My new triton giving burnt taste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosvrah

Jan 11, 2015
West Virginia, U.S.
Hello Halons, I received my Triton kit two days ago and I love it. I have exclusively vaped Tribeca in it and never let the tank go below half-full. After reading about the center coil and how it shouldn't be over tightened, I've been careful when tightening it after refill where it always comes loose when removing the drip tip. Every time I've tried to use it this morning I get a nasty burnt taste. After removing the tip and making sure the center coil is not too tight, I am still getting the burnt taste. Even switched to a fully charged Triton battery. Is it possible that I need a new atty on the third day of use? Thanks

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The coil I get as tight as I can but the whole tank should only be hand tight on the battery.:) A couple of tips because vaping has a learning curve.;)

Tip #1 Remember to put it down between vapes. It's not a cig.:)

Tip #2 When you press the fire button the coil begins getting hot. If you will start your inhale a couple of seconds BEFORE you press the fire button then continue the inhale a couple of seconds AFTER you release the fire button. This will greatly extend the life of your coils. If you don't have the "air" flowing over a hot coil you just burn the juice.

Tip #3 Gently inhale or you'll force pull juice through the coil instead of allowing it to wick resulting in flooding or getting juice in your mouth.:)

You have probably burnt the coil, well actually a burnt coil is simply a coil that got too hot and caramelized the juice on the coil gunking it up. All coils will eventually get burnt but the above Tips will greatly reduce the caramelization that happens extending the life of your coils.:)

Welcome to Halo the Triton is a great device and Tribeca is one of my absolute favorite juices they make. Enjoy your vaping journey and congratulations on quitting the stinkies.:)

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
What Evie Luv said.

Plus, when it's said not to over-tighten a coil, let me say don't over-tighten anything. Tips, tanks, ketchup bottles, any screw, nut or bolt. Even the lug nuts on the wheels of cars. Tight yes. Over tight is a big problem. Too loos is a problem as well.

I put the coil in tight, but not too tight. As tight as you'd screw a pen together. Too tight and the pen breaks. Too tight and the insulaters and grommets in the coil over compress and could fail, either leaking or electrically shorting out. You should be able to loosen it with just a paper towel, no tools.

The top tip is much less tight. And the tank to battery less again. You should be able to loosen the tank from the battery with only using one hand.

With a new coil, put it in, fill the tank and WAIT. A good 10 minutes. Then take a few un-powered draws to ensure juice in the coil. Then the first 5 or so hits should be very short, like 1 second. Then you can increase your time. You are "breaking in" the coil. And this advise goes for Tritons, cartos, Nautilus, Kanger, any tank any coil.

And if possible, don't use a fresh battery for those first hits. (If you had a variable voltage device, also take the first hits at very low power, then slowly ramp it up to your sweet spot.)

Hey, it's a learning process. You still have a superb tank system.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Yes, we didn't mention that. Slow down. Take a hit, and mellow for a bit. The nicotine in a cig hits you in 9 to 12 seconds. The nic in vape takes much longer, 60 to 90 seconds. So give it time between puffs. If you feel heat at the top ring of the tank, it's a sign to slow down.

and try mouth to lung hits, not directly into the lungs. Take it into your mouth, then inhale it, if you wish. Vaped nic is absorbed in the mouth and nose. The much smaller and finer smoke nic is absorbed mostly deep in the lungs, giving the fast reaction.

And I know it's hard, but it's ok to let go and put the Triton down. I found the first few weeks, I'd have it constantly in my hand.

There is a lot to learn, vaping techniques, bats, tanks, coils, resistances, nic levels, flavors, ...

And good things to learn, like how your clothes and you don't smell like an ashtray. The cleaner car windows. The lack of the morning hacking cough. The return of the sense of taste.

:)

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
I've been rotating two coils. One each week, clean, dry and wait for next week while the other coil is in use.
My mother has three weeks on each coil now and 45ml of Tribeca through each coil.
She seems to break all the rules. Pushes button as she is lifting it to her mouth and lets the button go as she withdraws from her mouth.
I gave up trying to coach her and decided to do my best to keep the coils in good shape and change when necessary.
I test puff each morning after a fill up to make sure there is no burnt taste, even though I don't smoke personally.
The coils seem to last a long time.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
They really do last, Doc. They are the consumable part, and you are way past the curve.

I'm still amazed that I was able to totally stop smoking so relatively easily. And amazed at how much I'm enjoying vaping. Does your mother realize her amazing success at stopping smoking? Does she talk about vaping? Does she like it? Or is it just a routine, like taking a medication? Just wondering.

Cause she should be tickled pink and very proud of herself!!!

doctordun

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
TX
They really do last, Doc. They are the consumable part, and you are way past the curve.

I'm still amazed that I was able to totally stop smoking so relatively easily. And amazed at how much I'm enjoying vaping. Does your mother realize her amazing success at stopping smoking? Does she talk about vaping? Does she like it? Or is it just a routine, like taking a medication? Just wondering.

Cause she should be tickled pink and very proud of herself!!!

Actually with her dementia, all she cares about is that she is "smoking". She has finally stopped looking for her cigarettes and now considers her Triton as her cigarette. She no longer coughs at night and no coughing fits in the morning. I believe it is the ritual of smoking as much as the nicotine that is important to her.
We switched her to vapor as much for us as for her. In a non smoking home, this has been a wonderful thing for all of us, since she came to be in our care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread