Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on the Pico yet; atm that has been reading right at all times. It's just been my RX200, just to clarify. So far those are the only 2 I've installed on.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest stable version 170603??or something.

I didn't see any downloads to 170610 anywhere, where can I find it? Is that still a beta?

170610 is a nightly update.....
You find them in the AF discussion section......so yeah a beta.

My Pico only did it a couple times when battery was real low.

Saw people discussing issue and wismec.

I would also suggest 170611 is update for NFE.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I understand what "nightly update" means as two words stuck together, but I don't really understand what it means in the context of Arctic Fox. Do they literally release some tweak [nearly] nightly, or am I being thick?

Do you mean I can find it on the AF discussion section on their site?

Did you see people discussing this problem with Wismec across the board, or specific devices?

ATM my RX has been doing fine in SS mode for a while, no shorts, so that's good...

Thanks for the info!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I understand what "nightly update" means as two words stuck together, but I don't really understand what it means in the context of Arctic Fox. Do they literally release some tweak [nearly] nightly, or am I being thick?

Do you mean I can find it on the AF discussion section on their site?

Did you see people discussing this problem with Wismec across the board, or specific devices?

ATM my RX has been doing fine in SS mode for a while, no shorts, so that's good...

Thanks for the info!
Yes they do periodic beta updates. ..... Arcticfox itself is a work in progress....
They don't do update every day.. but as users identify bugs and suggestions. They do updates mist are bug fixes. But sometimes there are beta upgrades in thw nightlies.

The Releases are stable vetsions.. and in a seperation section of the forum or access via NFE.org.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Which version are you running? Nightly build 170610 fix the atomizer short issue in TC mode issue on my pico....

I spent the morning fiddling with my TC build on several different mods and atomizers and was getting the shorting problem with bare coils but not on my stand alone resistance tester and not when there is cotton and liquid on the coil. It sounds like this is a known bug? Should I try the 170610 build or wait for a new official release?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@93gc40 Got it, thanks a lot for the explainer. Is there any benefit to updating to one of the betas if I feel like the current version is working ok? Of course I've been getting that atomizer short problem but it's also working fine at the moment. How are you finding 170610? Sorry for all the questions, I just sort of ended up jumping in head first on this one. Don't regret it one bit though!

Should I try the 170610 build or wait for a new official release?

My question exactly.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
@93gc40 Got it, thanks a lot for the explainer. Is there any benefit to updating to one of the betas if I feel like the current version is working ok? Of course I've been getting that atomizer short problem but it's also working fine at the moment. How are you finding 170610? Sorry for all the questions, I just sort of ended up jumping in head first on this one. Don't regret it one bit though!

My question exactly.
Not near my PC so can't do link.... but from the forum menu... it's 5 or 6 topics down...... in the Arctic Fox area of the forum.

I agree re betas.... if the Stable version is doing good.... wait for the next release...... but i still DL and try the betas as they come out... a couple of them have fixed issues I was having. A couple have caused issues.

I had to do the post 170603 updates because I was seeing an intermittent issue of the mod reporting No Atomizer. So far 170610 has fixed the issue. I think.
Not 100% sure as because the error only happened with low battery.. I also modified the battery profile to more acurate reflect levels. This may be masking the issue.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
The pico should actually lock thevresistance... but if you push the fire button it will change.. but should return to set temp after firing... only time I could not lock mine using eleaf or AF ware was when trying to lock on kanthal or Nichrome when in TC modes.

The problem is, if you change coils and your new coil is only a few hundredths of an ohm different (I've read maybe 5% or so), the Pico retains the setting you last had it locked at and doesn't give you the "New coil up same down" message to allow you to lock in the new coil, yet 0.02 and 0.03 ohms difference has a big effect on temperature accuracy. After researching the problem I found a workaround and tested and modified it to make sure your Pico locks in the NEW coil resistance every time:
Eleaf iStick "pico"
If you never see the "New coil up same down" message when you change coils, you aren't locking in to the resistance of the new coil no matter how many times you press Lock - its the resistance of the last coil you're seeing (sometimes will just jump back to it if you lightly click fire).

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I'm still exploring all the features in the program itself; can someone tell me if, when working with a power curve, can you go fully custom from scratch? Or do you have to start with one of the six default and edit if you want? Like, if you go into "advanced" I think, you can select curve and then there's six I believe, which it seems like you can edit but I can't see a way to create an entirely new one. I know how you can set a simple preheat function (I've got that on right now with my M3M) but I'd be curious about a full custom curve. Thanks!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I'm still exploring all the features in the program itself; can someone tell me if, when working with a power curve, can you go fully custom from scratch? Or do you have to start with one of the six default and edit if you want? Like, if you go into "advanced" I think, you can select curve and then there's six I believe, which it seems like you can edit but I can't see a way to create an entirely new one. I know how you can set a simple preheat function (I've got that on right now with my M3M) but I'd be curious about a full custom curve. Thanks!
You have to modify one of the profiles and rename to make your own.... I used the linear curve. Since it doesn't do anything anyway.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
That's exactly what I landed on; thank you for the confirmation. The included curves are pretty usable, anyway. On something like the Minikin 2, anyway, it's absolute wattage only, so the fact that AF also has relative curve functions somewhat decreases the need for a custom curve...

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I trouble shooted the atomizer short issue with the current version and believe I have it resolved for my situation. I was getting the atomizer short message with dry coils doing a cotton burn test but if I went ahead and wicked the coil and flooded the juice well of my rda things worked as normal. I believe the developers modified the atomizer short criteria and didn't account for certain situations. I went to one of the later nightly builds and the problem is gone. There was a note for a previous nightly build that suggested they removed the programing that causes the issue.. I suspect most people will never have the problem and it will be gone from the next release.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I've loaded Artic Fox on my new Brushed Gunmetal Pico. Loaded dna200 csv file for SS 317L on it from Steam Engine. Love being able to see real time data trends with NFE tools. Pico live resistance varies quite a bit when sitting cold. Controls arround temperature setpoint very well. AF is an engineers dream but simple to use.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 52anddone

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
As soon as I have a computer handy I am gonna give this a try with some ss builds, I am very interested in how my mods would perform after reading through this thread. I don't use my rx2/3 that much but would be willing to if it would give decent tc :) I don't have much experience with tc but when I have used ss it has been the smoothest most flavourful vape I've ever tried.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
As soon as I have a computer handy I am gonna give this a try with some ss builds, I am very interested in how my mods would perform after reading through this thread. I don't use my rx2/3 that much but would be willing to if it would give decent tc :) I don't have much experience with tc but when I have used ss it has been the smoothest most flavourful vape I've ever tried.
good luck. I like my rx2/3 and rx200s (3 total in rotation right now) in SS TC mode with the latest factory firmware but I did not like the ArcticFox SS TC vape at all on any of the included profiles. I also tried it on a pico at lower watt / higher ohm and didn't care for it there either.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
good luck. I like my rx2/3 and rx200s (3 total in rotation right now) in SS TC mode with the latest factory firmware but I did not like the ArcticFox SS TC vape at all on any of the included profiles. I also tried it on a pico at lower watt / higher ohm and didn't care for it there either.
I'm gonna give it a try but it might end up being overrated

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I'm gonna give it a try but it might end up being overrated
It was for me but I didn't feel like having to mess with the software to fine tune or search out csv files that would give me a vape better than what I am used to/prefer. Let us know how you get on. If you like it I may have to give it another try and mess with the software or search out some csv profiles.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I've been using AF for may be 3 months. I consider myself a tootle puffer, NOT a power user. I keep 4 mods in service that all have the firmware. I wouldn't buy a mod that isn't compatible.
I don't usually vape below 100w (0.1 - 0.3 ohms, 420 - 470f) on my 2 and 3 battery mods. On the pico I tried AF in the 40-60w range (0.4 - 0.6 ohms usually) and didn't care for it at all with the stock SS profiles. Weak vape with no vapor/flavor or throat hit for me at all.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I don't usually vape below 100w (0.1 - 0.3 ohms, 420 - 470f) on my 2 and 3 battery mods. On the pico I tried AF in the 40-60w range (0.4 - 0.6 ohms usually) and didn't care for it at all with the stock SS profiles. Weak vape with no vapor/flavor or throat hit for me at all.
If you don't like the stock wire profiles they can be changed, right? AF doesn't change the accuracy of the electronics that measure resistance or volts or wattage. It's a more elaborate interface for what's already there. Mods should be like PC's where the electronics, form factors and software are done by different companies that specialize in each area. AF sort of closes that circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread