Triton Coil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
As you know, I am new at this.
When I need to change my first coil in a Triton tank are there any secrets I should know?
If it is full of liquid when the coil fails, do I just pour it out and change the coil.
Do I need to make sure there is no liquid in the tank that can get in the threads of the new coil when I put it in?
In other words, do I need to use a q-tip and make sure the post is dry, before screwing on a new coil?

Note: Mom is slowly getting the hang of pushing the button on the Triton battery. It's down from almost every time she forgets, to about a third of the time.
I keep a G6 handy for her just in case.

striderrblu

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Albany, NY, USA
If the coil fails, empty the tank and change it. I would probably wash the tank and let it dry out before putting in a new coil. Tribeca (if I recall this is what your mom vapes) gunks the coils more quickly than lighter liquids -- I usually cleaned my Triton coils and tanks with Tribeca like once a week (but I make distractions for myself).

Only change coils when the tank is empty and dry. Usually letting it dry overnight (air drying) is sufficient as long as you make sure the posts don't have droplets stuck in them (by blowing them out). Word of advice, if you do a vodka soak, don't soak it for more than an hour or so. I've had some Triton tanks degrade because of leaving them in vodka for too long.

I used to dry my threads and stuff really well with a q-tip if I was impatient and didn't leave my tank/coil assembly out to dry over night. I fixed that by buying more tanks and coils.

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
when my coils needed changing, I used to change them when the tank was near empty, I didn't bother rinsing the tanks myself, so the treads got wet and still worked for me, sometimes I would need to loosen and retighten the coils, and unscrewing the tip to refill the tank would sometimes loosen the coil, so always snug the coil tight before screwing the tip back on.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
"lighter" liquid not only has to do with color, but sweetness too.

darker and sweeter liquids leave more residue behind faster than others.

so while Tribeca is not as bad as say Caffe Mocha.... or something like that, it is 'worse" than Sub-Zero.

Myself... I change the coil about every 20ml to 30ml on Tribecca. and as long as liquid is bit below the post, you dont need to totally empty it out when you change a coil, if you have to. I do recommend though, changing out the tank when you change coils, and maybe even more frequently if you have to, cause of the "sludge" that slowly builds up in the bottom of a tank, that is just darker leftovers of older juice.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
Myself... I change the coil about every 20ml to 30ml on Tribecca. and as long as liquid is bit below the post, you dont need to totally empty it out when you change a coil, if you have to. I do recommend though, changing out the tank when you change coils, and maybe even more frequently if you have to, cause of the "sludge" that slowly builds up in the bottom of a tank, that is just darker leftovers of older juice.

I am assuming you mean that you clean the tank and not discard it? When I contacted Halo, they said that the tanks are not considered disposable and all I need to do is change coils. I do plan on cleaning the tanks regularly with water.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I think what Fallen meant is that you have 2 tanks, and when one tank needs a new coil, you go to the other tank to use. This lets you clean the old tank. If the juice has darkened, I'd toos the juice, but I try to vape it near empty.

It's really not easy to get a coil into a wet tank. And I find if I wet the ends of the wicks with a little saliva, I can get it in the tank easier. Make sure no strands get caught in the threads.

And make sure the silicon "condom" on the top of the coil is neither too far down (juice doesn't get to the coil) or too far up (causes flooding and gurgles. The bottom of the silicon should press the top wick just a little.

Yea for Mom and the button!!!!

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I recall for my 306 attys back in the day when I used to vape dark colored liquids or ones that would "Gunk up" I'd clean the heads out with a little bit of Everclear and a quick rinse in the sink. It actually should be part of atomizer maintenance when dealing with replaceable head tank systems as they often times run micro coils prone to getting gunked up rather quickly.

Hope this helps

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
And make sure the silicon "condom" on the top of the coil is neither too far down (juice doesn't get to the coil) or too far up (causes flooding and gurgles. The bottom of the silicon should press the top wick just a little.
/QUOTE]

I suppose that as long as there is good vapor, there is no need to adjust.
I believe I've read that I may need to cut off some of the silicon?? What about using the silicone condom from a previous working coil?
I would think these all use the same components and they would mostly all be the same.

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
when using it for how it was designed, you don't need to make any modifications.
it won't be obvious when to replace the coil either, it will gradually make less vapor
and might gradually become harder to draw.
you only realise when you change coils and fill the room with vapor how gunked up
your old coil was.

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
i'll clean my coils a few times before giving up on them. i drop them into some warm water with denture tablets, then a good rinse. since i have more coils than tanks, i can have a rotation of clean coils always ready.

When you clean the coils, do you remove the silicone cover so you can clean the wicks better?
Is there a problem to do that?
Perhaps a trick to get the cover off and on?

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
I changed coils and cleaned the used one. I had about 15ml of Tribeca through it.
Upon inspection before cleaning, the wicks were darkened at the point they went into the head and the coil area was black.
After dis-assembly, I rinsed the wicks and coil in running hot water. Patted dry with a paper towel. Soaked overnight in vodka. Patted dry again. Rinsed in distilled water and dried.
I can't see a bit of discoloration on the wicks and no gunk is visible on the coil.
I will find out how well I did when I change again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread