trouble with MVP 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
Last night I was using my MVP as a passthru, I went to pick it up, and holy smokes was it hot, i disconnected everything and let it cool off. If i had to guess it was overcharged since most of the heat seem to come from my mini nautilus. I thought I might have blown a coil in it since i wasn't getting the flavor and vape production I was getting before, but everything is fine this morning. The charger I was using is the wall adapter that I received with my evic and the usb cable supplied with my mvp. I've used my phone charger on it before with no problems before but try not to use my phone charger when I can. Thank you for your time and ideas prior

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last night I was using my MVP as a passthru, I went to pick it up, and holy smokes was it hot, i disconnected everything and let it cool off. If i had to guess it was overcharged since most of the heat seem to come from my mini nautilus. I thought I might have blown a coil in it since i wasn't getting the flavor and vape production I was getting before, but everything is fine this morning.
This is perplexing. :confused:

Typically, the protection circuitry of the MVP should have prevented any over-charging of the Lipo battery pack inside of the MVP. It should also have heat protection (auto shutoff) and over-discharge protection (auto shutoff). It should also have short circuit protection against a blown coil or short in the coil (again, auto shutoff and refusing to fire).

My only suggestions are to check the coil resistance of the coil in the Nautilus to make sure its within normal range, and also to check how snug the coil head is in the Nautilus.

Reactions: johnkong

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
Thank @Baditude i was thinking the same thing. The coil resistance is still the same 1.8. I checked all that after I was able to cool it down. It just scared me how hot the tank got. It was full of juice as well. The heat I was feeling from the device I am unsure if was from the tank itself or the device itself. The device was decently warm around the top, but the tank was hot enough that i couldnt hold it for more than a second.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank @Baditude i was thinking the same thing. The coil resistance is still the same 1.8. I checked all that after I was able to cool it down. It just scared me how hot the tank got. It was full of juice as well. The heat I was feeling from the device I am unsure if was from the tank itself or the device itself. The device was decently warm around the top, but the tank was hot enough that i couldnt hold it for more than a second.
It sounds like the MVP had been autofiring the Nautilus on its own. Unless you were chain vaping which caused the Nautilus to feel so warm, in which case it would normally feel pretty warm or even hot.

Again, the protection circuitry of the MVP's processor should prevent this from happening, but we've been reading more and more recently of regulated box mods autofiring.

My main concern here is box mods like the MVP and iStick use an internal LiPo chemisty battery, which is not safe chemistry like the external batteries generally used in tube mods. While IMR batteries (safe chemistry) may still vent hot gas, ICR and LiPo batteries can vent hot gas, and produce flames and possibly explode.

This is the main reason I no longer use box mods that use internal batteries. I like to be able to choose what battery I put into my mods. Safety should always be one's first priority. In case you haven't already read my blog:

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Last night I was using my MVP as a passthru, I went to pick it up, and holy smokes was it hot, i disconnected everything and let it cool off. If i had to guess it was overcharged since most of the heat seem to come from my mini nautilus. I thought I might have blown a coil in it since i wasn't getting the flavor and vape production I was getting before, but everything is fine this morning. The charger I was using is the wall adapter that I received with my evic and the usb cable supplied with my mvp. I've used my phone charger on it before with no problems before but try not to use my phone charger when I can. Thank you for your time and ideas prior

you plug your mvp in to recharge, and you can take a vape off of it while charging; but you shouldn't chainvape on it while charging.

charging is one process that can generate heat;
and vaping is another process that will be generating heat;

and if you chainvape while charging, you're probably taking out more energy than is being put in to begin with.

the battery also needs to have relaxation time after charge

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hence why I am thinking overcharged?
I dunno. But an overcharge condition shouldn't cause an autofire. At most it should damage the battery. I suppose, technically, it is possible an overvoltage condition might have exceeded the breakdown voltage in some component and let the juice through. I'm not a EE, but this seems either unlikely or a really sloppy design. I would have expected better from Innokin.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
@edyle the reason I was using it while it charging is because it is advertised to be able to use as a passthrough. But I may not use it as such anymore. and thanks again @Baditude with the MVP while it is charging, there is no indication that its firing since the light is on while it is charging. This might just be the problem, I'll prob just keep an eye on it, turn it off while its charging from now on, thanks everyone

Reactions: suprtrkr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread