light. Duh.

Last edited:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
The movie was great. As usual they changed a few small things that ticked me off like it always does, and there were things that I thought were not explained as well as in the book. The actress who played Katniss (main character) was great but I thought she was a little too sweet to pull off the surly and defiant attitude she is supposed to have. I was surprised to see Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, and Donald Sutherland in the movie. I didn't know they were in it. Woody in particular I thought was great for his role. I don't know why I bothered to put on makeup before going though, I knew I would be crying. :lol: By the end of the movie all my makeup was gone, not just the eyes. I highly recommend the movie and the book. :)

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
I'm a big Steven King fan and some of the movies follow the books well and some not. I guess you can't expect too much from the translation.

It's a series instead of a movie, but Trueblood is another prime example. They go waaayyyyyy out in left field and somehow turn it at the end of the season to end up in roughly the same place as the book. Then they do the same thing the next year with the next book. After the disappointing lack of THE shower scene last season, I am dangerously close to losing interest.

THEY say they have to make changes or the readers wouldn't be interested, but everyone else always says the book is better. When are THEY gonna catch on???

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Checking in with hugs to my guys and gals!

Aunt Liz's funeral was today and as is the family tradition, we all go to a restaurant afterwards. Makes it an all day affair. The Graveside service will be Friday, so another day I'll not be around until late.

I'm still working on season 1 of the old series "Tour of Duty". It's so blasted hot upstairs in my room right now that I don't even want my computer pooting out it's hot air LOL!

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Fran, I don't know if it's a family thing or a Catholic thing (I'm not Catholic). Liz wanted to be cremated, but the family wanted to have a viewing too, so today was an open casket service. Her body will be cremated and the graveside service will be with her urn and ashes.

I don't mean to be disrespectful in my opinion, but seems like a great scam for the funeral home since you can't rent a casket...you buy it, but it isn't going in the ground. I guess some people need that open viewing for closure. I don't want my family to waste all that money on me.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Fran, I don't know if it's a family thing or a Catholic thing (I'm not Catholic). Liz wanted to be cremated, but the family wanted to have a viewing too, so today was an open casket service. Her body will be cremated and the graveside service will be with her urn and ashes.

I don't mean to be disrespectful in my opinion, but seems like a great scam for the funeral home since you can't rent a casket...you buy it, but it isn't going in the ground. I guess some people need that open viewing for closure. I don't want my family to waste all that money on me.

I'm sorry for your loss. I must have missed this earlier.

What a rip off. We recently were looking in to this for my sis in law's mom. The place we checked did rent a basic casket, with a removeable liner that they were cremated in. Still would have been over 5 grand, with only 1 service (visitation OR memorial svc..

Sis in law decided against it (I think with quite a bit of help from my very practical brother), since her mom had been in a nursing home for years and really didn't know many people around here. They decided to have a private final viewing (nothing done to her) with just immediate family, then held a memorial for her at home the following weekend. Not wanting to speak ill of the dead, but her mom was a bit selfish. She only had a very small insurance policy. She did not want to be cremated but when SIL told her years ago that was all her insurance would cover she refused to increase it while she could. So basically she wanted SIL and brother to cover the extra expense. I told her it's just a body, just a shell... when she is gone it really doesn't matter anymore.

sabre66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
vancouver bc
Devout catholics will refuse to be cremated something about if you all burnt up you cannot go to heaven. Since 1963 it has been allowed (see us Pope lovers can change). Me I want a Viking funeral the whole Valhalla and all and Led Zeppelin playing in the back ground.....wifey thinks I'm nuts

Bovina my heart felt sympathies to you and your family

Paul

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

That is such a major rip-off. They are going to bury the Urn?? I thought people just took those home or scattered the ashes at a chosen place.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 21, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    That is such a major rip-off. They are going to bury the Urn?? I thought people just took those home or scattered the ashes at a chosen place.

Some do, some choose cremation because it is cheaper but then bury the urn. I wouldn't want the urn sitting around myself, but I suppose that is a very personal choice.

Aforementioned sis in law still has her dad sitting in the closet cause she never did figure out what to do with him. :blush: She's going to look into burying both urns back home in Louisiana in a family plot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread