TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

spider41

Feb 7, 2010
Sussex
Any advise please
I am going to the canary Islands on Wed 3rd and I am worried about loosing my vaping stuff at the airport. When I booked with Thomson airways they said that vaping is not permitted on the aircraft which is fair enough, it's only 4 hours from the UK anyway.
What bothers me is that the person who sold me the holiday said that the ecig should be in my hand luggage and gave me a number to ring the airline and check, because I must of gave the impression that I didn't believe she was correct. I rang the airline and the guy went off to ask someone and came back after about 3 mins and said that all the ecigs and juice bottles were not permitted in the cabin and I should pack it in my case to go in the hold. I looked up on thomson website and found a PDF doc that outlines that spare lithium ion batteries should be kept in hand luggage with me in the cabin. The link is here, thomson.co.uk/editorial/editorial-downloads/Items-That-May-Be-Carried-By-Passengers.pdf You will have to put the ww bit into the link as I cannot post links yet.
I am confused as to what to do. I feel batteries are safer in the cabin where we can see them, rather than stuffed into a case in the hold where it would be too late if anything happened to them. After all, I'm on this plane too.
Thanks in advance

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
I have been through security twice in the last 8 days. I had a Prodigy v1 and a v2 along with batteries and chargers. Both times, my bags were examined by the TSA personnel. I did make it through both times. I also had a couple of 510s and they did not even look at those. I figure the Prodigy bodies look pretty suspicious to them on the xray, as expected. I just don't like the hassle. Next time I will probably check the big ones, and take the little ones with me.

I vaped in all of the airports and even a couple of planes, right at my seat. I just didn't do it in an obvious way.

Lilibet

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Virginia
I recently flew to New York to visit family for a few days. In my carry-on, I had my RN4072 in a case with extra batteries and atomizers, a disposable PV and my Chuck with extra batteries and atomizers, along with a small bottle of juice. I packed the chargers and extra juice in my suitcase. I had absolutely no problems with anything but on my return home through La Guardia, the TSA agent stopped the conveyor belt when he got to my bag, peered at the screen for a while then called over another agent. I was sure it was the Chuck but then they opened the bag and extracted a package containing 2 1/2 pounds of smoked mozzarella. The second agent took it and examined it and announced that it was cheese. So they returned it to my bag and I was on my way.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Now travelling with the TW Tornado. I did wonder whether its chunkier battery may attract attention - but nope. In the past week I've been through security in Glasgow, Amsterdam (twice at gates), Minneapolis (3 times) and Winnipeg (boy are they thorough, rifled right through my bags!) - all was fine. In a queue at MSP, I even dropped a bottle of menthol Misteliquid (transferring stuff from my burst baggie to a nice new one) and a lady picked it up for me and never glanced at it. Ace!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Space is right, just got though security at BCN. Never been through so much security.
You first go through the regular search, metal detector etc..
Then through immigration, now in the past they may have had a secondary search for random passengers. Now all passengers boarding for a flight to the states must divide into a male/Female line and they individually go through all your carry-on.
Make you turn on computers, cell phones, camera's, take out your clothes and do a body search.
They looked at my protege and just put it back in my bag, no concerns with my JS and liquids.
Here is a pict of the final search line with my Protege!

ExtrabagsearchBCN.jpg

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
Passed through security screening in Alaska at the airport. TSA wants you to put any liquids in a quart (litre) size ziplock bag that they provide. I put my e-liquid in there, a 5 ml bottle. You put the ziplock bag out where they can see it in one of the bins that goes through the scanner. The TSA person said, "Is that for those smokeless cigarettes?" I said yes, and she said, "I heard of those. That's cool." I had three 510's in my carry-on, along with extra batteries and a charger. Vaped in bathroom on flight. The person seated in my row with me probably thought I had a bladder problem the way I kept getting up to hit the toilet. When she fell asleep I vaped in my seat. Enjoyable flight.

Chicago to London: No one asked anything about the e-liquid at security. I talked to a Chicago cop who was the chief of security at Terminal 5 (I think that's the number). Showed him my 510 and liquid. He said "I couldn't give a crap if you smoked a real cigarette in the terminal." Chicago is another world. I vaped like mad in an empty boarding area and also re-charged all batteries. Wonderful flight, vaped all the way to London, mostly in my seat as the flight was at night and uncrowded.

London to Chicago return trip: Ridiculously lengthy security screenings. Went through one at the entry and one at the gate. No one even blinked at the e-cig paraphernalia. Vaped like a steam room both in my seat and in the toilet on the flight.

Chicago to Alaska: Again, no problem with TSA. Enjoyable flight with multiple vape opportunities.

Bottom line: I've yet to see a security checkpoint that could care less about your e-cigs. Vape on, and enjoy your travels.

(But carry a backup setup in your checked luggage just in case.)

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
So. if you can take your items on planes, can you use them as well?
D

Unless the day comes when the airlines allow vaping and non-vaping passengers become well-acquainted with e-cigs, I wouldn't think of openly vaping on a plane. It's easy enough to do it in the bathroom on the plane or, if you're on a night flight and they have the cabin lights off, do it discretely in your seat. (I made sure to cup the end of the e-cig so no one saw the light, and I blew the vapor down into my shirt, just because I'm kind of paranoid about someone making a big deal out of it.)

Imagine if a passenger three rows back spots the vapor in the beam of the reading light and thinks it's smoke. You could create a full-on panic. You might be able to convince those in the seats next to you that vaping is no big deal, but you wouldn't be able to let everyone within five rows know its harmless. The way passengers are psyched to beat up terrorists these days, you could be begging for something bad to happen. If you could make it through a flight without a cigarette back in the days before you started vaping, you can satisfy your needs by vaping in the bathroom or just doing without for the time you're in the plane.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I'm just a little confused, sorry, I know I shouldn't be after reading all 10 pages, but there seems that some people break their e-cigs down and some don't. Some carry them in their carry on some don't, etc.

I went to the airline I'm traveling on (going through the Atlanta airport..yuck) if I read right, the lithium batteries aren't allowed in the checked bags. Am I right about that? Did I read it right?

I will be carrying a GG (Greek Goddess) and a Prodigy with 8 batteries (2 sets for each e-cig), and some liquid.

1) Do I carry the extra batteries in my carry-on or do I remove them and put them in a bowl separate from the e-cig?

2) Do I just carry my GG and Prodigy in tact, i.e. batteries, atomizers, and case all together and put it in a separate bowl or just leave them in my carry-on or purse?

3) Or, do I break down the GG and Prodigy and carry the batteries separate from the case? If so, do I also carry the atomizers separate?

Sorry, please help. I'm too old to take all this stress ;)!!

Blessings,

SharonLM

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
Here is what I did:
1. Carried all lithium batts in my carry on.
2. I had 2 kits with me. An SD and an XHaler. Both in my carry on. I had one on me and the other broke down in my bag. I put the one on me in the change holder, AND GOT ASKED ABOUT IT. I demo'd it or them and they said good 2 go.
3. I had about 15 ml of juice in a clear quart ziplock bag. No questions asked. Put that in with the change holder also.
4. I had a 30ml bottle in my checked bagage.

On my return trip, I put everything except my batts and my SD with 2 cartomizers in my check bag. No problems.

i say carry lithium batts with you (that is actually the rule), break one kit down and put in checked, carry one kit with you and put liquid in quart ziplock.

Really I was worried, but I have had no probs in US w/ TSA.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Thanks Jolly:

So, I will put 6 lithium batteries and extra atomizers in my carry on, separated from any device. I will put my extra liquid in my checked bag. I will carry in my purse my GG with batteries in it and atomizer on it. I will put a small bottle of liquid (15ml) in a plastic bag separate from everything as is requested by TSA.

Is that right? Will that work?

Thank you so much!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I've posted this elsewhere but worth repeating:

Well whatever you do don't be vaping anything higher than 3.7v or with dual batteries. Folks around here have had their unprotected batteries vent, basically a mini explosion. Don't care if you are stealth vaping in your seat or in the bathroom, if that happens we will see you on the evening news as the "Vape Bomber".
Then game over for carrying any e-cig related items on to a plane.

Brazilleon

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Los Angeles, California
I've posted this elsewhere but worth repeating:

Well whatever you do don't be vaping anything higher than 3.7v or with dual batteries. Folks around here have had their unprotected batteries vent, basically a mini explosion. Don't care if you are stealth vaping in your seat or in the bathroom, if that happens we will see you on the evening news as the "Vape Bomber".
Then game over for carrying any e-cig related items on to a plane.

It's funny, but I was thinking exactly the same the other day when they had a false alarm in Denver. Some diplomat doing something unusual in the bathroom for a long time. Turns out he was actually sneaking a smoke. But as the news unfolded I almost expected it to turn out to be ecig and a ban to carry on. Not the case this time.
I'm flying to Europe in a couple of weeks. Ordered some snus to tie me over.

Just to be safe I think I'll pack my batteries in my carry on because from what I understand they can't go in the cargo hold and pack my ecig's themselves (minus the batteries) in my checked bag.

I've been vaping for a year now and can easily go 5 or 6 hours without vaping now. I'll take a 2mg. Commit lozenge with me in case I need it.

God forbid I get on the 6 O'clock news!! LOL

frequentflyer

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Houston
I can't say who I work for (they prohibit it) but I work for a major airline as an inflight crew member. Please call ahead and find out if you can vape on the plane. It varies among airlines apparently, although we ban it completely. You can end up in a LOT of trouble if you insist on using your PV in a banned airline (think arrest etc). What they are worried about is mods and attys (yes, I normally have both). Attys are heat sources and airlines are paranoid about heat and fire for good reason. If they ask you to stop it is probably because of the attys being a heating device. Please don't give your crew a hard time - they are following what they have been told, and a passenger NEVER wins an argument. Remember, these folks are there to keep you safe.

TSA is the same way. They are there to help, so be polite and explain. Remember we are carrying batteries, switches, heating elements and odd liquid. What does that sound like to you??? So be nice and polite, and life will be good.

And for 13Ways - I know crew and TSA clash and there are jerks on both ends, but we all really are working for the same thing. We love you guys and thanks.

frequentflyer, thank you so much for taking the time to answer this.

I wrote Airtran and they were kind enough to get back to me, but the site they sent me too didn't mention anything about e-cigarettes. However, I did find a site "safetravel.dot.gov" that has a LOT on safe travel with batteries, etc. I found out from other sites why they don't want the batteries in the checked baggage. Then, from the website above, they tell explicitly how to carry the batteries in the carry-on bag. I'm taking my copy of the reply from Airtran as well as the pages about the batteries with me in my carry-on.

Each battery that is "not" in the device will have electrical tape on the contacts and each battery will be in it's own (each separated) plastic bag.

I will NOT vape in public in the airport nor will I vape at all on the plane.

You're kind and I hope if I'm questioned you are around ;)!

Blessings,

Sharonlm

I can't say who I work for (they prohibit it) but I work for a major airline as an inflight crew member. Please call ahead and find out if you can vape on the plane. It varies among airlines apparently, although we ban it completely. You can end up in a LOT of trouble if you insist on using your PV in a banned airline (think arrest etc). What they are worried about is mods and attys (yes, I normally have both). Attys are heat sources and airlines are paranoid about heat and fire for good reason. If they ask you to stop it is probably because of the attys being a heating device. Please don't give your crew a hard time - they are following what they have been told, and a passenger NEVER wins an argument. Remember, these folks are there to keep you safe.

TSA is the same way. They are there to help, so be polite and explain. Remember we are carrying batteries, switches, heating elements and odd liquid. What does that sound like to you??? So be nice and polite, and life will be good.

And for 13Ways - I know crew and TSA clash and there are jerks on both ends, but we all really are working for the same thing. We love you guys and thanks.

frequentflyer

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Houston
I wrote Airtran and they were kind enough to get back to me, but the site they sent me too didn't mention anything about e-cigarettes. However, I did find a site "safetravel.dot.gov" that has a LOT on safe travel with batteries, etc. I found out from other sites why they don't want the batteries in the checked baggage. Then, from the website above, they tell explicitly how to carry the batteries in the carry-on bag. I'm taking my copy of the reply from Airtran as well as the pages about the batteries with me in my carry-on.

I will NOT vape in public in the airport nor will I vape at all on the plane.

Sharon - I think you took exactly the right approach. Contact your airline, print out the information to have with you and take the aproaches they ask you to. Polite behavior and documentation from your airline and TSA go a long way. Getting rude or cocky is a sure way to get someone to cause issues. Also having a card from your favorite supplier that has vaping info is also a great idea. Please keep in mind that what you can do in the airport is TOTALLY different from what you can do on the plane. I would say for the airport, talk to a police officer or other authority there with information like the card above. Follow what they suggest. They are usually really nice people and more curious than hostile.

Keep in mind that although stealth vaping is popular, it has a risk. If for some reason you are noticed, just think about what it looks like to others. A person with something small, electrical, and unknown. I know many mods like my Silver bullet bear a striking resemblance to IEDs. There is smoke being produced and they are being secretive about what they are doing... Sound like the shoe bomber to anyone??? At minimum you will be met and questioned and may be "restrained" by crew and passengers. Everyone should make their own decisions (we are all adults) but please know the risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread